Sign in to follow this  
Vilman

Alternative controlling of turrets

Hi guys.

I'm playing OFP, ArmA and and ArmA 2 OA since years.

Mostly self made missions for TANK COMBAT.

I have discovered that in ArmA series there is difficult to control the guns and/or turrets of vehicles. I mean, for example if you are the gunner of a T-72 (or AH-1, or any other vehicle with moveable gun turret )and you wanna move the gun's crosshair on a target, you have to move your mouse a lot of times, again and again. Or, you move the mouse one time, then you need the half of your desk.

I hope you understand what my problem is.

So, i was thinking about :

Is there any idea to change or replace the controlling of these guns, turrets, etc. ???

So i mean a way that makes controlling faster and easier to move the crosshairs on the target.

For example using other devices than mouse : consols, buttons, joysticks or other stuff like scripting or anything...

Think about it guys.

Thanx !

Edited by Vilman

mean' date=' for example if you are the gunner of a T-72 (or AH-1, or any other vehicle with moveable gun turret )and you wanna move the gun's crosshair on a target, you have to move your mouse a lot of times, again and again. Or, you move the mouse one time, then you need the half of your desk.

[/quote']

already experimented with your mouse sensitivity?

Best controller I've seen and funnily enough possibly one of the most realistic widely available is the xbox/windows 360 controller thumbstick

Not sure if it's what you're after, but have you tried binding the turret controls to the keyboard? I find it's a bit easier on the wrist to traverse the gun in the general direction with keys, and then use the mouse for fine adjustments.

Yeah i found the left/right can be switched on the mouse primary and secondary button. That is enough for me 'cause the main problem was the horizontal moving of turrets. Thanx.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

already experimented with your mouse sensitivity?

Not the best solution. Its okay if you are in the tank, but as you got out of it, you will be dizzy soon. Your character will turn like a twister... :D

or you can use an external device for this eg xbox controller etc and change its sensitivity

Would be nice to use the keyboard to control the turret, such as left arrow moves the turret left, and the right arrow moves it right.

I remember being able to map the Turret Movement to The ArrowKeys....

Would be nice to use the keyboard to control the turret, such as left arrow moves the turret left, and the right arrow moves it right.

You can do this with the number key pad arrows, just remove the look left and look right that are set by default to them.

Alternative to turrent movement is to use an AI gunner while you either drive or command, just keep hitting tab, hell call out targets,

and when he does use the number 2 target list and pick your target, then when he targets them hit 3,1 to fire.

Adjust your mouse sensitivity to that the turrent moves a further distance when you move your mouse versus a small move = a small move.

Thanks for the tip, the control for turret movement is in the Vehicle section, under AIM. ;)

Thanx guys. Really helpful replies ! :)

for me i mapped turret left and right to Z and C. (there is still mouse control though). its great for steady scanning, or or rapidly spinning the turret.

keys for general/rapid movement, mouse for targeting and fine manipulation

Yeah, i got a Saitek ST 90 5 buttoned joystick, i mapped the turret moves to the left/right and forward/back of the stick. Thats better then the keyboard, easier to control it.