Sign in to follow this  
Col.

Terrorattack in Norway's capital, Oslo.

It will forever change Norway, its a sad sad thing

If there is a change I really hope it's for the better. I certainly hope that we won't bend down in fear and limit our liberties because of this.

There is a considerable chance that it's an internal thing. The shooter was confirmed as Norwegian, and targeting ministers and supporters of a pro-immigration party largely responsible for the recent high intakes of immigrants gives the possibility of a nazi motive.

hugh, and immigration probably mostly from my country

seems people abroad have enough of crisis, lack of jobs (and taking those jobs by ... immigrants for lower money like in Spain where a lot of my countrymen work making their nation unemployment rate higher)

seems that "revolution" is waiting in the air (right wing, left wing against liberals and center wing)

but those bombs were not nazi ?

so maybe it is coincidence ? 2 groups attacked in one moment by coincidence ?

cause your words for me seems more like pro-job-saving than nazi - argument (stop immigration is not nazi, it is economical)

Edited by vilas

It will forever change Norway, its a sad sad thing

My condolences - it is a sad day.

No offense, but you all act shocked and stunned this happened. What did you expect from a blatantly obvious culture war that is happening in Europe?

On the topic of Anders Behring Breivik

I live in Oslo, infact I've lived one block away from where the culprit currently lives. Police dismiss this character as having any connection with Islamic or Jihadist organizations.

Contrarywise the 32 year old terrorist apparently has had some contact with Rightwing elements. It is currently not clear how this affected his motivations nor if there is any intended statement.

While this is a horrific event. Don't let the sensasionalist news agencies paint an inaccurate picture. The difference from what CNN is reporting-- and what local news (and feeling) are rather different. Norway will not turn into a police state overnight. This will however affect the general election which is about 1 1/2 months away.

Norway is a small country. With his name and identity out in the open; chances are extremely high that close friends have interacted with this guy. Creepy google-worthy sidenote is that he apparently lives with his Mom. Guess he has some explanation to do.

What will his punishment result it? Probably lifetime sentence.. which of course in Norway is 21 years. 14 years with good behavior-- then released back on the streets with a pat on the back if he promises never to do iti again.

edit: The final deathtoll stands at 80.

-k

Edited by NkEnNy

No offense, but you all act shocked and stunned this happened. What did you expect from a blatantly obvious culture war that is happening in Europe?

and the US and Canada......

Reported 80 dead as a result of the island shooting and most are gonna be kids/young people. Fuckin disgrace...

Condolences to the family's and to the Norwegian people.

The attacks seem very politically orientated, political building, political youthclub. This does NOT fit the general pattern of Islamic extremism which is more centered on indiscriminate terror (public places, hotels, transportation) which is directed at instilling fear into the population and pressuring the governments into change to prevent the collapse of social structure. These attacks seemed to be focused on a single political party somehow, which is very peculiar. This smells of rather political extremism rather then religious. Also the guy they arrested was Norwegian :S.

In anycase, horrible what happened, especially if the last bodycount is correct :(

May the victims rest in peace, condoleances to their family.

I hope they'll catch all the authors and organisers of these murders, whoever and wherever they are.

and the US and Canada......

I don't claim to know what goes on in the rest of the US, but here in Texas, there isn't a "culture war." We are all too damn busy working and wanting to go home and drink beer and watch football or basketball.

The attacks seem very politically orientated, political building, political youthclub.

thank_you_captain_obvious_trollcat.jpg

Edited by Hans Ludwig

I don't claim to know what goes on in the rest of the US, but here in Texas, there isn't a "culture war." We are all too damn busy working and wanting to go home and drink beer and watch football or basketball.

Building gated communities, fleeing to the suburbs....

just waiting for another fuse to blow...

CvaNJ0mF_JM

Do I need to lock the thread and ban some people here?

Stay on topic, no politics.

so you want move "reasons" to politics topic ? okay , than EU topic

Edited by vilas

Disussing motive is permitted, but as soon as it starts wandering into political bickering I will put a stop to it. If you can't figure out the difference between stating a fact and using it for political bickering, it probably should not be discussed in this thread.

So, for example, it is ok to state that it was politically motivated, but it is not ok to argue about Norweigian politics here.

So far 91 confirmed killed in both areas. 84 people at Utøya and 7 at the PM's office. :(

The Norwegian justice system needs revising. Its not designed for this. :mad:

So far 91 confirmed killed in both areas. 84 people at Utøya and 7 at the PM's office. :(

The Norwegian justice system needs revising. Its not designed for this. :mad:

Absolutely horrible losing all those lives :(

How do you mean 'revising' ?

Norway will not turn into a police state overnight.

What do you mean turn into? Feels like I'm living in one already :(

What will his punishment result it? Probably lifetime sentence.. which of course in Norway is 21 years. 14 years with good behavior-- then released back on the streets with a pat on the back if he promises never to do iti again.

I seriously doubt he will live that long in prison, unless totally isolated. Even hardened criminals will despise what he did.

My deepest condolences to the people of Norway. I sincerely hope the people responsible for this are brought to justice.

This is really terrible, for everyone in Norway.

Do we know if the Gunmen in Utoya is related to any terrorist groups? Or the bombing yesterday?