Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

is it me or are the LOD's for the distant trees much nicer looking now (than arrowhead that is).

Yeah it's looking amazing now.

Actually, that looks like the heavy vest also worn by the guy in the background on this screenshot: http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/doupe_cz_e3_2012_1_4.jpg <- the EBR marksman.

Either that, or we´re collectively hallucinating.

Although these pictures from PC Gamer are truly beautiful, we all know they're not the "real deal". We know there will be LOD issues and blurred shadows with jaggies.

Just take a brief look over this picture: http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/07/Arma3_screenshot_1207_02.jpg

You have surely noticed the shadows I mentioned above. For sure these are just some little details, but they tarnish the overall impression of the game.

I would love to see this kind of shadows corrected and instead of grass suddendly appearing, a nice simple fade-in. This way LOD transitions would be less noticeable and

would fit much better in the gameworld. I am a little bit disappointed that some of the biggest problems of the ArmA series are not tackled in the third generation of the game.

Greetings

CriminalMinds

Actually, they stated that they are working on deferred shading as well, even though they think it won't be ready for launch. The whole shadowing will then be much different at some point. In some other screenshots, the shadows do no seem as jagged, so it may just be a question of setting.

I would love to see this kind of shadows corrected and instead of grass suddendly appearing, a nice simple fade-in.

Yes! that's what is needed. I knew there was something wrong with the way grass popped in but could never put my finger on it. This simply change will go a long way to making the game feel better.

I agree though. In arma the difference between a screen shot and actual gameplay is big due to weird transitions flickering etc.

Actually, that looks like the heavy vest also worn by the guy in the background on this screenshot: http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/doupe_cz_e3_2012_1_4.jpg <- the EBR marksman.

Either that, or we´re collectively hallucinating.

No, you're right. The standard Iranian LBV has a satchel on the back. That vest in the pic you posted doesn't. So either they're the same vest, or we're seeing two new vests.

Actually, they stated that they are working on deferred shading as well, even though they think it won't be ready for launch. The whole shadowing will then be much different at some point. In some other screenshots, the shadows do no seem as jagged, so it may just be a question of setting.

As someone pointed out previously, don't think that deferred shading is "holy grail" solution for lighting, because that technique has its own problems. In current solutions it's cool but far from perfect, why do you think BIs solution wouldn't introduce new, maybe even worse problems?

Ivan Buchta interview on http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePodcast17

this is not everything because I couldn't hear some parts

- less guns, more detailed

- weapon attachments are interchangeable (custom guns, custom attachments work with stock guns etc)

- no 3D editor most likely, enhancements to 2D

- public alpha fall

- warfare gone, new similar replacement game mode which will be more realistic

- easily portable A2 addons

- no alternative AI behaviour

- AI stays fundamentally the same but better configured

- game is maybe 2/3 done

- they can't design stuff right now because of physics

EDIT

- better radio messages (at least I think he wanted to say that)

maybe he said other interesting stuff or just I am deaf, its 1 hour long and I am too lazy to listen to it again

Edited by frostwyrm333

- no 3D editor most likely

W H A T ? ? :butbut: :butbut:

Good Lord Buchta - this can't be true............. :(

Edited by Undeceived

Where is the Interview? In this Video i only see 2 Guy´s talking about some useless stuff.

Ugh. Heart dropped a little here. AI is just such a huge part of this game especially for SP'er/Co-op'ers that hearing that theyll 'basically the same' is disappointing to say the least. What does 'no alternate AI behaviour' actually mean?

I think I'm not alone here in wishing for this newsflash "Vastly improved AI with new Pathfinding, suppression and CQB behavior"...:(

they can't design stuff right now because of physics

Excited for physics tho :)

Where is the Interview? In this Video i only see 2 Guy´s talking about some useless stuff.

U7ZO9I9OjDY

As someone pointed out previously, don't think that deferred shading is "holy grail" solution for lighting, because that technique has its own problems. In current solutions it's cool but far from perfect, why do you think BIs solution wouldn't introduce new, maybe even worse problems?

Maybe because the goal is to improve the system? Glass is half full? ;)

They fixed networking quite well (interpolating is not perfect, but much better) in 1.60. I'm sure they are doing a bit more evaluation of what specific feature goes into their workflow than 'poke and hope', also, they are proving this time around the QA is seriously improved.

So... ARMA3 won't be a good game IMO. Reasons? No 3D editor, No new AI... Public Alpha fall?? Great so we even cannot test the game so It will end with full of bugs like A2.

- weapon attachments are interchangeable (custom guns, custom attachments work with stock guns etc)

Hmm in this case does interchangeable mean that you can put any weapon's scope on any other weapon or will it mean that there will be only one type of sniper scope which you can put on any weapon?

I know there will be a variety of optics available e.g. red dot, nv, combat sight, sniper sight.. but if the zoom optics on the barrett are the same as the zoom optics you'd put say on a dragunov it would be a bit weird no?

Maybe I'm commenting too soon, I feel like I'm not well enough informed about weapon customization... maybe someone could enlighten me?

Yeah - language barriers are deadly sometimes. No worries, danny - the public alpha will (probably ;) ) take place in that time where the leaves fall from the trees (at least in the northers hemisphere).

I'm just disappointed by the possible lack of the 3D-editor and I'm sceptical about that fundamentally same AI.

Damn, I need a 3D-editor! It saves SO much time for creating scenes (placing objects for ambience) in mission editing (compared to a 2D editor). I use that buggy 3D editor in Arma 2 a lot for those purposes!

Please, BI, have mercy... :( At least include the hidden one again, if you can't finish and polish it up until release!

Edited by Undeceived

Alpha fall,

As in its released in Autumn?

Alpha fall,

As in its released in Autumn?

Yes... They said it themselves that the Alpha will come after Gamescom, which is at the end of August.

I found that quite comical that fall could = cancelled or even fallen over :) Maybe "Fail" at a push, but anyway, good to see a time put to when it will happen.

3D editor debacle is interesting, many I would imagine who edit will actual chin stroke heavily about this, I wonder if it might not come on release but will be rolled out post patches?

Says to me ASR_AI and other such mods can extend this anyway, so to me Im not going to have too much issue about AI behaviour. Im still thinking that Pathfinding and driving is something that is classed as better configured and tweaked though, stands to reason it has to for vehicle types and map types.

Edited by mrcash2009

@froggyluv

alternative behaviour - AI reacting differently, professionally, cowardly, etc etc

AI - AFAIK they never said the AI will be substantially improved, I don't know why would anyone think that. They are not going to change the entire system but they are going to enhance it, possibly in a way like ZEUS does. Doesn't mean that AI will stay the same, there is room for improvement, maybe proper utilization of multi-threading and stuff like that.

@SASrecon well, thats what he said, that you will be able to use different parts on different guns, make new attachments for stock guns, not much more. Compatibility between sides or other limits are unknown.

- they can't design stuff right now because of physics - they have problems with designing missions

sorry for ambiguity, I just typed what I heard

AI reaction times, cover pathfinding and spotting just isn't human enough. Some of these stuff needs some real nuts-and-bolts reworking. If the AI is just ArmA 2-with-ASR-plus-a-little, I won't feel that sorry for not having a computer that can run it.

They've got the controls and usability part down, it seems. Great.

But physics and lighting are worth almost nothing compared to the AI. The AI is the game. You're only going to ragdoll off a lighthouse every now and then, but the AI is always there. Fighting insurgents with your friends online is no excuse for incomplete AI.

Well, they had to choose and graphics, animations and physics got more priority. Using new animations the AI could be CQB friendlier.

Edited by frostwyrm333

Ivan Buchta interview on http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePodcast17

this is not everything because I couldn't hear some parts

- less guns, more detailed

- no 3D editor most likely, enhancements to 2D

- public alpha fall

- warfare gone, new similar replacement game mode which will be more realistic

- easily portable A2 addons

- game is maybe 2/3 done

- they can't design stuff right now because of physics

EDIT

- better radio messages (at least I think he wanted to say that)

maybe he said other interesting stuff or just I am deaf, its 1 hour long and I am too lazy to listen to it again

No way, you have to be kidding me!?! The 3D Editor and better AI are much needed/requested/desired and it would be a great selling point. Lord Buchta, please elaborate on this!

I wonder what is the reason for not including 3D editor(if they choose not to include it in final release or next patches).