Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Ive seen plenty of chaps lean forward while shooting.

when I was out shooting shotguns I was told to lean forward (good or bad I dunno..just told to do it :p)

That's actually how I shoot be it a sub-machine gun or shotgun. Very well done stance.

Deferred lighting could make it into a patch, DLC or addon. Nobody knows so far.

Can we have a first day DLC please! (never thought I'd ever say that) :)

And for those who are not shure about shooting under water:

They say range is around 30m

Edited by Blu3sman

Ive seen plenty of chaps lean forward while shooting.

when I was out shooting shotguns I was told to lean forward (good or bad I dunno..just told to do it :p)

I lean backwards until I can see the sky.

From my perspective most lean forward, the recoil and energy potential dissipating through this huge anatomical mass of the shoulder and connecting thorax structure.

Haven't you seen The Art of the Tactical Carbine? :yay:

I hope we can set different animation sets for different units. I've never seen guys in WW2/Vietnam or terrorists fight like that ;)

I've never seen guys in WW2/Vietnam or terrorists. Have you?:)

Guys, import the lighting showcase video into a movie editor and play the 'day/night cycle' sequence at 0.25x speed. Seriously, do this - it will blow your mind.

Can we have a first day DLC please! (never thought I'd ever say that) :)

And for those who are not shure about shooting under water:

They say range is around 30m

That is pushing it a bit, day one DLC implies something that could have been part of the game but was otherwise excluded. If we're going to string up EA for doing it with mass effect then it would be hypocritical to accept the same from BI, regardless of how much we may like them or the reasons for it.

We are definitely going to use deferred lighting and shadows, however I have to confess we won't 99% make it into A3 release. This is not an easy task and there are more important issues. Unlike other features this is a huge engine change.

Believe me we are the first in a line to get deferred stuff and various fixes and optimizations. Often it's a matter of compromise, but more often just about the resources we have. Support us (anyhow) and we will be allowed to do much more.

Good god man. This is why I love all you guys at BI! Even if it takes until Arma 4 I'll still buy as much of your stuff as I can, truly amazing effort and communication with community and you're VERY generous with the pricing of your content too. Wonderful! Seeing as we will all DEFINATLY support you for many years to come, I wonder what that "much more" means!:)

We are definitely going to use deferred lighting and shadows, however I have to confess we 99.99999% won't make it into A3 release. This is not an easy task and there are more important issues. Unlike other features this is a huge engine change.

Believe me we are the first in a line to get deferred stuff and various fixes and optimizations. Often it's a matter of compromise, but more often just about the resources we have. Support us (anyhow) and we will be allowed to do much more.

I fix that for you:p

Guys, import the lighting showcase video into a movie editor and play the 'day/night cycle' sequence at 0.25x speed. Seriously, do this - it will blow your mind.

JDZBgHBHQT8

I slowed it down at 0.25 and 0.125 in Movie maker... What am I supposed to see :)?

Seeing a lot of DayZ hate going around, I sure hope it is none of you here. I understand that some are upset that something oh so cherished is turned into a "filthy casual zombie game" but I thought we all sought for new ways to utilize the engine in various game styles and modes, is dayZ not one of those modes? Why should we lash at the creator (s) for wanting to do something different?

Besides, you shouldn't hate people for liking it, they may not enjoy Arma2 the way we do but they still enjoy the game in some way, not to mention the mod has boosted sales by a vast margine, and more sales means more money, more money means more budget, more budget means more features and enhancements. In the end everyone wins, so stop hating people for liking "our game", because it isn't being played the "we want it".

Yeah, Arma CO is currently #3 on Steam.

#1 is Civilaization V with a 75% dicount (9,99)

#2 Metro 2033 again with a 75 discount (2,49)

#3 Arma CO without any Discount at all (24,99)

#4 is RO 2 with a 75% Discount (8,74)

Arma CO Sales are simply mindblowing. I don´t think that I have ever seen a game sell so well that many years after Release.

BIS must be throwing a party.

Yeah, Arma CO is currently #3 on Steam.

#1 is Civilaization V with a 75% dicount (9,99)

#2 Metro 2033 again with a 75 discount (2,49)

#3 Arma CO without any Discount at all (24,99)

#4 is RO 2 with a 75% Discount (8,74)

Arma CO Sales are simply mindblowing. I don´t think that I have ever seen a game sell so well that many years after Release.

BIS must be throwing a party.

By looking the Beta Patch section, its the other way around. Two betas just today!

Seeing a lot of DayZ hate going around, I sure hope it is none of you here. I understand that some are upset that something oh so cherished is turned into a "filthy casual zombie game" but I thought we all sought for new ways to utilize the engine in various game styles and modes, is dayZ not one of those modes? Why should we lash at the creator (s) for wanting to do something different?

Besides, you shouldn't hate people for liking it, they may not enjoy Arma2 the way we do but they still enjoy the game in some way, not to mention the mod has boosted sales by a vast margine, and more sales means more money, more money means more budget, more budget means more features and enhancements. In the end everyone wins, so stop hating people for liking "our game", because it isn't being played the "we want it".

I think DayZ shows a great side of Arma's (mission)modding ability. most games you got TDM, capture the flag or base games. in Arma you've got modes ranging from simple TDM to domination type to warfare to RPG to zombie

QFT. Amen.

By looking the Beta Patch section, its the other way around. Two betas just today!

Well then they shall make a nice BBQ during the weekend. The weather is quite nice in Brno

We despise it in impersonal fashion.

DayZ is a conglomeration of MMORPG crowds, who constantly, dynamically are searching for free RPGs with no subscription fees, and they have found one: remove the zombies and ADD kicks in, sending those hundreds of servers down to population 0.

On topic: I did have get hard-on for those exploding APC HE shells during nighttime - well done for the decal & particles crew.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I thought this thread is about the dev blog?

COMMUNITY

Y U MAKE DAYZ DISCUSSION IN EVERY THREAD AND NOT ONLY IN DAYZ THREAD?

Because with the dev blog came much dayZ talk, which I feel needs to be addressed.

For one, to blame DayZ for the drop in public servers is turning a blind eye, if memory servers the majority of the community's promoted private servers and clans from the get go, discouraging online play at nearly every corner.

Secondly, how dayZ is such a bad thing in the crowd it attracts, rather than thinking about what that new crowd brings, and how it is a testament to the modding capability of the engine.

Have you played DayZ pliskin? It is anything BUT ADD, please click the spoiler for more information.

I recently gave DayZ a try just to see what the craze was about, I was expecting something akin to LFD but was quite surprised..you start with a handgun and but a few mags, the goal is not to kill zombies as much as scavenge and survive.

You can only carry 8 items in your rucksack at a time (minus larger weapons I'm sure), and must eat, drink and maintain body temperature by going indoors and building fires. Sometimes if you take damage you begin bleeding, going into blackouts, shock and eventually death. A few items can heal you but they are scarce and zombies plentiful, leaving you to decide between engaging or going around (sound familiar?)

You'll spend most of your time crouch running or prone crawling to avoid detection from the monsters, waiting for them to pass and hope that they do not see you. All the while weighing the odds in wether or not you can trust another player, and avoid bandits (player killers). This creates a tense atmosphere where you have to constantly keep an eye out, watch your back and also plan attacks carefully because everyone will hear it, attracting both zombies AND bandits who will quickly kill you for your supplies. And if you die, all that you carried upon you, including a map and compass are lost, leaving you start from scratch, so you must treat it as though it were your only chance. (again, sound familiar?)

Edited by NodUnit

Let's please stick to discussing the devblogs and reveals of ArmA3 here.

Will do. Any chance one of the devs would be willing to compliment on the lights? Are they entity based or texture based now? As in you could use a different texture with the light entity and create a different shape?

I keep looking at the

and I'm starting to think it's not the XCR :(

You can see that the 6 holes drilled in the upper receiver go all the way over the charging handle while the ones from the real XCR stop right before it.

BIS did you get creative with the base XCR model and made an A1 version or is it some other CR type rifle? It looks good nevertheless, but WE THE COMMUNITY are curious.

Ok this is silly... I posted in the wrong thread again, this was meant for the confirmed features thread :p

It could just be a change in the stock for the rifle and still be it. Thats why I was thinking it was the ACR or ye ol' Masada at first because I've seen several variations of it that looked similar, but ultimately noticed the charging handle in the video which does seem to coincide with the XCR.

One thing I did notice is the amount of magpul furniture on the rifles in the new pictures and videos. In the video you linked when it pans over slightly in 3rd person it looks like he has an AFG installed under the handguard, though the hand is acting like it's holding a vertical foregrip which I cannot tell if it had one on the rifle as well or not (could just be old rifle holding animation). There's also the MBUS sights on the Keltec shotgun and such.

Edited by Steakslim