Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox34

Extended breaching Capabilities

CQB is a large part of combat today, especially when it comes to clearing buildings and close areas. Usually, you have to get in the building first.

Currently ARMA 2 allows for a limited amount of entry method and the door is always defaulted to open. It would be nice to see the new physics engine incorporate door locks and destructible doors. Therefore, shotguns could have added value.

Along this lines comes windows and such too. It would be nice if you could blow out windows and be able to vault through when destroyed, possibly the V key could do this.

This destruction not only serves a purpose but also looks better than shooting through a window or door that never is destroyed!

What do you guys think?

I think it's a minor, but important feature.

good thread. totally agree on that.

I love toting the shotgun and being pointman, but I feel like it's missing the whole blow the crap out of the locks and kick the door in feature.

I love toting the shotgun and being pointman, but I feel like it's missing the whole blow the crap out of the locks and kick the door in feature.

They already have a confirmed feature: 'The player will be able to attach explosive charges to enemy boats'. So why not on doors?

The world is your oyster BIS... :p

If you use Track IR and the mouse 4 or 5 as zoom back key CQB isnt that hard in Arma 2 because the weapon crashing into stuff wont be a issue and in tight spots with the track ir zoomed back view in iron sights you get good side vision.

I would reckon the hardest part with Arma 2 CQB is the animation system and not the actual view you can have because its better than most games.

Still I wouldnt mind a "throw in door" grenade selection and flash bangs in vanilla.

Great way to open door:

Another Great way to open a door:

:)

In all seriousness, I think it's a great Idea, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tear Gas. In ACE it worked well against practically anyone in MP and so did flashbangs.

We have mentioned CS gas and flashbangs - geometry/collisions didn't allow them to work properly and they didn't have the effects on multiple people at once (flashbang at least, CS gas doesn't currently work in MP but they are fixing this) as well as them falling through floors and the awful grenade throwing animations and system.

The OP's threads tend to go so far off-topic, sorry: someone should post up a CQB topic for all general information.

What kind of breaching methods and equipment would people like to see?

Edited by Rye

Oh god, breaching. We already have enough trouble walking through doorway with the weapon up. Hell I've died by proning in a hallway before..

Taken from the interview on Armaholic

â– Trying to make building parts/portions destroyable. (undecided).

â– They will possibly be adding breakable glass.

â– Maybe adding an option to jump through windows, if a door is locked/closed.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=15356

looks like some of our wishes could be coming true!!!

SMK pack is not realistic. It's intended for ArmA to be played more like a mix of CoD and Gears of War with a clear emphasis on 3rd person view.

You don't move "back to wall" the way SMK depicts it in CQB because that will get you killed very quickly as you simply won't have the time to bring your weapon to bear if the enemy will jump you from the doorway in that wall. You move with your weapon in front of you down the corridor.

As for grenade throwing in different ways - yes that should be in vanilla game (I currently use ACE for that).

Pure crap from the troll. And to clarify the first part - SMK pack was designed for league play which forbids using any kind of 3rd person view, which is considered an easy cheat. The back to wall system was aimed to work with 1st person view, however at the current form it doesn't work too well, which doesn't mean I can't use it to my advantage once I master it.

All of the above ideas are nice, because they seem to be what a man can naturally do, but nearly absolutely impossible to realize using arma engine. That said, I believe there will be some attempts on trying to improve the CQB game mechanics, however breaching through doors and windows (non scripted!) sounds very much unlikely.

This sounds very good. Extend the "V" key to some more animations for realistic movement scenarios like getting into a window (ie. getting over slightly higher obstacles), vaulting over a fence (like now) through context-sensitivity. Doesnt have to be over the top with tons of animations for tons of situations, but a few more.

This idea is again nice, but hardly implementable. Less keys - more casual gameplay. On a side note, not offending anyone, funny thing is I have never seen any simulator community whining about ammount of keys, other than ArmA milsim fans:)

As for grenade throwing system - I think this issue can and will be tackled.

Edited by Smookie

Well breaching doors/gates, windows and some part of walls could be possible. Perhaps just only through mission design set by breaching module/scripts. :)

So i wrote. The animations are the easiest part of it.

Well breaching doors/gates, windows and some part of walls could be possible. Perhaps just only through mission design set by breaching module/scripts.

Yeah it could be possible, but for Coop or PvP, why not just have the door destrucible or window, or wall for that matter and then you just blow a hole in it and storm through.

Set it up like a vehicle or something. The lock of the door is its own entity and when it is broken, it no longer works and the door sways. Same with the hinges. C4 etc blows the door off.

Bullets break windows, Demolitions for walls that blow holes in the wall and not just knock out sections.

Yeah it could be possible, but for Coop or PvP, why not just have the door destrucible or window, or wall for that matter and then you just blow a hole in it and storm through.

Set it up like a vehicle or something. The lock of the door is its own entity and when it is broken, it no longer works and the door sways. Same with the hinges. C4 etc blows the door off.

Bullets break windows, Demolitions for walls that blow holes in the wall and not just knock out sections.

Because its easier said than done. The engine poses tons of limitations, this being one of them. It might have been possible with great FPS rate on an island regular FPS map size, but on anything bigger?

I think about destroy doors to, its very great feature!

To have better breaching BIS also needs to have this in ArmA3 as well

I really hope xaitment will make it in

CQB is a large part of combat today, especially when it comes to clearing buildings and close areas. Usually, you have to get in the building first.

Currently ARMA 2 allows for a limited amount of entry method and the door is always defaulted to open. It would be nice to see the new physics engine incorporate door locks and destructible doors. Therefore, shotguns could have added value.

Along this lines comes windows and such too. It would be nice if you could blow out windows and be able to vault through when destroyed, possibly the V key could do this.

This destruction not only serves a purpose but also looks better than shooting through a window or door that never is destroyed!

What do you guys think?

I think it's a minor, but important feature.

i like it door have diff cover etc wood door not great 5 in metal GREAT

why not lock for cars 2

Edited by killercam

You can randomly have cars locked through script, but not doors. We did it in the MSO. One time during testing it was supposed to be 50%, after about 20 cars checked and 3km of running we finally found a car that was open. :p Story time by Ryan.

To have better breaching BIS also needs to have this in ArmA3 as well

I really hope xaitment will make it in

This would be awesome!