Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

thanks for the E3 preview... :).

I cannot view the new video clear on the smart phone, is the reflex sight around 2:02 still being the same old crappy fake one?

I cannot view the new video clear on the smart phone, is the reflex sight around 2:02 still being the same old crappy fake one?

Yes. Unfortunately.

Yes. Unfortunately.

:(

Well atless we have some lighting system improvement.

Yes. Unfortunately.

Arma games had flaws but, to be honest, "fake" reflex sights bothered me the least of all. And not just because I prefer iron sights anyway.

Has anyone noticed the gun sway at 0:37 and 2:02? Does it look "smoother" than A2 or is it just me being blinded by the beutiful video? :)

Also, it would be nice if someone from BI could let us know if they are working on getting dynamic shadows from lights other than the sun/moon or explain why they can't/won't!

They are still using forward lighting, which means every new dynamic lights source brings rather big performance hit, that's why they use fast lights instead. These are cool and rather cheap in terms of performance but don't cast shadows. I'm not aware of any good workaround for this, that's why deferred lighting was suggested, which brings bigger initial hit, but every additional dynamic light is not a problem anymore then. I guess that would take to much time for them to implement though and was not worth it in terms of visual. Biggest problem of course is that usual fast light implementations go through the geometry.

Not BIS's fault. Computers are just complete crap and can't handle dynamic lighting on large scales. It's a show of times...

In 5-10 years we'll laugh at our current technologies inability to render Arma to its fullest intent.

Not BIS's fault. Computers are just complete crap and can't handle dynamic lighting on large scales. It's a show of times...

In 5-10 years we'll laugh at our current technologies inability to render Arma to its fullest intent.

Nobody said it's anyone's fault lol. You're wrong regarding technologies though, because, as I said, that's where deferred shading steps in. But as always, a dev needs to balance it out, cost/time vs. visual gain.

Nobody said it's anyone's fault lol. You're wrong regarding technologies though, because, as I said, that's where deferred shading steps in. But as always, a dev needs to balance it out, cost/time vs. visual gain.

That's pretty dissapointing to read but do you believe they atleast will add so that lights don't go trough objects?

The lighting video gave me a hard-one thinking of flashlights... Or was that fleshlights?

Edited by Rye

That's pretty dissapointing to read but do you believe they atleast will add so that lights don't go trough objects?

"Lights that don't go through objects" is just a different way of saying "lights that cast shadows". Unfortunately, shadow casting is an expensive process, performance-wise.

One thing I would presume to predict with absolute certainty is that they will never make all lights cast shadows. With the number of possible lights per scene they have shown in the video, this would bring even the best computer to its knees.

There are other solutions though.

I had hope at least flashlights would cast shadows. Would make them safer to use in PvP if they didn't go trough multiple walls.

Other than that no disappointment, the day-night cycle looks very good now.

"Lights that don't go through objects" is just a different way of saying "lights that cast shadows". Unfortunately, shadow casting is an expensive process, performance-wise.

One thing I would presume to predict with absolute certainty is that they will never make all lights cast shadows. With the number of possible lights per scene they have shown in the video, this would bring even the best computer to its knees.

There are other solutions though.

So what are these "other" solutions then?

So what are these "other" solutions then?

Complex is what they are. ;)

One example would be to implement dynamic switching of lights between two modes: shadow-casting and non shadow-casting. (This is possible in the Ogre3D engine, for example, which is where I got the idea.)

The RV engine is already able to cull the "less important" lights if there are too many of them in the scene - if the dynamic switching mentioned above was implemented, this functionality could be expanded by making the engine switch only the "most important" (i.e. closest and/or brightest) lights in the scene to shadow-casting mode. So if you're running around in the dark with a flashlight, this light would cast shadows - but if a flare suddenly lit up in the sky above you, bathing the landscape in light, the engine should be able to tell that the flare is much brighter (thus more important) than your flashlight, so it switches the flare to shadow-casting and your flashlight to non-shadow-casting mode. (Assuming only one shadow caster is allowed, but the number could be adjustable.)

Of course this method wouldn't be perfect, and there are a number of cases where it would fail completely, but it's better than nothing.

Well, I agree it would not be perfect but still better then it is now I suppose. Would really be fun hearing from developers if there is a way to implement what you mentioned or maybe something else!

We are definitely going to use deferred lighting and shadows, however I have to confess we won't 99% make it into A3 release. This is not an easy task and there are more important issues. Unlike other features this is a huge engine change.

Believe me we are the first in a line to get deferred stuff and various fixes and optimizations. Often it's a matter of compromise, but more often just about the resources we have. Support us (anyhow) and we will be allowed to do much more.

We are definitely going to use deferred lighting and shadows, however I have to confess we won't 99% make it into A3 release. This is not an easy task and there are more important issues. Unlike other features this is a huge engine change.

Believe me we are the first in a line to get deferred stuff and various fixes and optimizations. Often it's a matter of compromise, but more often just about the resources we have. Support us (anyhow) and we will be allowed to do much more.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millions of exclamation marks just shot through my head!!!!! :eek:

Is it safe to add this to the "sort of confirmed feature list"?

BTW this is great news :)

Awesome. If I were to win a large lottery, I would be sure to support you guys. I bet you could do even more amazing work with lots of money and time! Currently, I can only support you guys by buying more copies of ArmA, which I already have many!

Edited by Nicholas

This is why I love you guys.

There's enough features and overhauls included in Arma 3 currently to make me buy the game 3 times over.

Charging $50 dollars for Arma 3 is highway robbery to yourselves.... Charge like 120 dollars at least! :D

Its not like im going to need any other game after I get a good PC setup and a copy of Splendid.

Shit-animations again (for stay stance with weapon) :facepalm:

This is why I love you guys.

There's enough features and overhauls included in Arma 3 currently to make me buy the game 3 times over.

Charging $50 dollars for Arma 3 is highway robbery to yourselves.... Charge like 120 dollars at least! :D

Its not like im going to need any other game after I get a good PC setup and a copy of Splendid.

Something like that would be cool. Do something like they did for Carrier Command.

Brilliant...I just thought of something.

Shit-animations again (for stay stance with weapon) :facepalm:

Are you referring to combat jog stance? Cause I love it.

we are definitely going to use deferred lighting and shadows, however i have to confess we won't 99% make it into a3 release. This is not an easy task and there are more important issues. Unlike other features this is a huge engine change.

fapfapfapfapfapfapfapjizz