Sign in to follow this  
Yett71

Arma 2 Retreat Tactics

Hello guys :) I was thinking of any good retreating tactics you know? Ive been looking around on youtube and found a few videos, this one seemed to be the best :

FD-Mr9Dm3zQ

Other than that, i cant seem to find any good videos on Youtube which actually give a detailed retreating guide...

So you guys know of any videos of retreating guides or tactics? :D

Thanks in advance :)

Well especially in the dense forests of Chernarus the most effective retreating Tactic is

RUUUUN RUUUUUUUN FOR GODS SAKE RUUUUUN

Well especially in the dense forests of Chernarus the most effective retreating Tactic is

RUUUUN RUUUUUUUN FOR GODS SAKE RUUUUUN

Hah! :D Nice tactic! Running a lot of the time works, unless your in open ground and they have a marksman.. also even throwing smoke at them, they just run up to the smoke and use it to there advantage lol...

Yes that works, even thou the ai is a bit slow in the video. All that needs to happen much faster. Another good retreat tactic is to retreat to the side.

Here is a video showing this.

Otherwise you could try a corridor backwards. Shown at 0:25.

Don't mind the soldiers performance, they are only part-time national-defence units.

But the best way is to have a combat vehicle with you, kill all the enemy that is shooting at you, mount up and withdraw.

Pop smoke, set AI to crouched, formation to file and run.

Alternatively, give them a move command 500m in the direct you wish to flee. That gets them there without fail (since they override the danger FSM that way).

leapfrogging (similar to bounding over watch), i forgot specifically what its called when you are falling back instead of advancing, i think its tactical fallback

edit: doesnt work well with ai though

I find that the main problem is, when in combat mode the AI won't actually follow you and retreat. You can't change their combat mode either.

Here's an example of one

3HRtIfJTSHE

It's basically fire&maneuver in reverse with shorter bounds

Put some smoke down, put down some heavy fire to get the enemy as surpressed as possible, then short fast 20m'ish bounds by fire team to get back to a position which you can defend better and put in a base of fire to stop the enemy counter-attacking

Of course, running for dear life has its moments too :V

aYViV74jfbI

Edited by DaveP

Yett are you talking about multiplayer or singleplayer?

I find that withdrawal from a force that can be held back for a short amount of time usually calls for reverse bounding (Our clan calls it breaking contact) where fire is always being poured on the enemy.

For situations such as multiple tanks moving towards you when you have no AT or something like that usually the best advice is to RUN AWAY, RUN FAR AWAY.

I find that the main problem is, when in combat mode the AI won't actually follow you and retreat. You can't change their combat mode either.

Utilise the move command. As above, it overrides their danger FSM.

My retreating tactic is to stand up, run in the opposite direction and hope I don't get shot in the back. Usually, this ends with me getting shot in the back and landing flat on my face.

I don't know why, but I love the death animation that plays when you are running and get shot.

I don't know why, but I love the death animation that plays when you are running and get shot.

Yeah, although it's not as good as the old OFP "clothesline" anim, that always made me smile.

...you'd be running along, then *twhack* you see your feet shoot out in front of you, and it's all over.

Utilise the move command. As above, it overrides their danger FSM.

They still take their sweet time moving to the position in which you have ordered them.

Attack from a position you have a good retreat rout from and if needed, use it. I would guess thats the only one that really works both ingame and in the real world.

The bound and fire thing is a mixed bag online against fearless PvPers that game the system, so to speak. Try suppressing with a MG in a online game. First thing that happens is you get sniped lol.

Attack from a position you have a good retreat rout from and if needed, use it. I would guess thats the only one that really works both ingame and in the real world.

The bound and fire thing is a mixed bag online against fearless PvPers that game the system, so to speak. Try suppressing with a MG in a online game. First thing that happens is you get sniped lol.

Well if you try to kill the enemy with the machniguns instead of "suppressing" i think you will find that you don't get sniped as often :p.

Edited by Sirex1

Order disengage and order them to move to retreat position.