Sign in to follow this  
RAZRBACK

xbox controller support?

good evening to all the good people.

being a recent console convert myself, i was wondering if the devs would consider providing full support for controller (xbox type) for this game.

now before all the hardcore pc gamers get upset, i mention this for a reason. as mentioned i have started playing this myself recently and i love the arma series (easily the best mil-shooter ever). it took me time to get used to mouse and keyboard and to be honest i now prefer it over controllers.

i recon bohemia could make a killing on this next title if they could also release "full support" for the controller generation.

the reason i say this is because i have many friends who have now seen this game and they all have the same comment to make: "we will play this if we could use our controllers".

i think the devs should put some serious thought into this as it could net them many console gamers who are frankly tired of the cod's of this world.

what do you think?

I think it already can? I've certainly seen a XBox controller thread where people relay their experiences. Controllers in general are supported, in that, you can set them up. Are you suggesting a default XBox controller option?

I think it already can? I've certainly seen a XBox controller thread where people relay their experiences. Controllers in general are supported, in that, you can set them up. Are you suggesting a default XBox controller option?

indeed that is what i am suggesting. currently one cant really play the game with a xbox controller alone. i know it might be difficult, but surely it can be coded or something....i honestly think it will pull a completely new range of players

He´s prbly on the subject of steering your soldier & aim with the xbox pad, which is not as easy to achieve with the current way. Correct me if im wrong, only tried the pad for helicopter steering so far..

The standard for almost anything supporting the xbox pad out of the box is like: moving on left stick, aim on right stick, zoom with left trigger, shoot with right trigger, directional pad for weapon and stance change, etc.

Controller alone? Won't happen, you at least need to use the UI with a mouse etc. Ingame mechanics - possibly so.

Personally, I think it's foolish to play with just the controller.

However I used to use my 360 controller for driving vehicles, as it was much more precise in handling.

But when it comes to running and shooting, mouse and keyboard are superior.

Indeed, xbox 360 controller wonderfull for driving or flying vehicles, and keyboard and mouse for infantry.

Controller alone? Won't happen, you at least need to use the UI with a mouse etc. Ingame mechanics - possibly so.

been looking around on the net for anyone who actually succeeded to map a xbox controller to arma 2. found a profile on pinnacle game profiler, where a lad mapped the whole game to a xbox controller, doing so by using left shoulder button as a "shift" button to then access other functions.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Personally, I think it's foolish to play with just the controller.

However I used to use my 360 controller for driving vehicles, as it was much more precise in handling.

But when it comes to running and shooting, mouse and keyboard are superior.

i agree with you on these comments, it takes time to get to that stage though and not everyone will have the perseverance for that, that is why i thought i'd ask the question..

you gotta start somewhere buddy

i am with you on that, i was just mentioning this issue from another perspective. this game has in effect killed my xbox for me. this however might not be so "easily" achieved with others....

Actually ArmA 2 did have a default 360 controller scheme. IMO it wasn't very good but there was one there. Might be the same for ArmA 3 or might not... who knows?

Edited by Big Dawg KS

I'd like it if this was in Arma 3, I think it's more relaxing when using a controller over a keyboard. Would an xbox controller have enough buttons for all the different commands in Arma though? (Never actually used a controller in Arma 2 or any other PC game but GTAIV)

I'd like it if this was in Arma 3, I think it's more relaxing when using a controller over a keyboard. Would an xbox controller have enough buttons for all the different commands in Arma though? (Never actually used a controller in Arma 2 or any other PC game but GTAIV)

by default i dont think xbox controller has enough buttons, but as mentioned some bloke managed to map the whole game on pinnacle game profiler using the left shoulder button as a "shift" function. i have to say though that once u get used to mouse and kb it is better than controller

I'm not a console gamer, but I can see the benefits of having an all-in-one handheld console for Arma3 just from an ergonomic standpoint.

I have my Arma2 set up in a recreation room. Instead of sitting upright at a desk, I play Arma on a comfy couch in front of a 58-inch HDTV. I have to sit with a keyboard on my lap and a mouse on the seat cushions (a joystick helps, and trackball too, but is still clunky). I would be nice if you could play Arma without needing a smooth, flat, light-reflecting surface (for optical mouse) nearby for your controller.

Also, I think it would add a more immersive feel to the game to be able to be able to take breaks from sitting and stand up and pace around if you need to (in fact, ergonomics experts recommend you take stand and walking breaks when sitting in front of a screen). How immersive does it feel to be sitting at a desk while you are chasing Takistanis or the Chedaki through the bushes. Of course the next step to make Arma a complete simulation is motion/inertial sensors, for which I suspect people will demand from games in the future, so I think BI Studios should consider more support for alternative user input devices.

PS This is not about "Arma should/should not be a Console Game" ... it is about improving the options for a good play experience.

I'm not a console gamer, but I can see the benefits of having an all-in-one handheld console for Arma3 just from an ergonomic standpoint.

I have my Arma2 set up in a recreation room. Instead of sitting upright at a desk, I play Arma on a comfy couch in front of a 58-inch HDTV. I have to sit with a keyboard on my lap and a mouse on the seat cushions (a joystick helps, and trackball too, but is still clunky). I would be nice if you could play Arma without needing a smooth, flat, light-reflecting surface (for optical mouse) nearby for your controller.

Also, I think it would add a more immersive feel to the game to be able to be able to take breaks from sitting and stand up and pace around if you need to (in fact, ergonomics experts recommend you take stand and walking breaks when sitting in front of a screen). How immersive does it feel to be sitting at a desk while you are chasing Takistanis or the Chedaki through the bushes. Of course the next step to make Arma a complete simulation is motion/inertial sensors, for which I suspect people will demand from games in the future, so I think BI Studios should consider more support for alternative user input devices.

PS This is not about "Arma should/should not be a Console Game" ... it is about improving the options for a good play experience.

you and i are on the same page for sure, thanks for adding the bits on ergonomics, i did not even think of writing anything about it, but hell it is all VERY relevant!

Actually, it's possible to use the Xbox 360 controller for this in ArmA2 allready.

I had to discover it though, but if you plug in your controller, go to controls ingame and select controller, on this screen you have to choose "Controllers with Scheme - Controler (XBOX 360 For Windows) and perss enable, it will show the actual buttons on selected menu items and such. The preset wasn't that good though so I don't use it, atm the controller is most usable for helicopter control.

EDIT: Went ingame to double check

controlleringame.jpg

this is how it should look like after you've pressed enable, as you can see, the UI is fully controllable with the controller.

I tried the first OA bootcamp mission and I believe they have improved the setup a bit, at least for infantry.

Edited by ParaGraphic L

Actually, it's possible to use the Xbox 360 controller for this in ArmA2 allready. I had to discover it though, but if you plug in your controller, go to controls ingame and select your controller and choose default there, it will show the actual buttons on selected menu items and such. The preset isn't that good though so I don't use it, atm the controller is most usable for helicopter control.

I guess I should have clarified more, but I meant to say that the controller won't be too much use in the MP browser, options, editor, general out-of-game-itself UI. Unless I'm wrong with that as well of course :)

Used my ps3 pad for choppers/ Aircraft... Couldnt configure the right stick as far as I remember... Other than than....

Select=gear up/down

D-pad up/down=Flaps up/down

D-pad Left=Swap weapons

D-pad right=Eject?

R2=shoot

L2=Aim

L1\R1 Left/Right rudder

Why would anyone want to play a shooter with a gamepad?

In any case it will be impossible to play ArmA as infantry with a gamepad.

The complete lack of buttons, speed and precision and all that.

Personal preference?

A personal preference of dying all the time, barely turning and not hitting anything?

Because that's how it will be in ArmA

A personal preference of dying all the time, barely turning and not hitting anything?

Because that's how it will be in ArmA

Well, that's their problem, right?

In any case it will be impossible to play ArmA as infantry with a gamepad.

The complete lack of buttons, speed and precision and all that.

I play ARMA 2 with a controller & keyboard. Why would I play with that? Because I can't use the mouse because of my wrist problems. It is not impossible to play ArmA infantry with a gamepad (as long as you have a keyboard on your lap or somewhere near) so you can click the buttons that you need that's not on the gamepad. As for speed and precision, playing coop I can do pretty well with a controller and I can actually score some pretty good shots. You just gotta get use to it (why bag the controllers all the time but I will agree that the mouse is much more accurate, but to me the controller is less stress on my wrist).

i think people should be more tolerant of others preferences. i mentioned that i find the mouse and keyboard better than the controller, but that it did indeed take some time and dedication to get my head around (keep in mind i used to be a console gamer). i think that the issues raised here warrants serious consideration from the devs to make this title more accessible to those with wrist problems and also those who might want to "convert" like i did. surely some old school pc gamers will have nothing good to say for controllers, however i think even they will acknowledge the sales potential if this game was fully compatible with controllers. lets stop the whole mouse and keyboard vs controller debate (i know what the score is). how about instead we see if we can bring this game to more people.... just a thought really

respect