Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

And I highly doubt that they mocapped female bikini animations.

I mean that the walking aiming animations don't seem to have been improved, so you can't land accurate fire at short distances and neither on indoors enviroments as this animations seem to be as bad and jerky as on the previous games; unimproved. IMO in therms of gameplay this is the biggest drawback thing on the ArmA series and is the cause why the game is less popular or have more players.

you know if you look down your sight and hold walk he goes slower, and your sight gets steadier? i understand now where you come from, but for me personally, CQB has never been a problem really

also, i doubt this is the cause arma doesnt have more players..

And I highly doubt that they mocapped female bikini animations.

well, hopefully they get a girl to do them :P

Quote Smookie (BIS animator) from few pages back:

Bikini girl is using WIP male animations since female version isnt finished yet (that said i am not responsible for unarmed cycles - just a headsup before u stone me publically ). And as for headbob looking like in arma1 - headbob is a matter of tweaking mostly.

you know if you look down your sight and hold walk he goes slower, and your sight gets steadier? i understand now where you come from, but for me personally, CQB has never been a problem really

also, i doubt this is the cause arma doesnt have more players..

well, hopefully they get a girl to do them :P

When i'd held an assault riffle IRL and fired while walking at standing and prone targets placed at 100m i'd placed all the shots inside the 6s of 'em, i've never been able to do it on the ArmA series because of the anims; and for what i've seen in that video... IMO they're as bad as before. For what i know of the FPS gamers... this is the main reason, aside of the number of keys... and the game's mechanics complexity for the casual gamer... that keep the possible players away IMO; if you don't agree with me... fine. The oppinions are like the asses, everyone have's one and this is my one.

BIS read this please

Yo, Damn mate!!! Today lot of gamers of Euro/Asian Community talking about this too, its looooong step to back!!! we discuss this runing and joging animations, because he is bullshit very ugly! :(

you can see this animations in Arma1!

You are not alone who think about some Arma2 good anims! :)

+100500 to our means!

BIS: PLEASE rework this anims, its shit, we sayd this again (solidary speaking on behalf of all those surveyed players - ~100 potential clients-gamers)

what were you thinking when did this anims?

Perhaps my words are too critical, but only in the harsh criticism makes people reconsider their business from a different point of view, and avoid similar mistakes in the future. I hope you understand me

Undeceived, take a five :)!

interesting, bis read this topics or all this words fallen in deap hole, devs and anims, somebody answer please about this animations

Buddy, take a deep breath, calm down and tone down your language. Also avoid using "we", unless you've manged to develop a split-personality disorder.

If there are things to criticize, do so in a civil manner.

wipman, what have you actually seen to make a reliable comparison with Arma 2?

I couldn´t tell by the videos so far but, there still no difference between head position while high-ready and actually looking through ironsights\scope?

All the new animations are shit? That's a bag of ass.

Not at all! Many I saw are very good. And animations are not just the animations but also the programming, additions of new control possibilities and other stuff, we heard about, which will surely be great.

But the team also has to live with the fact that not everything is that great (in the opinion of a number of people). But I think tehy can accept it, since things are still in development and BIS is one of the few studios worldwide that gives attention to what its community has to say.

Edited by Undeceived

i think its so right because

you bring the weapon to your eyes

not vice versa

it need a little bit of training

but if you shoot with a real weapon its better

Metalcraze, I agree with you on the point of the LRF's not being implemented in a pure realistic fashoin, however I don't think an average player would consider it to be a serious (or even noticable) issue. To me, improved behaviour of LRF's sounds like something ACE mod could tackle. And on a gamedesign related note, if we can get over the fact of railguns on tanks I believe we can get over superdurable LRF's.

It is an issue. People already complained that firefights don't last long enough. A perma-rangefinding helper in optics doesn't help this. In fact snipers, that were already broken, will be beyond broken because having to calculate range was the only thing stopping anyone with a sniper rifle from having dozens of frags with ease - since there's no wind that affects the bullet, only range. And I don't see BIS adding wind either. And there is no breathing simulation still. Aim is too steady.

So now everyone will be able to be a pro-sniper. Oh and did I mention there are no forests so snipers will be able to see you kms away?

And on a gamedesign related note, if we can get over the fact of railguns on tanks I believe we can get over superdurable LRF's.

More like if you are tired of broken snipers - you will have to use ACE again to make ArmA enjoyable.

It isn't just about it being realistic or not. It's about magical LRFs breaking the game.

For what i know of the FPS gamers... this is the main reason

Great. It should be kept then.

BIS should make the shooting more problematic as IRL, not as easy as it is already now. Dude right now firefights are over in a few minutes because of how precise aiming is and you complain it's not?

If popularity among people who just want to run around popping each other's heads at 100m is the measure of game's quality for you - then CoD is the best shooter in human history.

Edited by metalcraze

OnlyRazor

Runing and jog, crouch jog anims, I dont see other, but very interesting :D

I have to say that I agree with some of the criticisms of the jogging animations shown in the last video. It was a mixture of the old clunky ArmA animation system, and the soldier seeming to cover more distance than visullay perceivable by the player.

I would even like to see, maybe in ArmA IV or later ;) different animations for different people.

I mean a new american soldier (20yrs old greenhorn) moves different than a special ops guy (older has seen many things moves maybe smoother or so). Just record the motion capture from several actors - real soldiers. And a resistance guerilla type of guy (is maybe thinner, more aggressive? or more frustraded / more shaky whatever) again also moves different. Little differences are what makes the immersion deeper. But maybe this is too much. For ArmA V or VI maybe.

Civs also move more relaxed, they have time, or they run in fear, look maybe nervous around or sth.

There should be more models, thin guys, long guys short guys, thick guys, muscle guys and so on.

But the creation of such a system would also mean a complete overhaul of all (old ;) ) animations.

-- But I guess this is too much. Just an idea for future updates.

Edited by tremanarch

I would even like to see, maybe in ArmA IV or later ;) different animations for different people.

I mean a new american soldier (20yrs old greenhorn) moves different than a special ops guy (older has seen many things moves maybe smoother or so). And a resistance guerilla again also moves different. Little differences are what makes the immersion deeper. But maybe this is too much. For ArmA V or VI maybe

Differences in animations but also in precision, stamina, speed, reload speed, breathing under water time, etc. You know RPG elements since humans all have different characteristics. Next ArmA I suppose.

I mean a new american soldier (20yrs old greenhorn) moves different than a special ops guy (older has seen many things moves maybe smoother or so). And a resistance guerilla (is maybe thinner, more aggressive? or more frustraded / more shaky whatever) again also moves different. Little differences are what makes the immersion deeper. But maybe this is too much. For ArmA V or VI maybe.

Civs also move more relaxed, they have time, or they run in fear, look maybe nervous around or sth.

Not really far off. I mean, civilians and military have different animations. All it would take is making a new set of animations for regular forces and special forces. For something like that it's a matter of choice and time. It's something that I think is doable. Probably ArmA IV, not V or VI.

At least someone likes the idea ;) I guess it is too much to demand. The team is small and there are other more important things to work on. But if, in the future everything is set and done ;) they could implement something like that.

A little bit more diversification around the area of operation in the fight.

What they really need is more sales -> more money -> more guys working on the good stuff ;)

Edited by tremanarch

Damn, who make this curve-shit walking and jogging animations for soldiers?!
BIS read this please

BIS: PLEASE rework this anims, its shit, we sayd this again (solidary speaking on behalf of all those surveyed players - ~100 potential clients-gamers)

what were you thinking when did this anims?

Perhaps my words are too critical, but only in the harsh criticism makes people reconsider their business from a different point of view, and avoid similar mistakes in the future. I hope you understand me

J-Guid

No, your words are abusive.

I am quite sick of your constant ranting, and your endless streams of inane spam. Here you are clearly disrespecting the BIS staff. Quite frankly, I find your attitude offensive. This stops immediately.

+2 infractions for abusive language. You are getting off lightly. The default infraction for abusive language towards BIS staff is a permanent ban.

Since this infraction puts you over the all-time five point limit, you're banned for three months.

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's PMs without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

No, but if you fire any LRF constantly you'll burn the laser out.

Even the best current-generation LRF's can only be fired once every 3 or 4 seconds.

So this derpy constantly-updated LRF (as was added in OA) is really not very realistic.

And you wouldn't know that without dumbing down? You know - like using your eyes and stuff?

Why not implement auto zeroing too then? Let's make dumbing down come a full circle. Why stop at magical range finders inside every single optics that never burn and run out of juice while scanning the range on their own all the time, several times a second - while in reality the life expectancy of such range finder would be less than a minute?

Have you looked at the features included in some of the modern range finders?

All of the ones that I have looked at the manuals for have a scan facility for constant readout of the distance, none of them mention a duty cycle, just set to auto and scan. The only issue that they mention is that it is "not recommended to view the emissions for long periods of time with magnified lenses".

From the Bushnell 1600 ARC manual ( Not a rifle sight )

Rifle Mode Calculates and displays the amount of bullet drop, at the target in inches, centimeters or

MOA. The amount of bullet drop is determined by the line of sight distance to the target, degree of elevation,

along with the specific ballistic characteristics of the caliber and ammunition load. When you range your target,

the line of sight, degree of elevation, and bullet-drop/holdover in inches, centimeters, or MOA will be displayed

from 100 to 800 yards/meters with a maximum inclination of +/- 90°.

The Yardage Pro Rifle Scope offers basically the same features but doesn't seem to have the angle component in it's calculation of bullet drop.

As to implementing auto zeroing it's already been done to an extent. Take a look at the Barrett BORS

The Barrett Optical Ranging System (BORS) is an integrated ballistics computer that mounts directly on the riflescope and couples to the elevation knob. drawing from thousands of tables and taking into account a number of real-time external factors, it automatically gives the shooter the exact yardage at which a bullet will hit. In other words, it’s like having an army of ballisticians behind every shot.

Once the distance to the target has been estimated, the computer can be put into action by simply turning the elevation knob until the LCD displays the target’s range.

Three internal sensors automatically calculate the ballistic solution. BORS compensates for temperature, change in barometric pressure and aiming at an upward or downward angle. BORS even determines if the rifle is canted.

Not a hard stretch to see that the next thing to add to this is a laser range finder built in.

Just because it wasn't done in the past doesn't mean that it isn't being done now. The entire point of the new technology that is being brought to the battlefield is to "dumb down" the work that is required. I don't think reflecting this is an issue.

I mean a new american soldier (20yrs old greenhorn) moves different than a special ops guy (older has seen many things moves maybe smoother or so). Just record the motion capture from several actors - real soldiers. And a resistance guerilla type of guy (is maybe thinner, more aggressive? or more frustraded / more shaky whatever)

How would that play out in MP, also maybe some guerella fighters are a lot more hardened than some fresh out of the academy albeit pro trained soldiers, or because they may not carry everything plus the kitchen sink do you give them the ability to bound or move quicker?

I always think that the hands are so stiff, if they can be flexible when walking and running.

The animation is still very ARMA 2 ish from the interview, I wonder if the animation system is the old one or the new one.

The only reason BF3 has great animations and it's usually referred to is because they took the animation system off EA Sports which spent millions on developing real life sporting animations for games likes soccor, NFL etc...

So you can imagine how difficult it must be even with Raptor cameras to really transfer that real life feel movement into a game.

BIS will find a solution that is adequate and we mustn't be too picky, after all Arma 4 will come in 5 years :)

BIS will find a solution that is adequate and we mustn't be too picky, after all Arma 4 will come in 5 years :)

You seem pretty positive about that. Last I heard BIS didn't want to make another Arma game, they have been doing this game for past 10 years who knows.

You seem pretty positive about that. Last I heard BIS didn't want to make another Arma game, they have been doing this game for past 10 years who knows.

Where'd you hear that they didn't want to make another ArmA game? Curious, that's all. I've never heard that.

After Arrowhead there was mention that BIS, after doing the series for so long wanted to try different genres and take a break from ArmA short of maybe DLC's, but either they were blowing smoke up the community's ass while already in the early stages of ArmA3, or it was before their studio expanded.