Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

The unecessary bloom was caused by a bad implementarion of HDR. That was solved and is a point of pride even for Maruk>

Well, the lighting. We’ve been doing eye accommodation and HDR since our game on Xbox 1, but one of the frequent complaints of Arma 2 was that the eye accommodation did not feel right. So we have done some fundamental changes to do that, to try and make it fully realistic, but also comfortable for the player. That’s a difficult problem, because the dynamic range in real life is huge. The human eye can see under artificial light, but then daylight is a hundred thousand times more intense. That is a huge scale of light conditions to simulate. But we want to make that more natural to the human eye, and I think getting that right will make the game immediately much better for players.

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=news&id=5909&game=2

Much better.

Dynamo;2288799']or they can tone it down bit.

True, or if not at least make ambient occlusion and PP separate options so you don't need to have PP set to a minimum of 'normal' just to have SSAO on. Having a separate motion blur option from PP would be nice too while we're on the topic.

well, i agree with it, actually most games, UT3 or farcry 3 for example, got bloom, blur and AO separate, u can turn them on and off independent, so why not do the same way in arma 3? Also since we do speak about ambient occlusion, i wish BIS would add different occlusion types. I love HDAO, i doesn't create weird black or white aura around like SSAO does, imo most realistic AO type.

SSAO implementations vary, aura you mentioned is just a result of one of these implementations, there are SSAO solutions without weird aura.

I agree that the game looks great but the shadows are a small pet peeve of mine. Rather than having very dark blackish shadows

True, shadows in daylight, hell even noon would be a bit lighter and have a more blueish tint rather than a pure black, as though it were created by high powered white light. Ah well, can't have it all.

SSAO implementations vary, aura you mentioned is just a result of one of these implementations, there are SSAO solutions without weird aura.

Just for discussion, does anyone know what system Planetside uses for AO? It's the best I've ever seen, for those who haven't seen it it's like big shadows (trees etc) are done with regular shadows but little shadows, like those on guns or rocks on the ground are done through AO.

EDIT: Also, regarding bloom. The new bloom model is very different, reminds me of a 90's TV show or having gunk in my eyes, better than the old artificial looking bloom. I may play with it for the aesthetic look of it. Though I do hope we can choose to enable/disable bloom, dof, AO and motion blur independently.

Edited by SQB-SMA

Well there's still focus testing up ahead and it will probably last until March. So... March.

Well there's still focus testing up ahead and it will probably last until March. So... March.

Wonder why the news item on the focus testing was taken down from the BIS homepage, though... Change of plan, maybe, but that's probably just me getting over-exited again :)

Interesting, the upcoming new informations might be about the Alpha :)

Not seeing that :|

The actual picture on the group page doesn't have the green 'ALPHA' bar but the little thumbnail in the 'groups' page of my profile (http://steamcommunity.com/id/USERNAME/groups) does. Maybe it's a cache thing though; like I said today was the first time I've logged into Steam in forever.

Yeah the steam group image is new. But guys let's keep the thread clear for actual info, m'kay? KTHXBAI :o

Official A3 Website is currently updating, Steam Alpha group created, New Logo showing Alpha... I think that Alpha release is getting closer and closer. As you may see - when Ivan and Martin got home ARMA3 is again live!

BTW The most important thing for us is that the Alpha will exist :)

Now we are all interested whether it will be free or not, and when it will be :)

In Coming !!!!!:yay:

lmao i read: "i'm comming" first. :D

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Official A3 Website is currently updating, Steam Alpha group created, New Logo showing Alpha... I think that Alpha release is getting closer and closer. As you may see - when Ivan and Martin got home ARMA3 is again live!

BTW The most important thing for us is that the Alpha will exist :)

Now we are all interested whether it will be free or not, and when it will be :)

actually, i don't care now if it's free or nor. More important that it should be open alpha, so everyone who wishes can try it, paying or not.

I'm getting excited again.... I'll be monitoring this thread daily like I was back in the day.

In a recent interview with a DayZ streamer Dean "Rocket" Hall accidentally revealed Arma 3 has a blood dripping feature when wounded, blood can be seen on the ground leaving a distinct trail. He also confirms bullet casings can be found around the weapon and on the ground after a firefight, unlike in Arma 2 they disappear.

I can't find which video he says it in but it was one of these:

Apparently, BIS has acquired a new tool to pack and compile code or seems to replace BinPBO.

See these tweets by Pettka and Gekonn

Victory is near - we have a new tool. It doesn't do anything useful yet, but we have it. Pity @gekonn has to use it soon(ish). #gamedev
one tool to tool them all, one tool to find them, one tool to pack them all and into darkness compile them #gamedev #localization