Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

Rts games.  are they really strategy ?

RTS SUCKS

I remember command & conquer

BTW, if anyone knows how to get fleet command, (the only good rts) to work on win xp I would be very interested to know...

Yeah I liked StarCraft. It was better with the patch as in skirmish the AI would attack each other. Used to just like watching the battle all over the map. It was good watching a massive furrball going on in the centre of the map where over 5 armies would be sluagtering each other.

Always found it amusing when Marines would pick a fight with Protoss army. In numbers their good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hardliner @ May 30 2002,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah I liked StarCraft. It was better with the patch as in skirmish the AI would attack each other. Used to just like watching the battle all over the map. It was good watching a massive furrball going on in the centre of the map where over 5 armies would be sluagtering each other.

Always found it amusing when Marines would pick a fight with Protoss army. In numbers their good.<span id='postcolor'>

Online gaming got boring after a while. The strategy to win was always the same. Chose humans and produce only marines and beat the enemy as fast as possible. We made rules that everyone had to have at least one unit of everything.

Actually Zerg were not bad. Even the protoss fell under the full swarm of EVERY unit you had. lots of Hydralisks and Mutalisks and Zerglings.

i only ever had a few Modem games tho. My enemy was mainly the AI and it did get very boring everytime for me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (John C Flett @ May 26 2002,00:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Preatorians. ( Spelling ? )<span id='postcolor'>

spelled Praetorians. In Latin, ae forms a sound similar to the pronunciation of a long 'I', so Praetorian sounds like Prietorian, or Prytorian, whichever you prefer.

Protoss were no joke. A Protoss Zealot could annihilate 4 Marines before dying. I always liked the protoss as my Probes could build multiple buildings at once. Also the Dragoon/Zealot combo was a lethal one, especially with a few Dark Templars around.

Blizzard surely executed this well. 3 completely different races with totally diverse set of units and still managed to keep it balanced.

the photon cannons were nice too, could shoot air and ground. i must have played that game for years...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ May 30 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Protoss were no joke.  A Protoss Zealot could annihilate 4 Marines before dying.  <span id='postcolor'>

I do not remember but could 4 marines with stim packs take out a Zealot rather fast? Firebats where the best infantry weapon to use on Zealots.

Humans were too weak of course. I was always careful and timid when Human but aggressive with Protoss and Zerg.

Empire earth was a big dissapointment, but did you find that even with a computer exceeding the reccomended specs it still had loads of slowdown?

ps another game where the units need food/ammunition is cossacks

Turn based games are much better. They are about who has the best strategy/tactics, not who can work the mouse/keybaord the fastest.

Warlords1, 2 & 3 are great examples.

Turn base games are fun sometimes.I think the fun part of RTS is you control the army,ships,air and you have to find a way to break his army ,ships ,air.Your looking all over the map,thinking where is that hole,you send scouts across the map looking for the hole,thinking damn it,where is this mofo hole,and you find,you say to yourself "I'm going teach this bitch a lesson" and you battle his base,he sends his forces back(off his front line of the battle) sometimes he saves his base and you die,sometimes he dies, but he sends all his units to your base for his last shot..That's what RTS are all about.

But i don't like starcraft,it's boring.EE wasn;t bad rts,but it gets old with the draws.Now westwood where it's at,sure their games have been sucking for now.I got some high hopes for C&C general,i truly think that's going be a great hit.God i so,if it's not westwood is gone,well never EA owns them,I just won't buy anything from them again.

Steel Panthers: World at War is an ok turn based game. Like Panzer General in a way, going throught the campaign of WW2 or before even with Japan and USSR in the 1930's. In the campaign you could be USA, Germany, Britain, USSR, Japan or US Marines, but for single battles it had others countries like Finland, Spain, Holland and a number of others that were involved in that war, all with their weapons and armor(if any). I liked it mainly because it was World War 2. Its long but thats what war was like then, not just build an army of tanks and aircraft and build infantry in 45 seconds. You don't build the army you start off with units that you select before the fight. Terrain comes into play here as well. Airstrikes sound good for a turn based game. Can have the settings so its just like a real war with communiscation problems and ammo supplies. Artillary is good, on or off screen. Its not a bad game with good sound effects and the music is good too.

Its a free download. Bloody big tho over 300mb or more if I remember.