Sign in to follow this  
Bucic

New OA features in ArmA 2 missions ?

Will OA give me some extra features while playing ArmA 2 sp missions on Chernarus, like material penetration for example, or has new features been added in recent ArmA 2 patches anyway?

I'm not interested in new content (maps, units, vehicles etc.). Only new gameplay features.

There are several gameplay features that weren't ported back to A2, like multiple barrels, thermal imaging, stepped zoom ability, countermeasures, hardcoded CQB sights. OA is very affordable expansion pack both content and gameplay wise.

Will OA give me some extra features while playing ArmA 2 sp missions on Chernarus, like material penetration for example, or has new features been added in recent ArmA 2 patches anyway?

I'm not interested in new content (maps, units, vehicles etc.). Only new gameplay features.

Material penetration is improved in OA, as well as some other small things that aren't specifically content related.

Will I get at least the new sound engine in ArmA 2? http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83717

I'm not sure there is a "new sound engine" in OA, but any global (not specific to just certain content) engine updates would be observed in the A2 campaign. If there is a change in the sound engine, then yea it would be applied regardless of what content you are using.

I'm not sure there is a "new sound engine" in OA, but any global (not specific to just certain content) engine updates would be observed in the A2 campaign. If there is a change in the sound engine, then yea it would be applied regardless of what content you are using.

I assume that not all of such global features has been incorporated into ArmA 2 patches. Right?

I assume that not all of such global features has been incorporated into ArmA 2 patches. Right?
No. most of the A2 units are untouched. Only a few got updated...only those which classbase is used in OA.

In fact there are even some A2 features taken away, like A2 units conversation system or A2 ear ringin sound after explosions or cannon fire etc or a quirked OA damage model where you need an rpg to shatter the windshied of an unarmored HMMWV...etc or simply anyoing things like missing countermeasures for some USMC aircraft.

Edited by Beagle

Tough decission. Considering that I'm not interested in new content I would only need OA to play the latest ACE mod version...

Actually, ACE itself brings almost all the A2 units up to OA standard. Flashlights and thermals everywhere.

I have CO and play mostly on Chernarus.

Thanks for all your answers! It doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to learn more on the suject of how much ACE and OA improves ArmA 2 gameplay but I appreciate your input.

Some things I've noticed in AA2 with OA engine is that I get an improved performance (I've tested OA and AA2 at the same scenarios with same graphics settings and OA definitely runs faster), better AI (and the ability to put AI into a specific cover which AA2 lacks).

Oh and you do want new stuff that comes with OA. Considering that you easily can have (obviously non-vanilla AA2) missions on Chernarus with it.

Install Anzins weapons mod and you will also have alternative sights and IR lasers working on many vanilla AA2 weapons if you want to keep the game as mod-free as possible but still get some nice features.

Edited by metalcraze

So in general during e.g. ArmA 2 campaign I won't see much of new features thanks to OA.

AA2 campaign was made with AA2 features in mind obviously.

It isn't like BIS could've predicted what they'll have in OA.

Whatever general stuff OA improved (like the performance and AI) will be there in the campaign. Like US tanks will get range finders and thermal sights, some AKs will get zeroing and stuff like that.

But it's kinda silly to expect SCARs or takistani weapons in a campaign about USMC, Russia and Chernarus.

I clearly stated that I'm after gameplay improvements only. You said I'll get some performance and AI improvements. That's great. So improved material penetration simulation should be there too.

So in general during e.g. ArmA 2 campaign I won't see much of new features thanks to OA.

Operation Harvest is better played in A2 not in OA.

Playing it in OA brings too much troubles and has too much missing features.

In fact I think that A2 was indeed the better game.

The whole "Addon" idea was not worked out consequently rendering A2 units second class in OA.

One word - c.o.n.f.u.s.i.n.g.

I'd play it as a CO (A2 and OA from sprocket installed in the same directory) so I don't think there'd something like "play in A2" and "play in OA".

ArmA2 and ArmA2 OA (which works as CO if you have AA2 content installed) use different .exe

Will I get at least the new sound engine in ArmA 2?

Operation arrowhead supports up to 128 3D samples, apparentley it can negatively impact performance?. I don't know if a dedicated sound card alleviates the strain on the cpu/s?.

ArmA2 and ArmA2 OA (which works as CO if you have AA2 content installed) use different .exe

Jeez. Is there some sort of "usage manual" for CO? It's obviously needed...

Operation arrowhead supports up to 128 3D samples, apparentley it can negatively impact performance?. I don't know if a dedicated sound card alleviates the strain on the cpu/s?.

Fortunately ArmA 2 uses software sound engine so, AFAIK, the only difference you'd get is the sound quality.

Improvements In The Original ARMA 2 Game

• additional special effects (shaking camera, SSAO)
  • more optimized engine
  • brand new, more streamlined UI
  • improved radio chatter
  • improved vehicle simulation (top-down radar, flares, FLIR)
  • integrated mod management

found in the community FAQ http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ask_Bohemia_(about_Operation_Arrowhead..._or_anything_else_you_want_to_ask)!#Community_FAQ:_Purpose_and_guidelines

Either that list is incomplete or the improved penetration simulation is only for OA maps.

Also http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/games/arma-2-series/operation-arrowhead -> http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ask_Bohemia_about_A2OA_-_Answers

Reading that I've come to a conclusion that most engine improvements will get to ArmA 2 via patches anyway.

Sound:

• * improved and completely reworked radio protocols, including support for whispered voice when appropriate
  • * realistic filter of weapons sounds when inside vehicles
  • * new option allowing players to set maximum simultaneously played samples and increased default value (from 16 to 32)
  • * significantly improved voice over net (some of it will be included with early game updates).

Other

Q: What are some of the little things in OA that you think people will take a while to notice, but fall in love with once they do?

A: I think it is not really a little thing but perhaps it is not too obvious: The way how it integrates and improves the original Arma 2, while it is still full standalone game, is really amazing (and there is also a lot of work behind it to make it possible). Playing the original Arma 2 with A2OA installed feels great due to various improvements.

No specifics here though.

Edited by Bucic

Jeez. Is there some sort of "usage manual" for CO?

Fortunately ArmA 2 uses software sound engine so, AFAIK, the only difference you'd get is the sound quality.

I guess so yeah, but as Dwarden from Bohemia Interactive said A2: OA allows You define up to 128 mixed 3D sounds in ingame Audios settings (this is not available in A2)be aware it increase the CPU demand of game .

So i suppose having a top end sound card is of little use really?.

So i suppose having a top end sound card is of little use really?.

Please ask in appropriate forum topic :) Drop me a link and I promise I'll add something on the subject.

EDIT:

I've just ought OA and installed it to the same directory as my ArmA 2 I were using so far. I automatically got a Combined Operations shortcut created on my desktop (as Arma 2 + OA = CO) and, when launched, access to all missions, campaigns and content from both games in one place, powered by really improved UI. Hassle free! Especially that both Sprocket ArmA 2 and Sprocket OA came in latest versions, so no patches were required.

Edited by Bucic