Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

They havent mentioned tripwires since last years gamescom... I hope those didn't get cut too...

I'm fairly certain tripwires are in the game, though I don't know if they're automatically placed along with a mine or if they can be placed separately.

is what I'm working off.

Tripwires are there. The video shows one up close as Ivan disarms it.

He said that he had a mine detector toolkit so not everyone will be able to see it at least.

It's enough to have one dude telling you where not to step or worse - disarming a carefully placed mine.

The problem here is that the device marks the mine very precisely. It can be hidden in the tall grass and yet it will still detect it from afar.

What's the point in having traps when detecting them will take zero effort? It's much better having proximity beeps when you get that device out as it will take the skill and keen eye for an engineer and his squad to find them - something that was always important in ArmA.

Edited by metalcraze

It's enough to have one dude telling you where not to step or worse - disarming a carefully placed mine.

Don't give them the toolkit/engineer then.

That's not a solution. It's about having device and making it interesting to play with, not the binary "give the device - and all carefully placed traps (say in PvP since AI most likely won't even be able to avoid them device or not) are visible/not give the device and it's a pure luck now".

Detector in Stalker was done rather well if a bit too sci-fi'ish but BIS can get an idea or two from it.

I agree with metalcraze - the mines would make for a much more interesting gameplay mechanic if detecting them was less accurate in some way.

Usually those kind of helpers are only available in lower difficulty settings, 3D markers etc.

Usually those kind of helpers are only available in lower difficulty settings, 3D markers etc.

But without markers the mine detectors in their current iteration would be seemingly useless, since that's the only function they appear to do.

I'm fairly certain tripwires are in the game, though I don't know if they're automatically placed along with a mine or if they can be placed separately.
is what I'm working off.

YES!!! I can't believe I never noticed that before, and I saw the vid twice, but still, glad I'm it got pointed out, thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

I agree with metalcraze - the mines would make for a much more interesting gameplay mechanic if detecting them was less accurate in some way.

Same here +1

This mine detection process is too fast and too precise. Just have a look at current real mine/IED detection and removal procedures. Maybe have some different detectable mines and some "jamming" things to add manually around. Such things could disturb detection but aren't that noticeable in the first place. Btw the change between different scopes/sights etc seem to be too fast and instant - what about proper attaching/detaching animations + reasonable time to adjust/check these things?

Things I've gathered from the video that they're working on:

1) Entering vehicle animations

2) A new in-game UI instead of the "classic" mouse-wheel selections

3) Polishing the new Inventory system

4) The new in-game Help system (the HAL3000 combat handbook) might of course get expanded

5) RTT vehicle screens work in reduced (possibly as mentioned before, customizable) frame rate

6) Extended sound system, including "beefed-up" effects and positioning

They may well still be working on particle effects and polishing the interaction with the world objects (such as the mines). Reloading animation I get the feel that they are complete (if not for all weapons) and will remain as presented. Generally it seems that most, if not all character animations are complete, even though we have not seen specific ones such as ladder climbing and static weaponry handling. Some demonstrated actions seem to lack (at least at present) animations, such as changing clothes, weapon attachments, etc.

Any fine-tuning and bigger changes will happen after the alpha is out and the testers find something disagreable.

We have yet to see in action

- Fixed wing aircraft (and their cockpits, HUD and functionality)

- Armored vehicles, APCs, MTB, etc (and their interiors)

- Vehicle customizations

- 2D Editor refinements, including the new language changes and Java

- Building and vehicle destruction effects (possibly the current system with more debris particle effects)

- Undeground structures (they well could be delayed for a later DLC)

- Limnos in its whole glory, Myrina and other large towns (and its acropolis castle, large church and other special buildings), the salt field and other special places of interest. It could come out quite spectacular.

Things that will probably remain the same:

- Thermal view, night vision, simplified artillery operation and perhaps vehicle penetration, moving in vehicles and radio operation as those are big features that would have been mentioned if they were been worked on.

The only thing that I am nit-picking on and wish they could work on, is the absence of any effect of waves meeting the coastal rock formation. I know its tiny detail and silly and it looks like an engine limitation (the rocks are objects placed on the terrain and as such the water doesn't seem to "see" them and it interacts with the terrain only).

Edited by arigram

We did see some sort of armored vehicle in the Vehicles showcase.

We did see some sort of armored vehicle in the Vehicles showcase.

Indeed the Hunter is armored, but in my mind it belongs to the "military car" category, in regards to having (apart from wheels) a common car interior with doors, wheel and large glass windshield instead of being a closed up "box" of viewports, periscopes and screens as it would be with ACPs, IFVs, MBTs and other mobile acronyms. The difference is largely the way the crew sees the environment, both the modelled interior and the way they look at the outside world, directly (viewport with simple outside rendering) or indirectly (RTT screens). The Hunter shows active RTT screens (including the mirrors) and one partially or completely innactive, of the gunner position, so its not so far removed from the other type of vehicle.

I am pondering though the existence of a more modelled computer interface in aircraft cockpits (detailed HUD and MFDs) and tanks (fire control computer).

Oh, I forgot to mention

- Physics in particle effects as demonstrated by the downwash of the rotor affecting the smoke trails of the rockets fired by the helicopter. To be pointed out it might well be a complete, global effect and not a pre-scripted visual trick for that specific occasion. If one takes in account the improved smoke particles of grenade explosion (that were mentioned in the very first videos along with ragdoll), PhysX most definitely affects the world beyond character models and vehicles.

Edited by arigram

Hello? It's later. I want my free, completely un-earned, instantaneous fix of digital ARMA 3 crack that you so 'passionately' pilfered! nnnaaaaooowwww..... (I'll get some fluffy kittens if I have to) ;)

On the non-trolling front: I watched all (2 of) the videos available, and repeatedly mumbled "I could play that for the next 10 years". The arty and new particles are nothing short of stunning. Very satisfying to watch.

-The PhysX does indeed affect the environment much more so than first expressed. The fluid character animation and Colin McWhatever (ruined C.M. title) quality vehicle handling may be the meat and potatos of the alterations, but the collision detection and particle/environmental interactions open up a world of possibilities.

Looks pretty damn real, sounds great, 'feels' about right from an observed gameplay POV. Was out shooting AR-15s two weeks ago, and felt quite close to the responsiveness when the player shot down the three targets in a rapid succession with controllable climb. Saw that and had a 'hell yeah' moment.

Keep it up BIS!

New Rule: MLRS in every mission. Nothing that sexy should be left out, ever. :)

borat-very-nice.jpg?v0

The MRLS launch and the impact itself is VERY believable, that random spread on target also adds authenticity, and O-M-G shell artillery particles shooting out the side of the muzzle suppressor is something we didn't even dream about - the particles used in each situation is perfect, nothing less, nothing more.

What's new since E3: claymore mines and tripwire IEDs, presumably, with other kinds of personnel mines. I remember having a blast (-trollface-) rigging various WF town capture points in ACE2 with claymore/tripwires, but now with 70-90% of the buildings being enter-able in ArmA III, you can expect a lot more sneaky action.

At 20:11 there are some sparks against the metal railings - reminds me of Source engine tech demo back in 2003, showcasing different material simulation: from wood to plastic and concrete - could it be...?! Is PhysX a miracle worker? ;)

Is PhysX a miracle worker? ;)

Yup, that's certainly it. There's nothing it can't do.

I might as well steal your old sig now - "IT'S A SIMULATORZ, MAEK OL THE THINGS, DEVS!" If you don't mind, of course. :p The particles is definitely Nvidia's work, I tell you!

44b7oOn32CI

If people can get the hang of it in such a noisy environment, then BIS have done a great job on ergonomics and user-friendliness. :)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Oh, I forgot to mention

- Physics in particle effects as demonstrated by the downwash of the rotor affecting the smoke trails of the rockets fired by the helicopter. To be pointed out it might well be a complete, global effect and not a pre-scripted visual trick for that specific occasion. If one takes in account the improved smoke particles of grenade explosion (that were mentioned in the very first videos along with ragdoll), PhysX most definitely affects the world beyond character models and vehicles.

Which video, when?

Things I've gathered from the video that they're working on:

1) Entering vehicle animations

2) A new in-game UI instead of the "classic" mouse-wheel selections

3) Polishing the new Inventory system

4) The new in-game Help system (the HAL3000 combat handbook) might of course get expanded

5) RTT vehicle screens work in reduced (possibly as mentioned before, customizable) frame rate

6) Extended sound system, including "beefed-up" effects and positioning

They may well still be working on particle effects and polishing the interaction with the world objects (such as the mines). Reloading animation I get the feel that they are complete (if not for all weapons) and will remain as presented. Generally it seems that most, if not all character animations are complete, even though we have not seen specific ones such as ladder climbing and static weaponry handling. Some demonstrated actions seem to lack (at least at present) animations, such as changing clothes, weapon attachments, etc.

Any fine-tuning and bigger changes will happen after the alpha is out and the testers find something disagreable.

- Fixed wing aircraft (and their cockpits, HUD and functionality)

- Vehicle customizations

- 2D Editor refinements, including the new language changes and Java

- Building and vehicle destruction effects (possibly the current system with more debris particle effects)

- Undeground structures (they well could be delayed for a later DLC)

- Limnos in its whole glory, Myrina and other large towns (and its acropolis castle, large church and other special buildings), the salt field and other special places of interest. It could come out quite spectacular.

Things that will probably remain the same:

- Thermal view, night vision, simplified artillery operation and perhaps vehicle penetration, moving in vehicles and radio operation as those are big features that would have been mentioned if they were been worked on.

The only thing that I am nit-picking on and wish they could work on, is the absence of any effect of waves meeting the coastal rock formation. I know its tiny detail and silly and it looks like an engine limitation (the rocks are objects placed on the terrain and as such the water doesn't seem to "see" them and it interacts with the terrain only).

I still don't think vehicle customization has been "confirmed", unless it was mentioned in today's videos and I simply missed it.

Vehicle customization has been mentioned as part of developer's wishlist in one of the czech vids from last year Gamescom, I think.

Hey! You have HATS in your description of what the miracle of PhysX can do.. Now we have a hat simulator?!?!

Can we now do THIS?:

(~17 sec mark)

Have Ivan demo it, please oh please

[/sarc.. would be fun to do that in PVP though]