Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Backpacks for A2 Units

I made a quick config to add backpacks to the A2 units. I did this mainly because I was making a mission where I needed Russian and CDF units to set up some static weapons, and couldn't figure a way to do it without lots of scripts.

The addon adds the ability for units from the original Arma2 factions to carry any of the OA backpacks, just like the OA units. A2 Medic units cannot carry backpacks, again, just like OA medic units.

The mod is signed.

NOTE: Since the BIS A2 models do not have the backpack proxy, you will not be able to see the backpack on the unit's back! The backpack function works correctly, despite being unable to see it.

So now Russian, CDF, NAPA, CHDKZ, and of course USMC units can carry backpacks... Enjoy!

Download link here:

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265&sc=documents&uc=1&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211431

wasn't there something (exaclty the same to be honest )similar released a long time ago ? i have been using the backpacks for A2 units for i can't remember how long now.

is this an update of that file or is this completly new ?

-Psycho-;1985430']is this addon on serverside needed?

If you want serverside AI to be able to use backpacks, yes.

So whats the difference between this and GLT OPA Backpacks 4 All?

It is obvious:

- the one you've linked is from 2010. So this one is newer and therefor better.

- this one is made by hcpookie while the other was made by Legislator.

Do you really need more differences?

@hcpookie

don't get me wrong, in general i appreciate your effort but making an addon that already exist in the very same version is somewhat of pointless. No offence, mate, keep making addons. Just make sure it doesn't exist already.

And it is possible to make backpacks shown on the backs of the units. May not be ideal but possible.

ACE allows all AA2 units to have visible backpacks. Now I'm not sure about the implementation but most likely it's through AttachTo and one of the memory points on unit's back. Still the backpacks appear a little bit displaced to the side, although repeating the same animation unit plays in sync.

ACE backpacks use the Launcher selection, which is also used by .. launchers (M136 AT4/RPG7 etc)

Aw shucks! It looks like GLT beat me to it :) To be honest I was searching for backpack info and didn't find that thread which drove me to make this one. Yesterday was kind of a hectic day for me so I may have just overlooked it.

Apologies, I didn't intend to reinvent the wheel! :(

One difference with mine - my config models the OA config to the A2 units... specifically it mirrors the backpack ability for the specific *soldier* units. In other words, all soldiers except medics can carry backpacks with my addon. So this addon is more restrictive than GLT's addon, which (I think) opens backpacks to all "man" units. A small difference to be sure! I figured Civilians wouldn't need backpacks anyway.

At any rate, anyone is free to use it any way they wish, so if someone wanted to use it to expand with the attachTo config they are welcome :)

Edited by hcpookie

Good job hcpookie

The more people look into configs and release addons the better.

Thanks for your effort hcpookie, I for one downloaded and use your addon. People here sometimes tend to over-react and jump on every possibility to point out mistakes, this is the "internetz" you know. :)

One difference with mine - my config models the OA config to the A2 units... specifically it mirrors the backpack ability for the specific *soldier* units. In other words, all soldiers except medics can carry backpacks with my addon. So this addon is more restrictive than GLT's addon, which (I think) opens backpacks to all "man" units. A small difference to be sure! I figured Civilians wouldn't need backpacks anyway.

Thats great actually. Will try it out.

Edited by 11aTony