Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

The jittery shadows of the leaves on the APC in picture 1, really hurts my eyes. I really wish there will be some new lightning technology in the final version of ArmA 3. Realistic and believable lightning is should be important in a game like this.

Yes , some dynamic soft shadow

Edited by RobertHammer

Isn't native dynamic soft shadowing one of the things that comes with the DirectX 11 API?

Is it just me or is the second pictures artifacts pointed out similar to the shape of the Aries star sign? xD (I am really stretching this theory :P)

Note: Nevermind. It is completely different :D

Edited by djfluffwug

if you look at enhanced pic it could be a number of constellations, or it could be some weird renderer artifacts, but the positioning doesnt make any sense.

wow those screen shots are amazing!! cant wait to see some more!

Looks amazing indeed :) I smell a GOTY from miles away.

I hope there wont be annoying stuff like the grass sticking through the APC like in the picture though. Not a huge deal...

I think those "artifacts" are not errors (lord Ivan doesn't make any errors), nor are they there on any other purpose :icon_twisted:

And PP has the right way to think about them.

And perhaps some are flying veg thingys (dandelion blow thingys etc). You know, like in all ARMA titles. :)

EDIT: Images look great. Love the detail on the ground from that height. :) At first i thaught pic nr 1 was made for fun. Thaught the units were shrunk in the grass. :D

Edited by Alex72

:icon_twisted:

And PP has the right way to think about them.

So this?

I think its just some CS error

or this?:rolleyes:

it is rather unlikely this has got any relevance but with BIS you knever know ;)

alright, well then let ze brains work again!

Maybe we will have to combine them once we get more pictures (which would explain that all of them are only at the lower half) or the amount and colour leads to some code like 3G2Y1R=3green2yellow etc

arent those kind of errors usually produced by an GPU problem?

anyways here are all i could find

or they are just here to confuse us and to strenghten the picture that it would be too lame for the team to just release a bunch of screens without deeper meaning or some crazy hidden stuff :P

Edited by PurePassion

Looks amazing indeed :) I smell a GOTY from miles away.

I hope there wont be annoying stuff like the grass sticking through the APC like in the picture though. Not a huge deal...

I smell goty year too, but I think it's coming from the dumpster containing all the cod-clones.

edit: It could be gpu error, as pure said. My old graphics card when it got dusty would overheat - some games such as Stalker would result in random pixels turning to random colors, kind of like an extremely light noise filter. But that wouldn't explain the organic-looking shape on that tank, or how some are bigger than others.

Edited by Windexglow

all those pics were processed by "Adobe Photoshop CS5 Windows", probably for logo addition, the time between pics were changed is cca 15 seconds.(could be manipulated)

As one guy pointed out those dots could be constellations, I checked some links but the problem is that any set of points would look like constellation, its just too generic.

Other pics doesnt seem to have anything interesting on them.

Another problem is that it is hard to tell what is/isnt a dot, what is green/yellow, and then there are those 2 weird shapes on that tank.

It cant be GPU/driver error because, that affects random pixels, not blobs of pixels.

I have no idea how those dots got there, it looks like some ghosting or whatever...

Really? I dont think its that much of a graphical an increase over Arma II.

Which is good as that shouldn't be the focus of the game. Looks to as its just right visually

Use you're eyes, dude. Do you see the vegetation in that picture? Each one of those bamboo stalks is it's own 3D model. No videogame has foliage that dense without resorting to sprites or impassable set pieces.

Plants that high need to all be rendered separately and above all, they need to block AI line of sight. I'm not saying that the graphical quality is unheard-of, I'm saying that an environment of this nature would bring the Arma 2 engine to its knees, and that the picture has huge implications for the quality and type of play style in Arma 3. With plants like this, they could make a real Afghanistan green zone, not that football field in Zargabad.

hehe, if you could move inside huge foliage and it would react to the player that would be awesome. also insane.

The foilage in the first picture is incredibly dense wonder how this will play with our machines.

Last picture is incredible the viewdistance and the scale of those cities and the overal layout is superb.

Arma 3 will be more advanced than arma 2 because of Render to texture, volumetric clouds and possibly other particle effect improvements, 20km viewdistance over 10km in arma 2, DX11 features oh and physx.

hopefully overall the terrain texture quality wont be as bad as in Arma 2 though.

The foilage in the first picture is incredibly dense wonder how this will play with our machines.

Still one year till launch :) New and hot hardware.

I don´t think we´ve another ARG on our hands.

And if that is a constellation on the tank, it´s not one I recognize. Though, despite being a hobby astronomer, and embarassingly so, I can barely recognize other constellations than the swan, orion, the great bear and maybe Andromeda and the Coma Bereneices.

The rivet counter deep down inside me still wonders, though, why Merkavas?

Also, do the MK4s in the BG have turret mounted remote controlled machineguns and ERA?

And does the desert colour of the AFV in the first pic hint at there being chooseable paintjobs? (The one on the facebook gallery is green, not sand coloured, for example... is what got me thinking.)

You know what else is really dense foliage wise? Going prone with grass around you. That foliage looks like a mesh anyway, not textured leaves.

And does the desert colour of the AFV in the first pic hint at there being chooseable paintjobs? (The one on the facebook gallery is green, not sand coloured, for example... is what got me thinking.)

You mean chose woodland or desert like we always did?