Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Really nice to see some news.

The guys walking the same way is a little weird. And noticed the Grass Draw distance, seems to be the same as ArmA II =\ (Wish it was a little more farther )

i agree, i hope they will add "grass view distance" sliders, next to "view distance" and "object view distance".

#1:yay: just gotta say..WOW..an would die to know the specs of the pc this was taken on. looks like 3000-5000 view distance..i hope my pc dont crap out on me 8)-

Update!!

http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/projects/352-new-name-for-main-island-in-arma-3

New name for main island in Arma 3

Bohemia Interactive has renamed the main island of its upcoming mil-sim game, Arma 3. The new name, ‘Altis’, reflects the distinctive Mediterranean identity of its environment, but distinguishes it from the real-world Greek island of Lemnos, which has served as the main source of inspiration.

The decision follows an incident involving the arrest of two Bohemia Interactive employees, who were spending their holidays on Lemnos. Both were detained for 129 days on suspicion of espionage. They were recently released on bail.

Arma 3’s main island (approx. 350 km²) is inspired by the beautiful environment of the Greek island, Lemnos (approx. 475 km²), artistically re-created based on commercially and publicly available data. It was originally chosen to be the centre-piece of the game after Bohemia Interactive's CEO, Marek Spanel, visited the island on vacation several years ago and shared his impressions with the Arma 3 development team.

However, in view of recent events, the team no longer feels passionate about using the previous name, 'Limnos', and hopes that the new identity, ‘Altis’, will help emphasize the fictional nature of the game. A secondary, significantly smaller island in Arma 3, ‘Stratis’ (approx. 20 km²), will keep its name.

Joris-Jan van ‘t Land, Project Lead on Arma 3, explains: "As part of the creative process, our virtual environments are often rooted in real-life locations and, during development, they evolve and grow along with our design. The resulting fictional environment is often close to its inspiration, but it's never exactly the same - nor would we want it to be. For us, 'Altis' echoes the Mediterranean heart of our island, but differentiates it from any undesired real-life connotations.â€

Starting with the successful Arma: Cold War Assault (originally titled Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis*) in 2001, Arma 3 is the latest installment in the award-winning tactical military shooter series by Bohemia Interactive. This PC-exclusive video game, which is set in 2035, provides an authentic combat experience in a massive military sandbox. Running on a brand new version of the Real Virtualityâ„¢ engine, Arma 3 features a wide variety of single- and multiplayer gameplay - supported by limitless opportunities for content creation.

Arma 3 is scheduled for release in 2013. More precise details will be announced in February.

Plus, two new screenshots? Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2

Altis sounds better than Lemnos.

I actually agree. Something about the letter string "A-l-t" makes words sound very nice to me.

I actually agree. Something about the letter string "A-l-t" makes words sound very nice to me.

Maybe it's Altis because It's actually Alternative island name ;)

Now we know that Iran is after the vast oil reserves of the island.

Virgin olive oil. :)

Pv9m04fs.jpg

This Screen is realy beautiful a graphical competition with BF3 :)

I want an HD version for a wall in 1080p.

alternative island = altis

Good observation!

In addition to that, Altis is also the name of the sacred grove of Zeus :)

Update!!

http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/projects/352-new-name-for-main-island-in-arma-3

New name for main island in Arma 3

Bohemia Interactive has renamed the main island of its upcoming mil-sim game, Arma 3. The new name, ‘Altis’, reflects the distinctive Mediterranean identity of its environment, but distinguishes it from the real-world Greek island of Lemnos, which has served as the main source of inspiration.

The decision follows an incident involving the arrest of two Bohemia Interactive employees, who were spending their holidays on Lemnos. Both were detained for 129 days on suspicion of espionage. They were recently released on bail.

Snip

Plus, two new screenshots? Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2

Those screenshots look really great.;)

The new name sounds good:D

It all looks pretty amazing so far(exept for the Ivan&Martin issue)and I think renaming it was a good choise in my opinion, Bis alway went for strange names when it came to naming their island's, thats all part off the Arma magic. and the pics are indeed stunning,cant wait to see some more!

In addition to that, Altis is also the name of the sacred grove of Zeus :)

Some has been doing their research ;)

Some has been doing their research ;)

hehe feels good being back again :D Was just writing you a PM

Though I wonder if there's anything else you can squeeze out of that

I just hope they hadn't recorded too much in-game voice dialogue (for the campaign etc.) before deciding to change the name. It's not like you can modify audio with a simple grep replace. :D

I just hope they hadn't recorded too much in-game voice dialogue (for the campaign etc.) before deciding to change the name. It's not like you can modify audio with a simple grep replace. :D

usually voice overs, are at later stage of projects as far i know, well at least rephrasing just 1 phrase, shouldn't be dramatic at all i think. :)

well, u can still turn PP effects off :)

or they can tone it down bit. no need to play the game as if looking through foggy goggles...

i'm almost tempted to send BIS a bottle of FogTec so they can clean some of that haze/fog/bloom off the screen.

The white building and wind mill do not glow...wait...they do not glow?...They do not glow! Quick, we need a screenshots with cows to confirm the loss of white glow!

But seriously it's nice to see that the glare issue is gone from whites and other rich bright colors, I'm falling in love with Arma 3's shading and art direction more and more...in an age of coffee filtered, grey, muddy shooters, it's nice to see that Arma 3 is being kept to the style of reality authenticity with rich vibrant colors and glare not present everywhere.

Now we just need ambient occlusion that doesn't come with other post-processing junk as a bonus.

The white building and wind mill do not glow...wait...they do not glow?...They do not glow! Quick, we need a screenshots with cows to confirm the loss of white glow!

But seriously it's nice to see that the glare issue is gone from whites and other rich bright colors, I'm falling in love with Arma 3's shading and art direction more and more...in an age of coffee filtered, grey, muddy shooters, it's nice to see that Arma 3 is being kept to the style of reality authenticity with rich vibrant colors and glare not present everywhere.

I agree that the game looks great but the shadows are a small pet peeve of mine. Rather than having very dark blackish shadows, I think that grey-blue shadows compliment the bright bloom much better. Here's an example from Mafia 2:

This is about looking realistic, not "cool". There's no bloom in reality either so better to get rid of it - which BIS did it seems.