Sign in to follow this  
Kyle_K_ski

Do smoke grenades smell bad...?

Hello Folks,

Feel free to move this thread if need be, but I honestly couldn't figure out where it should go.

That said, here's the question...

Do military-grade smoke grenades (not smoke bombs) smell bad? Do they smell like sulfur, burning metal that's acrid to inhale, etc., etc.?

If one could also help, I'm assuming that there would be quite a difference between the type of smoke grenade used for "simple" concealment and the kind that's definitely more offensive in nature, such as smoke grenades that use burning white phosphorous. What's the differences in regards to smell between these two?

I would assume that these smells would be bad enough to drive animals with their more sensitive noses away, yes?

How persistent are these smells? Does the smell last well beyond when the smoke has completely disappeared?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm hoping to use this information for a mod.

Yours!

Kyle

July 24, 2011

:)

propably should go to Offtopic

How persistent are these smells? Does the smell last well beyond when the smoke has completely disappeared?

and why would you want to know that?

Sounds like Kyle wants to cause some chaos in Detroit and wants to know if he'll get caught.

I think he wants to build one on his own and evaluate the risk of being caught by his mom ;)

It's a smell I enjoy so I can't call it bad or harmful. I only had one affect my breathing once and it was because I inhaled a huge amount after a long run.

they smell like smoke. for the most part normal smoke. granted i try not to breathe it in too much or pay too close attention to the smell, so im not an "expert". im sure if you really tried you could smell the difference between the different colors :p

I have to say that I've read a lot of threads, but few of them have had so many responses with such generous doses of "humor."

My favorite thus far has been from That guy:

they smell like smoke. for the most part normal smoke. granted i try not to breathe it in too much or pay too close attention to the smell, so im not an "expert". im sure if you really tried you could smell the difference between the different colors :p

Red smoke=cherry

Green smoke=lime

Black smoke=licorice

White smoke=vanilla

Purple=Prince (the musician, so it probably smells like Old Spice) ;)

All chuckles aside, I'm working on a mod that has animals and other...critters... in it, and I'm trying to determine if they should suffer some kind of extra penalty if smoke's deployed.

If the typical can of smoke smells like regular smoke, then I'm guessing that they'll be pretty strongly inclined to run away from its scent.

Most domesticated animals handle the smell of smoke pretty well, but that's due to knowing the smell doesn't mean "harm" due to being around their masters. Creatures out in the wild, however...

Alright, thank you! If anyone wants to add more specifics feel free to keep on posting. I could use more laughs anyway. :bounce3:

Yes, it smells terrible. Like sulfur. I hate it.

As long as you don't breath in a ton of it and every day, I would assume it's much less harmful than smoking a cigarette :)

Yes, it smells terrible. Like sulfur. I hate it.

As long as you don't breath in a ton of it and every day, I would assume it's much less harmful than smoking a cigarette :)

Smoke grenades have a distinct smell that can best be describes like "fireworks". The smoke from Smoke screen launchers on vehicles is from another breed...that stuff is toxic when inhaled... contains large amounts of zinc-chloride.

Yes they smell really bad. You definitely don't want to be in a room with a smoke grenade on. Smell is really heavy and reminds me of burnt magnesium rod. When they throw a smoke grenade into a room and then you see people escaping from a smoke filled room, they are not escaping because they cant see anything, they are escaping because they are choking from the smell not to mention eye irritation due to smoke composite exposure.

If you're in an open area, nope. If you are defending a position and a member of the assaulting section throws one into a mate's sleeping bag... not really, but it was hilarious when it set on fire.