Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Charles

ArmA2: OA Beta Patch 82901

Bullet impacts (dust, blood) are not displayed at all with the new beta :|

Changelog:

[82899] Fixed: Signature checking of BAF/PMC addons.

[82874] New: Command line option -nosound to run the game without accessing audio devices.

[82699] Optimized: Some background file operations are faster, esp. with low fps (should fix http://dev-heaven.net/issues/22227)

[82654] Optimized: Visual state interpolation fully enabled. (http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/company/developers-blog/230-experimental-betas-interpolating-the-future)

[82621] Improved: Weapons leaving hands while turning on ground

Download:

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Edited by Suma
Fixed changelog URLs

[82654] Optimized: Visual state interpolation fully enabled

The units at distance (~500m) don't jump position, they now slide from the previous position to the new in a couple of frames. The walking animation cycle is not well synced with the movement, and using MinErrorToSend=0.001 instead of default seems to resets the animation at every position update that happens just more frequently.

Old discussion on this issue can be also found at dev-heaven.

Edited by alef
update

Bullet impact effects (dust being kicked up, water being splashed, blood being gushed) are missing. :(

Hi all will we see a fix for bullet impact being broadcasted over network to all players.

At the moment we do have this BUT if say I am a sniper and me mate is a spotter and I shoot he will see impact only if it aint further than 500m I think but any further it does not get broadcasted.

Thanks

Hi all will we see a fix for bullet impact being broadcasted over network to all players.

At the moment we do have this BUT if say I am a sniper and me mate is a spotter and I shoot he will see impact only if it aint further than 500m I think but any further it does not get broadcasted.

Thanks

Bullet impact effects (dust being kicked up, water being splashed, blood being gushed) are missing. :(

I think the situation is even worse :slayer:

Problems with running a camera script on this beta on a client machine (running beta on its dedi). I can't move the camera!

Problems with running a camera script on this beta on a client machine (running beta on its dedi). I can't move the camera!

Can you provide the camera script? I have seen (and fixed) a similar issue before the patch was published, but perhaps my script was different.

Can confirm the bullet impact effects missing as well.

/KC

- no impact sfx.

- AI's jitter.

- random flashing appeared even in mission "E01:Hike in the Hills".

- AI's are walking in tight circles and never get out - what about adding 2-3 more steps into a certain direction so they are able to break out and get back to the team/group?

+ Or give the player a feature to unstuck them. (in OFP a well placed shot in their legs did help) ;)

- AI's jitter.

Noticed that as well but wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not.

- random flashing appeared even in mission "E01:Hike in the Hills".

Been trying to keep my eyes open for that "flashing bug" mentioned since a few patches but have not experienced it on my rig.

System:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.40 GHz

- 4 GB RAM @ 1066 MHz

- nVidia GTX 260 896 MB (Driver: 191.07 WHQL)

- Windows XP Pro SP2

Command line parameters:

-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -profiles=d:\games\ARMAII~1\ -maxmem=2047 -bepath=client1 -name=KeyCat

In-game settings:

Visibility: 3416 m

Brightness: 1.0

Gamma: 1.0

Interface resolution: 1280x960

3D resolution: 1280x960 (100%)

Texture details: Very high

Video memory: Default

Anisotropic filtering: Very high

Antialiasing: High

Terrain detail: Very high

Objects detail: Very high

Shadow detail: Very high

Postprocessing effects: Very low

Interface size: Small

Aspect ratio: 4:3 - Normal

Vsync: Enabled

Using:

A2(DVD)+OA(DVD)+BAF(Sprocket)+PMC(Sprocket)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I'm still only getting around 8-10fps in Benchmark 2, no noticable change from previous builds. Does "[82654] Optimized: Visual state interpolation fully enabled." only mean that the interpolation part is enabled, but not yet the separation of renderer and simulation? With a full separation of the simulation process I would expect significantly higher frame rates.

This interpolation stuff in Arma2 should be faster eventually, and anything else similar for that matter. Its a big change. Team switching via the teamswitch macro seems to allow switching to a dead unit (with no user input control afterwards). Its bound to have initial problems, but will be worth it inn the end. The more parallel the better and faster!

Like Blue Steel, I'm also getting around 8-10 fps with this beta und a few before (not sure since which one exactly it started) in situations where I usually have 25-35 fps. But not in the benchmark (didn't try) but while playing warfare online.

Usually I'm playing on the XR server (http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/172003) with a set of soundmods (http://46.4.89.112/ArmA%20II/Addons/SOUND%20MODS/@XRSMv4.rar), so that might sound like I haven't eliminated all other possible reasons for the fps drop. But when I leave the server and come back with the same mods in the same game, just without beta (or with an earlier beta like 79600), it works fine.

I'm not getting any crash from that, otherwise I'd gladly post a dump. That's my starting line:

"E:\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -world=empty -exthreads=7 -skipintro -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;BAF;PMC;@XRSMv4

(I know exthreads is not needed anymore, but can't be wrong actually, can it?)

Anyone else having similar issues?

Edited by Brainbug

[82899] Fixed: Signature checking of BAF/PMC addons.

I confirmed that this fixes the problem for us. It appears to be a client-side only requirement. Running the 1.59 server with the client at beta 82901 allows the use of v2 signatures when the client has BAF/PMC installed.

Came around to play our MP missions since a long while with this new beta. My observations:

1. Bullet impacts missing - confirmed.

2. Performance - very good, no glitches no FPS hiccups.

3. No crashes at all, neither clients nor server

3. Bug: If you get into an M2 HMMWV as driver or gunner the outside view is way too close so you're looking into the chassis. Funny thing: this only happens in MP mode. In SP it's all fine.

And I wonder:

[82654] Optimized: Visual state interpolation fully enabled.

Would a sniper still be able to hit a unit moving alongside an interpolated path? Or is the movement just eye candy and not always linked to the real position? So that bullets would cut through a ghost image at times?

Thank you,

VictorFarbau

Is there a way we'll see some "real" bugs fixed in the near future? I'm just asking cause I have the feeling since a few months there are only small engine improvements, tiny AI optimizations which cause other bugs that are fixed with the next beta patch. I'm missing some fixes for the real gamebreaking bugs/AI misbehaviours still existing in this game. Just look the signature of some people (or for example my own). I stopped playing A2 because of this bug http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18846. It's no fun to play infantry vs. vehicles, if you know that the AI is overpowered because of a bug.

I don't want to complain about the bug fixing priority BI chose (if you could call memory allocation improvement as bug fixing). But if I know that these major bugs won't get fixed soon, I can save me the time and disappointment coming here and check for new fixes which would make the game better.

- no impact sfx.

- AI's jitter.

- AI's are walking in tight circles and never get out - what about adding 2-3 more steps into a certain direction so they are able to break out and get back to the team/group?

Could you add repro for those two problems?

Try placing an AI squad under your command and then ordering all to scan horizon.

In my case I get AIs trembling a lot while they turn.

I don't want to complain about the bug fixing priority BI chose (if you could call memory allocation improvement as bug fixing). But if I know that these major bugs won't get fixed soon, I can save me the time and disappointment coming here and check for new fixes which would make the game better.

You know that you DON'T have to use the beta ?

Is there a way we'll see some "real" bugs fixed in the near future? I'm just asking cause I have the feeling since a few months there are only small engine improvements, tiny AI optimizations which cause other bugs that are fixed with the next beta patch. I'm missing some fixes for the real gamebreaking bugs/AI misbehaviours still existing in this game. Just look the signature of some people (or for example my own). I stopped playing A2 because of this bug http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18846. It's no fun to play infantry vs. vehicles, if you know that the AI is overpowered because of a bug.

I attempt following bugs to get fixed:

- serious performance or stability issues (game not running)

- most demanded by community (vote count on the CIT is the major factor here)

- bugs which get me interested somehow, or which I personally consider to be fundamental

If you think some issue deserves more attention, feel free to convince more people to vote for it.

As "AI warping - especially at distance" is by far the most voted issue, we have dedicated a significant effort to solve it by means of introducing interpolation, hoping besides of fixing the issue it will bring some performance gain as well.

Regarding the issue about 360 field of vision for vehicles, I was not aware of it, mostly because it was not upvoted enough - now that I am aware of it, I will look at it, because "I personally consider it to be fundamental"

Yeah I cant wait for warping units to be fixed in COOP/MP games to that will be sweet then I may have a chance at sniping them :P.

Deffo not lag as this even happens over LAN with zero ping etc.

Any ways great work BIS thanks for the commitment

... now that I am aware of it, I will look at it, because "I personally consider it to be fundamental"

awesome !!! :rolleyes:

Is it possible to override default AI internal behaviour by players command?

Would be great if the player can order his soldier (inferior) to use a certain weapon (pistol/launcher...) or feature and the AI won't switch it until told otherwise.

Advantage is that the AI won't fool around with their weapons + stuff and be ready by call. Setting up an (AT) ambush with AI ingame is like playing Russian roulette.

Another plus is that the player can strictly order his AI team to use CQB weapons (or PDWs/pistols) to clear rooms, compounds and other narrow places without beeing afraid that the AI will switch to whatever (non-CQB) weapon.

If its too difficult, stressing and time consuming to implement proper behaviour - let the player be fully responsible for his own orders/actions. As team or group leader its expected that you know what you are doing anyway. :)