Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Of course if the developers don't do it then the community certainly shall, I know I've already got a few plans for that render to texture capability..oh yes.

And those plans include those thingies and buttons of your sig? :rolleyes:

On a related subject, the MFDs should be somehow integrated in the game in a manner that you can actually use to select weapons, targets and so on to remove as much information as possible from the screen, creating a more clean and real look. The keypad is almost useless and could act as the MFDs buttons.

It was just an idea for Animation diversity. Soldiers should look less like a robo army and more like many humans, big ones, small ones etc.

I had nothing like faction sided advances in mind...

And if all players would then take small soldiers, then they should have some kind of disadvantage.. or maybe players are forced for one type, and only NPC can differ.

But I doubt all players would take a little model if this were in.

As I said, just some diversity in Animations I had in mind...

Edited by tremanarch

It was just an idea for Animation diversity. Soldiers should look less like a robo army and more like many humans, big ones, small ones etc.

I had nothing like faction sided advances in mind...

And if all players would then take small soldiers, then they should have some kind of disadvantage.. or maybe players are forced for one type, and only NPC can differ.

But I doubt all players would take a little model if this were in.

As I said, just some diversity in Animations I had in mind...

and WHAT does that have to do with animations?

dude.... I dont know but do you think all 6 Mrd people in this world move the same? no. Just record 8 people doing the same thing and you have 8 different moves. Make them the same speedendpoint and still 8 different..

use your phantasie, I have no energy to teach you that.

Just record 8 people doing the same thing and you have 8 different moves. Make them the same speedendpoint and still 8 different..

if 8 people do the same thing, you will have 8 similar things..

i know what you mean, but even if you have 8 different run animations, you will see 2 people do the same at some point.

Maybe you have some better ideas for animation diversity then?

When you record a 200 pound footballer running, stand shoot a target and then crouch, and do that same thing with a 18 yrs old PC Nerd, and then maybe with a 60 yrs old Veteran, you have three different animations, believe me ;)

I just wanted to give some Input on how to make the game more immersive. The tiny little differences in acceleration and inertia make this happen. you can try and model this by hand (impossible hard, and will still look artificial) or just record several types and mix them up or sth. Morph them into each other.

It is not that i want some guys Moonwalk like Michael jackson and other guys run like idiots. I just want tiny differences. FOr Example, when i run, at about 5-6 km I move my left hand a little different, it gives me energy, dunno, I just do it. Maybe other people move something else a little different too? The same goes for breathing. When I run with friends I notice they breathe different etc. It is not so robotic if there is overall some diversity in Animations. And transitions between stands, and run / walk etc, should be smooth and there could be several moves from run stand to go crouch.. just 3 would be enough do make all the difference from robots to humans I guess.

I am just curious, is it so hard to record Animations? Maybe yes. But why? I must say that I am a complete ordinary person. Never did this or read a developers blog about it either.

Edited by tremanarch

And those plans include those thingies and buttons of your sig? :rolleyes:

On a related subject, the MFDs should be somehow integrated in the game in a manner that you can actually use to select weapons, targets and so on to remove as much information as possible from the screen, creating a more clean and real look. The keypad is almost useless and could act as the MFDs buttons.

No comment

It would be nice to see the MPD's play a more important role in modern aircraft, afterall that is the whole point of having digital components, and removing as many elements from the HUD drasticly increases the overall immersion, however even though Arma 3 will use TKOH's flight model, I doubt that the aircraft will be given interactive displays. However this doesn't really leave the aircraft to have much in the way of accessibility. How do you think the average joe would react going from a helicopter cockpit that has no moving instrumentation to one that not only has instrumentation, but requires you to interact with it in a very specific manner to operate it.

As is the case with RTT scopes, it would be a lovely feature to have from the box, however I would be happy to have the option.

Edited by NodUnit

E3 is only 4 weeks away from today, it's closing in very quickly.

Should be very interesting to see what BIS reveal to us, most likely almost everything? Either way the Alpha can't be more than a month off E3 either?

Don't start second-guessing the Community Alpha release date, that way lies madness.

As does discussion of the manner of which it will be released.

Edited by NodUnit

dude.... I dont know but do you think all 6 Mrd people in this world move the same? no. Just record 8 people doing the same thing and you have 8 different moves. Make them the same speedendpoint and still 8 different..

use your phantasie, I have no energy to teach you that.

son, firstly, this is the wrong thread for that.

secondly, you obviously have no idea what it would mean, in terms of workload, to record 8 different people, through ALL the needed different animations. Not even counting here the fact that you can't currently randomize the animation from a given pool/array.

You over simplify things here, and one of the main reason why you do it is because you, obviously, have little to no idea about it. That's ok.

Maybe you have some better ideas for animation diversity then?

In theory, the best practice i can think of, is having 2 animations, then morph them together with different percentages. That, obviously, is a lot easier said than done, because those mocap anims "should" overlap perfectly on the timeframe, which is very hard to do iRL.

Another thing that i can think is the actual height of the avatar, that could be directly linked to the animations speed for most movement ones. You then only need one animation for each action, but if the height of 2 people is slightly different, you just won't notice that it is the same thing.

I am just curious, is it so hard to record Animations? Maybe yes. But why? I must say that I am a complete ordinary person. Never did this or read a developers blog about it either.

figured that out on my own.

Recording in a mocap studio means about 1-3hours of adjusting the setup for the anims prior to recording per say, which means one should take full advantage of the guy in the black suite. Moreover, those anims that got recorded need to be manually cleaned afterwards (ranging from anywhere from 5 mins to 1h), as they are never perfect, no matter how high res the cameras are.

It is a costly and lengthy thing to do.

here is a little read for you:

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/294-report-in-interview-with-zdenk-vespalec-animation-lead

Recording in a mocap studio means about 1-3hours of adjusting the setup for the anims prior to recording per say, which means one should take full advantage of the guy in the black suite. Moreover, those anims that got recorded need to be manually cleaned afterwards (ranging from anywhere from 5 mins to 1h), as they are never perfect, no matter how high res the cameras are.

It is a costly and lengthy thing to do.

Plus they need to be aligned with the poses ingame, worked out for the gameplay issues, tested against both 3rd Person view and 1st Person view, reworked, readjusted, realigned, fixed etc.etc. You can imagine one could waste a week on a single animation (one [1] file!). And there are a really tons of files to go through.

If you wish higher diversity (8 animations instead of 1...), you would need X times as many animators as the whole BI crew probably to finish them, especially for RV engine, in a reasonable time.

As for transitions, if you read the interview again, you will notice these are being worked on. The transitions handled by animations would lag the controls making it it even more clunky and unresponsive (tested even in ArmA2) so they should be rather engine-side enforced (so definately not animators job).

BTW robo feel: The camera which is sticked to the back will always make it look artificial. I bet that if you sticked a third person camera (arma style) to BF3 animations, you would also find them unpleasant after certain period of time.

Again, remember all anim feedback is collected and reflected upon (unless it's pure trolling) so "not gonna change coz they no listen last time" is not valid when i am around :)

Edited by Smookie

Okay. NVM then. I did not know how much work is needed. I guess one set of Aniamtions will do then ;) It is better to have one tight and good loooking set than 2 or three not so good looking anyway!

I can still vividly remember the first time I seen these animations -

7uUeqkKw1Ec

those animations blew my mind!, no kidding I must have replayed that video at least a hundred times. I'm amazed at all the bitching going on here about the animations in Arma3, I personally feel like we are being treated with excessive indulgence.

One question remain: will stance changing while holding binoculars be fix?

[YOUTUBE]7uUeqkKw1Ec[YOUTUBE]

those animations blew my mind!, no kidding I must have replayed that video at least a hundred times. I'm amazed at all the bitching going on here about the animations in Arma3, I personally feel like we are being treated with excessive indulgence.

Not Magpul enough :p

Edited by 4 IN 1

I'm amazed at all the bitching going on here about the animations in Arma3, I personally feel like we are being treated with excessive indulgence.

I agree; A substantial amount of the community reminds me of this person: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DgN2Bs4Tzc

:rolleyes:

What's worse is a lot of the stuff complained about will probably be resolved in the release version.

As for transitions, if you read the interview again, you will notice these are being worked on. The transitions handled by animations would lag the controls making it it even more clunky and unresponsive (tested even in ArmA2) so they should be rather engine-side enforced (so definately not animators job).

The only major animation/transition issue I think exists is how quickly the characters accelerate and decelerate. Aiming at an enemy who is sprinting horizontally who then stops dead just feel completely wrong, similarly one who is stopped dead then proceeds to reach 12mph instantly kills it, too. In your opinion can it be fixed without having animations tied to movement rather than movement tied to animations like in games like CoD/BF3? Their downfall is having feet sliding all over the place when changing direction or speed etc., which Arma on the other hand, nails.

Actually, animations are pretty good, even awesome I'd say, but the system beneath, the way they work when coupled together is what should be improved. The system should allow that they work together in a nice fluid manner.

it is only the unarmed Animation that looks so strange. Animations of Weapon holding soldiers look really good!

http://s14.directupload.net/images/120510/srfp2dkl.jpg (122 kB)

Normally soldiers and civilists in a war arent jogging instead they are running for their lives so you could say when running for your life you put more energy in the Animation. Maybe not so much. A little less might be okay too.

Edited by tremanarch

it is only the unarmed Animation that looks so strange. Animations of Weapon holding soldiers look really good!

http://s14.directupload.net/images/120510/srfp2dkl.jpg (122 kB)

Here is a preview of the WiP unarmed soldier animation. I have to say it looks rather brilliant :) The arms are more angled and don't reach as far back as in Arma 2 and the fingers are animated as well. A problem I see is in the old animations are e.g. the transitions from walking to crouching in the lower stance.

Ah yes. Thousand times better! Like!

Some people may think that griping about Animations might be nit-picking. But in the End of the day it is the immersion what keeps us staying there. Robbing through grass for 5 minutes. Waiting behind a wall in fear and listening for foot steps. Moving slowly towards a city. And generally behaving like one did in a real situation. The less immersion breakers the better I would say. Of course there are other things that keep updateing and need attention from the devs etc. But it is not fully unimportant to have a believable Battlefield at all I say, and Animations are a big part of it when you see your comrades running in front of you, or an enemy biting the dust watching it through the binocs.

Absolutely! Animations can enhance or absolutely brake a whole (infantry) game experience.

Plus they need to be aligned with the poses ingame, worked out for the gameplay issues, tested against both 3rd Person view and 1st Person view, reworked, readjusted, realigned, fixed etc.etc. You can imagine one could waste a week on a single animation (one [1] file!). And there are a really tons of files to go through.

If you wish higher diversity (8 animations instead of 1...), you would need X times as many animators as the whole BI crew probably to finish them, especially for RV engine, in a reasonable time.

BTW robo feel: The camera which is sticked to the back will always make it look artificial. I bet that if you sticked a third person camera (arma style) to BF3 animations, you would also find them unpleasant after certain period of time.

Again, remember all anim feedback is collected and reflected upon (unless it's pure trolling) so "not gonna change coz they no listen last time" is not valid when i am around :)

Reading this is very reassuring, you guys are obviously very experienced and know exactly what good animations feel like and what unpleasant ones feel like, it's just the man hours that take time to finally tweak the perfect set of animations for Arma 3.

That's how I see the progress right now from reading this, may you have many many sleepless nights tweaking the animations to perfection :D

Hi all.

The anims look ok to me, considering they are still probably work in progress.

Although, I always feel the Arma 2 animations are currently a bit disconnected from the game world, I do not mean their aesthetics, but the way the "merge" with the environment.

I was very pleased sometime ago when Dwarden brought to the table, the possibility for a system like

to be in, although, there has been no word on this.

The disconnection the A2 anims have from the gameworld can be described f.e. when you are sideways on a high slope terrain, sideways on some stairs or standing on top of a body.

_neo_

Edited by neokika

7uUeqkKw1Ec

Agreed. I think Arma2 anims a pretty damn good. And Arma3s are obviously going to be better. Some need to have a little faith in BIS :)