Sign in to follow this  
RAZRBACK

xbox controller support?

Huh, could of sworn it already maps the controls out that it can in arma 2 to your controller... Either way, I remember it already having support... Also arma is NOT a game you can play with just a xbox controller, there is just WAY too many controls...

EDIT:

Yes, please be respectful of others preferences... Keyboard/mouse is good for some but NOT all games... I found that I personally have much more precision with movement of my character with a controller then I do with a keyboard... TBH there are a LOT of games I can actually aim faster and more accurately with a controller then I can with a mouse... Its all about preference, and what game you are playing. We're not clones...

Edited by 5LEvEN

I know some people who play ArmA with just their controller. I never noticed anything about it, until they told me they did. So, ArmA is a game you can play with a controller (I even did it myself, though I stepped away from it because I don't like to use one).

They got keys and actions mapped to things like dubbel tap this, hold this for 2 seconds, etc.

If you want more use out of your controller use software like Xpadder or Pinacle to give you more settings and control over the button and trigger assignments.

You can set trigger buttons up to have multiple stages etc so they can do more than one function.

Personally I have been using a joypad and mouse combination for many years and can kick arses with it no problem. The guys always bitching about controllers are stuck in the dark ages, they give you analogue control over movement. Mouse is still superior for aiming purposes though.

Between a joypad and decent mouse you will very rarely even have to touch the keyboard for anything, usually only for text chat in game.

I have 360 controller and do use it for flight/driving works real well, nice progressive speed increase/decrease, cant fly or land helis without it.

I just wish that I could set some sensitivity to some of it, although it works.

Controller for infantry .. STRICTLY keyboard and mouse no question for me.

thanks for all those who have added to this post since its start. i told you about a profile someone created on pinnacle game profiler (no i am not affiliated to any company). i also tried the xpadder option. i did this to see for myself which would best benefit prospective console players to come over to the real world in ARMA. i tried the pinnacle profile and must say that any console gamer would get on with it just fine, whoever mapped that profile (think the user name on pinnacle is R3H4H) did a great job, by assigning the shoulder buttons to act as "shift functions" which in turn allows the player to play the full game without even having to touch the keyboard or mouse. as mentioned before i am converted and prefer the mouse and keyboard now. i started this thread to get some reaction in regards to getting more players to play ARMA. to do so the devs will have to give serious consideration to emulating or supporting the xbox controller fully and not just part functionality . personally i think people should be allowed to play with whatever input devices they please without any risk of being laughed at. come on Bohemia, support the controller generation and you will sell a lot more games than before. i qualify this statement by saying that ARMA is EASILY the greatest mil-shooter ever and consoles will not be able to compete with this title at ALL. ARMA!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

If you want more use out of your controller use software like Xpadder or Pinacle to give you more settings and control over the button and trigger assignments.

You can set trigger buttons up to have multiple stages etc so they can do more than one function.

Personally I have been using a joypad and mouse combination for many years and can kick arses with it no problem. The guys always bitching about controllers are stuck in the dark ages, they give you analogue control over movement. Mouse is still superior for aiming purposes though.

Between a joypad and decent mouse you will very rarely even have to touch the keyboard for anything, usually only for text chat in game.

i think most would agree with you in regards to mouse and kb mate. please keep in mind the purpose of this thread....to get more to play it.

I have played a lot with keyboard and mouse and I'm damn good at it.However I had a hard time learning it in the begining so it's all a matter of practice. :)

Let your friends play on your PC for a few hours w/ mouse and kb then they will more than likely understand, I've been there, I just had to grit my teeth and learn.

In any case it will be impossible to play ArmA as infantry with a gamepad.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

I would further that with:

Impossible is in fact impossible.

...and yet further...

Anything that is possible, is possible. Anything that is impossible, most times is still possible once you've discounted the inability to think around it.

The impossible can be overcome with the right tools ... the notion of what constitutes a "gamepad" (a gaming user interface) is critical here. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Touchscreens, inertial sensors and electronic pads are redefining how users interact with computers. It is not impossible that soon there will be a generation that has never used a keyboard with tactile feedback and mouse. BI Studios would be wise to sit up and take notice.

Edited by MissionCreep

The impossible can be overcome with the right tools ... the notion of what constitutes a "gamepad" (a gaming user interface) is critical here. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Touchscreens, inertial sensors and electronic pads are redefining how users interact with computers. It is not impossible that soon there will be a generation that has never used a keyboard with tactile feedback and mouse. BI Studios would be wise to sit up and take notice.

a good prove is the fact that a couple of years back my mouse broke down i did not had a reserve i was so pissed of. it was saturday night and no shop was open to buy a new one and sundays was comming up. heck i learned to handle my computer without any mouse. You can interact with your computer without a mouse if needed so in fact we are so used to use a mouse but a computer was disigned with only a keyboard nothing else. The mouse is and extra addition.

Anyone up to a chalange and never don it before? Try and learn to interact with only a keyboard believe me its hard to figure it out if you don't know how. After a few days i had a new mouse but still i kept learning to interact without it the reason is if it ever happens again ill still be able to work on my rig :D

kind regards

a good prove is the fact that a couple of years back my mouse broke down i did not had a reserve i was so pissed of. it was saturday night and no shop was open to buy a new one and sundays was comming up. heck i learned to handle my computer without any mouse. You can interact with your computer without a mouse if needed so in fact we are so used to use a mouse but a computer was disigned with only a keyboard nothing else. The mouse is and extra addition.

Anyone up to a chalange and never don it before? Try and learn to interact with only a keyboard believe me its hard to figure it out if you don't know how. After a few days i had a new mouse but still i kept learning to interact without it the reason is if it ever happens again ill still be able to work on my rig :D

kind regards

Windows and Windows-based applications are designed to be used without a mouse if necessary.

Windows and Windows-based applications are designed to be used without a mouse if necessary.

I know but not everyone is aware of it because they are used to use mouse and keyboard so they actually dont have a clue how to use their rig only with a keyboard.

btw it also works for other oss ;)

It is not impossible that soon there will be a generation that has never used a keyboard with tactile feedback and mouse. BI Studios would be wise to sit up and take notice.

Agreed!

Arma 2 DOES have a preset config for the Xbox controller, I use a xbox controller as well. However it doesn't use have all the functions, but you can download programs like xpadder to set up your controller however you'd like. I basically use the default BIS scheme and add the missing parts with xpadder. Anyway, hopefully BIS keeps the same control scheme or makes it better for the Xbox controller. I know of quite a few people (especially ones I play with) who prefer the game-pad over K&M.

Edited by Jake34

why cant the devs just make sure that the game is "fully" controller compatible instead of potential new gamers having to pay for programs like xpadder or Pinnacle? that was the original intent with this thread. what i am saying is, is that if xpadder and Pinnacle can do it, why dont the devs do it? remember we are looking to get more people into this game and away from their stupid consoles.....respect

RAZRBACK, they already have done so, or at least 90% is controller compatible with the default controller settings. IF you want to customize your controls though, you can use the menu anymore, so any improvement regarding this is welcome.

My mistake, please remove.

Thanks.

Edited by BoneBoys
Wrong Place

why cant the devs just make sure that the game is "fully" controller compatible instead of potential new gamers having to pay for programs like xpadder or Pinnacle? that was the original intent with this thread. what i am saying is, is that if xpadder and Pinnacle can do it, why dont the devs do it? remember we are looking to get more people into this game and away from their stupid consoles.....respect

The only button not compatible that I have discovered so far is using left trigger to fire, it won't let you use the analogue trigger for some reason and you need to use a third party program to assign it.

If they fix that then the job is done.

I started a thread on this subject but it got locked...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136850-Stop-complaining-about-clunky-controls-amp-try-this

The link above describes the method that I use from now on because there's more progressive movement with the analogue stick, and recently I've realised that there's even more different speeds for walking than I've described! in the thread and ALL USING ONE FINGER :-)

I started a thread on this subject but it got locked...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136850-Stop-complaining-about-clunky-controls-amp-try-this

The link above describes the method that I use from now on because there's more progressive movement with the analogue stick, and recently I've realised that there's even more different speeds for walking than I've described! in the thread and ALL USING ONE FINGER :-)

Been using that method on all the games I play for many years now and have no problems and other than my age starting to slow me down I can remain reasonably competitive.

I also use the left trigger on the controller to fire and keep my mouse one and two for stance changes or jumping instead, means no addition pressure on the mouse while firing so I can keep my aim smoother.

I also use the left trigger on the controller to fire and keep my mouse one and two for stance changes or jumping instead, means no addition pressure on the mouse while firing so I can keep my aim smoother.

Aaah good idea matey! Might have a go at that cheers :-)

I've been using the direction pad 'UP' 'RIGHT' 'DOWN' for the stances & left to swap to SIDE ARM

been looking around on the net for anyone who actually succeeded to map a xbox controller to arma 2. found a profile on pinnacle game profiler, where a lad mapped the whole game to a xbox controller, doing so by using left shoulder button as a "shift" button to then access other functions.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

i agree with you on these comments, it takes time to get to that stage though and not everyone will have the perseverance for that, that is why i thought i'd ask the question..

I know that my seemingly fascistic PC superiority rhetoric might be growing tiresome, but I honestly believe companies like BI are in a prime position to "take back" the market and force players to evolve, or sit on the sidelines.

When microsoft released the XBOX and started essentially poaching PC game developers we as PC gamers suffered something of an indignity, having to sit around and wait for this new generation to "catch up", its been more than ten years now.

I think these people need to either:

A: accept their place on the food chain and work at improving their game playing skills

or

B: sit on the sidelines while everyone else whoops it up enjoying themselves and the absolute best that PC gaming has to offer.

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm nothing short of utterly resentful of how much console gamers have been catered to at the expense of PC gamers when we were the ones that supported the industry to begin with.

I'm really tired of unsophisticated games, and I'm tired of developers catering to the demographics that purchase them.

I don't really mind that they include controller support for this game, but drastically altering core features of the game to accommodate people who refuse to develop their eye hand coordination is really offensive, IMO.

BI was rather courteous in offering controller support to begin with.

I actually don't think adding sheer numbers to this game's community is a good idea.

I think we need to draw in the right people, not all people.

Edited by Pd3

I've only ever owned one games console and that was the PS1 when it came out and I immediately sold it and and went back to my Commodore Vic 20 lol...

But this thread is about using a smother more progressive analogue controller for ARMA rather than the stark ON-OFF keyboard movement so the character doesn't move in such an epileptic manner.

I don't think anyone wants features removed to make the game more simple for consoles (if they do they're mad) Just forget consoles exist for a minute.

It's just an idea to make the control system more variable & smooth than they are with keyboard, and with the analogue stick THEY ARE, otherwise I'd be back on keyboard having a game of twister with my fingers :-)