Sign in to follow this  
RAZRBACK

xbox controller support?

I know that my seemingly fascistic PC superiority rhetoric might be growing tiresome, but I honestly believe companies like BI are in a prime position to "take back" the market and force players to evolve, or sit on the sidelines.

When microsoft released the XBOX and started essentially poaching PC game developers we as PC gamers suffered something of an indignity, having to sit around and wait for this new generation to "catch up", its been more than ten years now.

I think these people need to either:

A: accept their place on the food chain and work at improving their game playing skills

or

B: sit on the sidelines while everyone else whoops it up enjoying themselves and the absolute best that PC gaming has to offer.

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm nothing short of utterly resentful of how much console gamers have been catered to at the expense of PC gamers when we were the ones that supported the industry to begin with.

I'm really tired of unsophisticated games, and I'm tired of developers catering to the demographics that purchase them.

I don't really mind that they include controller support for this game, but drastically altering core features of the game to accommodate people who refuse to develop their eye hand coordination is really offensive, IMO.

BI was rather courteous in offering controller support to begin with.

I actually don't think adding sheer numbers to this game's community is a good idea.

I think we need to draw in the right people, not all people.

Another backwoodsman defending an archaic digital control method while trying to degrade enthusiasts of higher fidelity control methods. :P

No one said anything about turning Arma into some xbox emulation, some of us just prefer more smooth controlls than holding down a single speed digital input.

Consider us more control freaks than mindless burger munching imbeciles.

I started a thread on this subject but it got locked...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136850-Stop-complaining-about-clunky-controls-amp-try-this

The link above describes the method that I use from now on because there's more progressive movement with the analogue stick, and recently I've realised that there's even more different speeds for walking than I've described! in the thread and ALL USING ONE FINGER :-)

Sorry to hijack this thread on the xbox controller, but I'm keenly interested to find out how easy it is to map the walking (wasd) directions with speed sensitivity to an analog controller. I was hoping to use my logitech g13 with it as it has an analog thumb stick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I know that my seemingly fascistic PC superiority rhetoric might be growing tiresome, but I honestly believe companies like BI are in a prime position to "take back" the market and force players to evolve, or sit on the sidelines.

When microsoft released the XBOX and started essentially poaching PC game developers we as PC gamers suffered something of an indignity, having to sit around and wait for this new generation to "catch up", its been more than ten years now.

I think these people need to either:

A: accept their place on the food chain and work at improving their game playing skills

or

B: sit on the sidelines while everyone else whoops it up enjoying themselves and the absolute best that PC gaming has to offer.

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm nothing short of utterly resentful of how much console gamers have been catered to at the expense of PC gamers when we were the ones that supported the industry to begin with.

I'm really tired of unsophisticated games, and I'm tired of developers catering to the demographics that purchase them.

I don't really mind that they include controller support for this game, but drastically altering core features of the game to accommodate people who refuse to develop their eye hand coordination is really offensive, IMO.

BI was rather courteous in offering controller support to begin with.

I actually don't think adding sheer numbers to this game's community is a good idea.

I think we need to draw in the right people, not all people.

Arma is better suited for a gamepad than a mouse and keyboard imo. It's a fps + tank sim + flight sim in one and controlling vehicles is better with a gamepad. They would only need to implement voice control for commands.

Sorry to hijack this thread on the xbox controller, but I'm keenly interested to find out how easy it is to map the walking (wasd) directions with speed sensitivity to an analog controller. I was hoping to use my logitech g13 with it as it has an analog thumb stick.

Very easy, just go into the controls setup and push the stick in the direction you want to move in on the movement key options.

Arma is better suited for a gamepad than a mouse and keyboard imo. It's a fps + tank sim + flight sim in one and controlling vehicles is better with a gamepad. They would only need to implement voice control for commands.

Voice control for commands would be excellent. It would make controlling the AIs way more easier and useful. Didn't Tom Clancy End Wars have something like this if I'm not mistaken? I don't remember though. I use a controller and keyboard and mouse (well trackball to replace mouse).

I use the controller for vehicles (driving, flying, and gunning). I use the keyboard and mouse for infantry combat.

Voice control for commands would be excellent. It would make controlling the AIs way more easier and useful. Didn't Tom Clancy End Wars have something like this if I'm not mistaken? I don't remember though.

There used to be some third-party voice command program that worked pretty well with ArmA 2 but I can't remember what it was.

There used to be some third-party voice command program that worked pretty well with ArmA 2 but I can't remember what it was.

I think it was VAC. I saw some videos with it.

In some areas yes, driving vehicles? Yes.

In all areas but the one that counts the most.

Speed and accuracy with aiming.

And the mouse will -never- be beaten there, at least not without auto aim. :P

I can do without a lot of things, but the overwhelming advantage conferred by being able to precisely control your aim is a tactical advantage that will make or break you.

Another backwoodsman defending an archaic digital control method while trying to degrade enthusiasts of higher fidelity control methods. :P

No one said anything about turning Arma into some xbox emulation, some of us just prefer more smooth controlls than holding down a single speed digital input.

Consider us more control freaks than mindless burger munching imbeciles.

And analog is cutting edge?

ROFL?

Precision mouse aiming is by far a newer innovation than control via analog.

Oh wow you can walk at a multitude of speeds, but you still won't have the same level of precision or response time that a mouse in the hands of somebody who is capable ever will.

This is why the vast majority of console shooters use the terrible expanding ring system, because it effectively negates the advantage of being able to aim precisely, as wholly unrealistic such a truncation of the variables it simulates can be.

And I would likely suspect the vast majority of people who whine about simulating weapon inertia and hand instability are controller users who KNOW, that even the most epileptic of thumbs cannot compensate for those simulated variables nearly as well as a mouse can.

There are plenty of games out there that cater to your particular handicap, however this series is supposed to simulate a multitude of things, not the least of which including operator error, and in such a way that it doesnt turn the proposition of shooting into a random number generated farce.

When all is said and done, controllers are great for arcade games and racing sims, but they're absolute shite when it comes to high speed, precision aiming.

This is why so many console shooters include auto aim.

Edited by Pd3

When all is said and done, controllers are great for arcade games and racing sims, but they're absolute shite when it comes to high speed, precision aiming.

This isn't a console shooter for one thing, this is ARMA. This also is not a high speed precision shooter like quake, UT, whatever you wanna reference. Aiming with a controller, for me, isn't something I considered but if you think about it I have heard players complain about this But anyway, you have no reason to be angry at the idea of having more support for precise movement through gamepads. If BI were to do it I doubt it would harm your experience.

In all areas but the one that counts the most.

Speed and accuracy with aiming.

And the mouse will -never- be beaten there, at least not without auto aim. :P

I can do without a lot of things, but the overwhelming advantage conferred by being able to precisely control your aim is a tactical advantage that will make or break you.

And analog is cutting edge?

ROFL?

Precision mouse aiming is by far a newer innovation than control via analog.

Oh wow you can walk at a multitude of speeds, but you still won't have the same level of precision or response time that a mouse in the hands of somebody who is capable ever will.

This is why the vast majority of console shooters use the terrible expanding ring system, because it effectively negates the advantage of being able to aim precisely, as wholly unrealistic such a truncation of the variables it simulates can be.

And I would likely suspect the vast majority of people who whine about simulating weapon inertia and hand instability are controller users who KNOW, that even the most epileptic of thumbs cannot compensate for those simulated variables nearly as well as a mouse can.

There are plenty of games out there that cater to your particular handicap, however this series is supposed to simulate a multitude of things, not the least of which including operator error, and in such a way that it doesnt turn the proposition of shooting into a random number generated farce.

I think what is being referred to here is using an analog stick for speed sensitive 'movement' controls to replace WASD, ie pushing the stick harder leads to faster movement; mouse pointer for aiming isn't being disputed here, though some may have a preference.

This isn't a console shooter for one thing, this is ARMA. This also is not a high speed precision shooter like quake, UT, whatever you wanna reference. Aiming with a controller, for me, isn't something I considered but if you think about it I have heard players complain about this But anyway, you have no reason to be angry at the idea of having more support for precise movement through gamepads. If BI were to do it I doubt it would harm your experience.

Well, first off I'm not angry, I am however a little concerned that the entitlements conferred to this demographic over the last ten years are going to imbue them with a sense of entitlement enough to demand core PC gaming sim developers essentially cater to them simply by virtue of their representing the LCD of the gaming world.

Secondly, regarding "speed", its all relative.

I will always be the first out of the gate extolling the virtues of enhanced more "realistic" simulation of human idiosyncrasies, be they everything from the limits physical capabilities to the involuntary movements or tremors we all have when bearing a suspended load in our hands.

I loathe the idea of a 1 to 1, inertia-less form of weapon handling, however I do want to respond to targets as efficiently as possible, and in the context of ARMA, and its predecessor, it has always been the mouse.

Case in point, the involuntary movement of the hands as you're holding the gun whilst can be easily offset and accounted for by a mouse, would be quite frustrating for a controller-using player, especially if they've just been wounded, or stopped after running and attempting to target an adversary from a long distance.

My response to that is: "if you want to use a controller, suck it up princess."

This is why a mouse in the hands of an experienced player will undoubtedly come off better than a form of control that requires you to hold your thumb at a potentially strain inducing angle to line up your shot.

I really don't mind people using controllers for FPS games, in fact I was eagerly awaiting the advent of most console FPS games supporting mouse + keyboard support, until I read sometime in 2001/02 in EGM that SOCOM was purposely not being developed with mouse + keyboard support for fears that it would engender hard feelings for controller players.

MFW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojt8QhKrrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojt8QhKrrk

However, with that said, I really take exception to a game such as this being lobbied in some instances, for what I can only describe as "controller player welfare".

To basically offset some of the inherent advantages that are conferred by using a traditional mouse + keyboard setup. And yes, that would harm my experience because I want MORE sophistication, and its patently obvious that controllers aren't conducive to handling that well, and thus they want less of it.

I really don't want to say GB2 COD, but seriously, if you're not gung ho for more detailed simulations of physical properties, both environmental, mechanical and organic, then you're moving in the wrong direction.

A great example of where this "gameplay equalization for everyone" - mentality, is the offhand knife in Modern Warfare 2.

In that game, even if you couldn't shoot for shit, you could still just run around hammering a button and insta-killing other players.

And I mean that's an example of that design philosophy at its lowest form.

I really just think that leaving the option open for people to use a controller is fine, I may actually try driving a vehicle or flying a helicopter with it some time.

I already use an xbox controller when I play IL2 Sturmovik, and while its not as great as a traditional analog stick, it really does the job better than mouse + keyboard.

But this isn't IL2, this is ARMA, and I really have reservations about people in addition to wanting bare support for controllers, progressively whining for realism-killing features that would make their experience slightly easier, whilst simultaneously eliminating some of the more definitive features that make this game the simulation that it is.

I really think that after ten years of this nonsense, its time to give this demographic the kick in the ass that it needs to get with the program, or deal with the reality that is depending solely on a controller to play a military sim.

They've been purposely sheltered from it by developers up until this point, and the industry as a whole isn't going to evolve its gameplay mechanics until these people's tastes start becoming more sophisticated as well.

Edited by Pd3

...that is depending solely on a controller to play a military sim.

They've been purposely sheltered from it by developers up until this point, and the industry as a whole isn't going to evolve its gameplay mechanics until these people's tastes start becoming more sophisticated as well.

I'm pretty sure most of the players in this thread are using the pads in conjunction with their keyboards and mice. They just want support for certain features that they feel their keyboards don't provide which pretty much comes down to analogous movement.

I'm pretty sure most of the players in this thread are using the pads in conjunction with their keyboards and mice. They just want support for certain features that they feel their keyboards don't provide which pretty much comes down to analogous movement.

This.

I still use my mouse to aim and do multiple tasks thanks to it's large amount of buttons.

Pd3 seems to be overreacting and off on one.

You are probably one of those who scream sim but still use mouse and keyboard to fly. :P

All i have to say to the devs is look at the way Dragon Rising Incorporated controller support, and the command wheel in to there game .It works very well in my opinion