Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

That really looks like somewhere I'm gonna want to be spending alot of time. The color scheme is now just so much more appealing.

Envisioning MP scuba outings into a nice hill hike with tantric yoga circles among those rocks....gun fighting is just so 2010'ish ;)

I think those rocks are made using tesselation, the polycount would be otherwise quite insane.

When I read about TSL. for the first time I knew arma would could gain significantly by implementing it. They could probably ditch the entire LOD system while saving performance. And the new "lod switching" would be fluent.

Tessellation doesn't save performance.

Is that an example of tessellation the rocks? Actually Arma3 will be DX10? I guess not if that's the case. It's very nice bump mapping then, it looks too complex to be a model.

Looks very nice either way.

Why not ARMA3 will be DX11? The only information now is the supported GPU should be at least DX10 card.

Oh my gosh, this screen looks terribly awesome!!!

The detail of the rocks, the ground and the hill in the distance is unbelieveable...

Why not ARMA3 will be DX11? The only information now is the supported GPU should be at least DX10 card.

Isn't tessellation done via the normal map?

Isn't tessellation done via the normal map?

No, greyscale displacement map.

you are mixing 2 terms. tessellation != displacement. You can have tesselation without displacement (but why would you) but you cannot displace without additional geometry (tesselation is used here to increase the poly count). This is done as pointed out via greyscale map

Tessellation doesn't save performance.

Yes, thats right, I read about it years ago, I think it was NVIDIA paper, it definitely said it was saving something (im gonna look it up), probably memory. It mentioned alyx from HL2 having 9 lods, and i think arma2 vehicles have more than 12.

And also, it helps if the tesselation remains in sane values, you cant multiply polygons 100x times and expect reasonable performance.

Edited by frostwyrm333

So we can do this:

[ YOUTUBE]9pFJjp8JlMA[/YOUTUBE]

i just have to

OGu0ITcoF6c

Edited by Foxhound
do not quote videos!

Its a slow sunday, give us something to dream about!

If it's like the two weeks before, we will maybe get some new screen on tuesday or even on monday.. or nothing :D

If the game will have moving cargo ships in the sea and cars on the road I may get interested in TOH

He's the same voice actor who voiced the US officer from Op. Arrowhead, right RiE ?

:threadjacked:

[YOUTUBE ]TCol4Agh4so[/ YOUTUBE]

:31:

*runs for the hills*,

RiE

high jack me any time :nuts:

Edited by Foxhound
do not quote videos!

so i added some screens next to that lil interview with me ;)

We can see some nice bushes and trees. I hope that the AI is not able to spot you when you're prone in that kind of area.

I'm still curious on the grass at large distances. Will we still have the raised ground texture as a solution for concealment or will ArmA3 have something new (better) implemented?

I'm still curious on the grass at large distances. Will we still have the raised ground texture as a solution for concealment or will ArmA3 have something new (better) implemented?

Raised ground doesn't really solve much. Either the soldier is going to be completely invisible, or still in plain sight. The lack of any detail at that range makes a leg stand out.

Raised ground doesn't really solve much. Either the soldier is going to be completely invisible, or still in plain sight. The lack of any detail at that range makes a leg stand out.

All true, which is why i'm wondering if they've turned to something else to replace it, because in the screenshots it visually appears that the grass is visible at further distances, or is made to look that way.

Actually raised ground was OK. If the soldier was to lie down there and not move - he couldn't be easily seen even by a human eye.

IRL from afar when lying downslope - the human is still quite visible because you have ~2m of body pushing the grass down. Now imagine something like squad doing that.

The solution is OK.

Rendering grass at such distances is impossible because no hardware will be able to handle it - although judging from screenshots BIS extended the grass drawdistance (obviously not to 200m away) so it still will be more fair in ArmA3

Edited by metalcraze