Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Mr Crowe just tweeted: "Yeah, we'll set up a Task Force #E3 shot when we dig into the bunker next week!"

Could this be a hint about underground structures in Arma 3? :rolleyes:

Mr Crowe just tweeted: "Yeah, we'll set up a Task Force #E3 shot when we dig into the bunker next week!"

Could this be a hint about underground structures in Arma 3? :rolleyes:

Bunkers or tunnels are already confirmed.

He's talking about a shot of him and the E3 team.

Source??

I wasn't aware of that; I can't find it on the confirmed features list, so that may have to be updated. Source?

I know, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like the team likes to tease us with very subtle hints of possible new features. ;)

Edited by Dingo8
Grammar

Source is somewhere in this thread, can't be stuffed finding it. There are pictures of a industrialized city on limnos with huge bunker entrances that curve into the mountains, you can clearly see the tunnel walls penetrate into the mountain.

Source is somewhere in this thread, can't be stuffed finding it. There are pictures of a industrialized city on limnos with huge bunker entrances that curve into the mountains, you can clearly see the tunnel walls penetrate into the mountain.

Found it. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8132/bunkeru.jpg

I don't think it's exactly confirmed though, as it could be similar to the Coltan Mine in Arma 2 OA - a simple prop with blocked doors just before it's supposed to lead you below the surface.

Found it. http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8132/bunkeru.jpg

I don't think it's exactly confirmed though, as it could be similar to the Coltan Mine in Arma 2 OA - a simple prop with blocked doors just before it's supposed to lead you below the surface.

Yes however why would BIS put multiple bunkers entrances? Why would they make them larger and more confronting? They've found a solution... it's simple a huge building under the mountain side.

I'm 99% sure it's confirmed however if it turns out not to be bunkers then that's maximum trolling haha

I hope they allow us to place real trench objects in the editor, using setheight with negative values would alter the depth.

I'm 99% sure it's confirmed however if it turns out not to be bunkers then that's maximum trolling haha

Images do not mean confirmed and they aren't trolling. Just because VBS2 has it, does not mean that ArmA III will have it. Before ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead was released, they showed screenshots of the mine entrance. Why would they do that, only to not have any underground structures in game?

Pretty sure that's not the finished product for those explosions; the actual burning fires and muzzle flashes seem way to polished (and good) to be ruined by low-res blobs. Everything else (especially the lighting) is looking fantastic! GJ BIS!

I'm gonna like how with the new stances, a group of players can move a long the wall or indoors, in different "heights" and be able to keep pace easier. Also be able to move along cover more efficiently and see around without mastering freelook.

Exactly what I was thinking. I love it. :)

Sometimes realistic is ugly. Is seriously doubt there will be any changes at this point so best get used to it. If it helps, think about all the other great stuff we are getting in terms of animations.

Yeah it's the same with the popular belief about console cover systems being made because "nobody faces the wall - that looks stupid" (welcome to IRL) and incredibly stupid back-to-the-wall looks so much cooler.

Overall I like the new stance better than ArmA2's one. In ArmA2 soldiers stand way too straight and it doesn't feel like they put their body in a position to compensate for the recoil (a dude standing straight with M240 or M107 - yeah right)

In ArmA3 it looks more like they do - even though as Smookie said it's more of a compromise between what soldier sees and realism.

Pretty sure that's not the finished product for those explosions; the actual burning fires and muzzle flashes seem way to polished (and good) to be ruined by low-res blobs. Everything else (especially the lighting) is looking fantastic! GJ BIS!

I disagree about muzzleflashes. They looked really overexaggerated in that gun demonstration. And when firing in first person it looked like those were just a few pics with paintbrush strokes from Photoshop thrown together.

Muzzleflashes still definitely need work.

Edited by metalcraze

Muzzle flash is something that totally depend on what kind of muzzle device and the propellant load in use, a Flash Hider will clearly make any muzzle flash smaller, a muzzle brake however is a wildcard depend on design, and most of the time it generally create a much larger muzzle flash then a flash hider(which is close to none), so NO, it is not over exaggerated if they are muzzle brake or no muzzle device at all.

The recoil has a nice effect on the character in 3rd person but there seems to be no recoil when in 1st person

The recoil has a nice effect on the character in 3rd person but there seems to be no recoil when in 1st person

Really? Cause it was quite noticeable to me, in 1st person as well, especially left-right movement, not just up-down.

Really? Cause it was quite noticeable to me, in 1st person as well, especially left-right movement, not just up-down.

I think that 1st person is just zoomed 3rd person. So It should be same I think.

I think that 1st person is just zoomed 3rd person. So It should be same I think.

Its not the same camera as 3rd person. There are 2 cameras. One for 1st person and one for 3rd person. But its all the same model, and so the recoil should be the same. Its probably not noticeable because most of the recoil was actually kicking the rifle back. So it was more front-back movement than up-down movement

Its not the same camera as 3rd person. There are 2 cameras. One for 1st person and one for 3rd person. But its all the same model, and so the recoil should be the same. Its probably not noticeable because most of the recoil was actually kicking the rifle back. So it was more front-back movement than up-down movement

So basically everything you see in 3rd person is same as in 1st person... It's not like Team Fortress 2 where you have every gun modelled in 3rd and in 1st person separately.

So basically everything you see in 3rd person is same as in 1st person... It's not like Team Fortress 2 where you have every gun modelled in 3rd and in 1st person separately.

Spot on. There's one model. What you see in third person is mostly what you get in first person. That said, the first person view uses a different level of detail than the third person view. So, you wont see the helmet or eyewear in first person. I wish there was some way that eye wear could be functional, but may be in ArmA4 :)

As of Arma 2, yes.

As of Arma 2, yes.

As of OFP more like.

Firing stances are more than just looking cool, or even reducing silhouette, as they are firing stances after all. They are designed to lock you down to be as effective a firing platform as one can get. Just like CAR for pistols, this tactical stance has rigidity to allow the operator to drive the weapon quite straight back. look at those elbows pulling the rifle into the shoulder, positioned to resist muzzle rise. If the recoil didnt get much more in that stance, Id be ok with it.

I actually think there is a fair bit of recoil, especially when he shoots in the night. It isn't the standard recoil that simply moves upward like in arma 2, but rather up down and sideways and even backwards. This mean it looks like the there isn't much recoil because the rifle isn't rising as much but in fact there is just as much in the sideways, downwards etc. directions. I personally like it.

Firing stances are more than just looking cool, or even reducing silhouette, as they are firing stances after all. They are designed to lock you down to be as effective a firing platform as one can get. Just like CAR for pistols, this tactical stance has rigidity to allow the operator to drive the weapon quite straight back. look at those elbows pulling the rifle into the shoulder, positioned to resist muzzle rise. If the recoil didnt get much more in that stance, Id be ok with it.

Yes that's right. In the vid you can even see how recoil differs between the different crouched positions.

Yeah it's the same with the popular belief about console cover systems being made because "nobody faces the wall - that looks stupid" (welcome to IRL) and incredibly stupid back-to-the-wall looks so much cooler.

Overall I like the new stance better than ArmA2's one. In ArmA2 soldiers stand way too straight and it doesn't feel like they put their body in a position to compensate for the recoil (a dude standing straight with M240 or M107 - yeah right)

In ArmA3 it looks more like they do - even though as Smookie said it's more of a compromise between what soldier sees and realism.

I disagree about muzzleflashes. They looked really overexaggerated in that gun demonstration. And when firing in first person it looked like those were just a few pics with paintbrush strokes from Photoshop thrown together.

Muzzleflashes still definitely need work.

I'm not so sure the muzzleflashes are particles either. I was grabbing screencaps from the recent video, and I paused the video to get a screencap of the muzzle flash in first person. When I paused it, only half of the muzzle flash was there. I think it's realistic though, especially after seeing the AR-15 video posted earlier. I think the muzzle flash seen in the E3 video is without a flash suppressor. Remember, it's now up to us to put certain attachments on our weapons. Pretty sure at the infantry showcase part of the video, a flash suppressor is being used...