Sign in to follow this  
Commonplace

Density of the forrests

First of all, I am sorry but I do not know much about the greek islands.

One thing from OFP to ArmA 2 have been the density of the forrests. In the past it made perfect sense, due to hardware constraint. But I remember that the density of the forrests in each iteration of the series increased, e.g. the

woods in ArmA II are more dense (filled with trees) than the woods in Armed Assault and the way around.

Can we expect (I am not talking about real life density) an increase in tree

density again?

That's odd, I thought OFP had the densest forests. You can easily drive a car through a forest in Arma 1 and 2, but not so in OFP.

That's odd, I thought OFP had the densest forests. You can easily drive a car through a forest in Arma 1 and 2, but not so in OFP.

Yeah that was the first thing i was thinking of when i was reading this, i still play OFP/CWA and i can not drive trough forest like in Armed Assault and ArmA2 or at least thats how i feel about it. However they increased the scale of the forests in AA and ArmA2 compairing to OFP/CWA but it was the most denser in the first tittle tho.

anyway It could be so that we going to have lesser woods like said already previous however i lover to have at least some woods and if they make some make them denser while they are at it ;-)

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

Euro woodland is my favoured terrain type. But, I'll take anything going :)

The forest density is actually biggest in OFP.

AA2 has the least dense forests.

And Lemnos won't have forests at all (probably because of "omg AI shot me through the bush and I thought they were concrete baaww" when AA2 came out but that's another story)

AA2 has the least dense forests.

And Lemnos won't have forests at all (probably because of "omg AI shot me through the bush and I thought they were concrete baaww" when AA2 came out but that's another story)

And how is it so sure if they will not have any wood? I love woods :D

Well, most Greek islands have thick woods, but Lemnos is somewhat different. It reminds me of Falklands a bit, as there are little shrubs and I don't think I've seen any bigger wooded areas ;)

Here are couple of reviews from folks that came from Lemnos recently:

http://www.greeka.com/eastern_aegean/lemnos/reviews/lemnos-0.htm

Well, most Greek islands have thick woods, but Lemnos is somewhat different. It reminds me of Falklands a bit, as there are little shrubs and I don't think I've seen any bigger wooded areas ;)

Here are couple of reviews from folks that came from Lemnos recently:

http://www.greeka.com/eastern_aegean/lemnos/reviews/lemnos-0.htm

Well no forests thats sad :( Ah well lemnos will not disepoint me! It will not be the only island I bet we will have tons of islands for it later on after release :p i know one that can make some good ones hehehe :D and i bet with a lot of dencity on the forests .....

Edited by KBourne

We probably won't see much denser woodland areas from what we saw in Takistan. Maybe a few patches here and there.

inb4 A3 is released, people wine the map has no big forests, expansion is released and has a thick african jungle map, people whine that it's unplayable.

OFP forrests were visibly denser, but they were also made up of larger chunks instead of individual trees like they are in ArmA. In terms of object density, ArmA 2 is much denser. But I do agree that really dense forrests like OFP would be nice if it didn't create performance issues.

inb4 A3 is released, people wine the map has no big forests, expansion is released and has a thick african jungle map, people whine that it's unplayable.

The difference is that in the former case people will be correct and in the latter people will whine because they don't want to learn to play.

This is a good idea for expansion though. I definitely want to see another european map. Judging by Europe being invaded maybe we'll get something like north Germany next time?

A proper Bundeswehr is something this game desperately needs too.

Edited by metalcraze

I prefer open country, where you can see friends and foes. Densest forests in Arma 2/OA, IMHO, are the jungles in the Unsung mod. Have spent much time spraying at ghosts behind bushes and trees there in the 'Nam. Great immersive environment - you spend your time squinting through the undergrowth, unlike Takistan, where you can turn on the TV and half watch a football game while on a mission.

Dense bushes have a more important effect on gameplay, as their leaves are all at ground level and block more line of sight. More performance-efficient too, as the bulk of the leaves aren't above your head doing nothing. Also, BI's bushes tend to have more accurate viewblock geometry than their canopy leaves.

Dense bushes have a more important effect on gameplay, as their leaves are all at ground level and block more line of sight. More performance-efficient too, as the bulk of the leaves aren't above your head doing nothing. Also, BI's bushes tend to have more accurate viewblock geometry than their canopy leaves.

Performance efficient? I'm pretty sure ArmA is better optimized than that; things you aren't looking at aren't going to significantly drag down your framerate.

Performance efficient? I'm pretty sure ArmA is better optimized than that; things you aren't looking at aren't going to significantly drag down your framerate.

Well, not primarily. But if you have 800 canopy trees, you still need 1000 bushes to get a good claustrophobic environment. Making do with just the 1000 bushes and scattered tree would mean less objects to draw. Also, don't forget the shadows from up above, and that you will often see entire forests on the opposite slope of a hilly Mediterranean environment.

Well, the island is big, and I sure hope to find some good sized conifer and pine tree forests, preferably dominated by old trees with a long stem before the branches, even if they are not present on the real deal. Maybe up in the northern regions?

You can fight AI in such forests. You cannot fight them in densely covered bush areas, especially players who for hardware reasons cannot play with the best texture settings. I have no objections against Arma2 forests (except reduce the complexity of certain trees) - I played cat and mouse with a Vodnik MG hunting my out of ammo infantry ass for an hour and it was great fun (and sweat, and blood eventually).

It's not about learning to play, it's about providing the variety needed to allow more variety in mission types. Trees provide relatively solid cover, bushes provide concealment only, I don't see why we shouldn't have both (in separate locations).

Sahrani had plateaus, mountains, sea, sandy beaches and deserts, bush areas, and forests.

Chernarus had sea, forests, forested hills, and just a few bushy areas.

Takistan had rocks, barren landscape, valleys and mountains.

I want the next island to have all of these, as all of them provide means to create missions with different tactical possibilities. For me, that is more important than realism.

I reckon lemnos will be great without forests, dont get me wrong i love a bit of forest, i like everythign for variety, and hopefully someone will port chernarus over, it feels like a crappy map with not manny landmarks when looking for place to start mission, but when in the mission the lay of the land was near perfect. I am hoping a lot of old maps are ported over, might not happen but I expect to see chernarus at the very least.

Yeah that was the first thing i was thinking of when i was reading this, i still play OFP/CWA and i can not drive trough forest like in Armed Assault and ArmA2 or at least thats how i feel about it.

The forest density has nothing to do with whether or not you can drive through it.

In OFP the forests were made up of large blocks of trees (i.e. a single model with many trees in it), so they had to be indestructible (how do you knock down a single tree out of an object of ~50?). ArmA introduced forests made up of individual trees, which is why you can now drive through it.

You could create a forest in A2 (of individual trees) as dense as those found in OFP, and you would still be able to drive through it.

Closer to the ground, the forests in A2 actually have MUCH more going on than those in OFP. Tree roots, bushes, branches, and all kinds of other ground clutter, 90% of which was not present in OFP.

Surely the ability to knock down individual trees in the forest is nice

But why would you be driving through it? It's very slow and it's dangerous.

I've been playing a lot of OFP recently and the forests are variable. Some forests are easily drivable, some are almost impenetrable.

And yes they are blocks, large multi-tree map objects. Trees not in forests are normal destructible trees.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Surely the ability to knock down individual trees in the forest is nice

But why would you be driving through it? It's very slow and it's dangerous.

I used to serve, and we would regularly set up a base in a forest.

Speaking of knocking down trees, I hate it when you create an LZ say in the middle of the jungle by blowing a shit tonne of trees down. Then you come back in the mission later and all the trees are there again. Damn it! I wish it recorded what you did previously, because you didn't change the mission, it's the same mission. It's been on the server for hours and the only difference was you disconnecting and then coming back on.

Campaigns should be made so that you can use scripts goign from one mission to the next, for example

mission one:

if !alive man1 then{

manalive0;

};

if alive man1 then{

manalive1;

};

manalive(0/1) is a value that goes from one campaign to the next, this may already be possible but i could never figure it out :\

@rye do you mean in the mso and other large games like warfare, if it is in the exact same game and the mission hasnt been changed/restarted then this is an issue that deffinitly needs to be adressed.

The forest density has nothing to do with whether or not you can drive through it.

You could create a forest in A2 (of individual trees) as dense as those found in OFP, and you would still be able to drive through it.

I'm not sure we have the same idea what density means. To me it means the number of trees in a given area, be they a bunched up object or not, and Chernarus just can't compete with OFP in that regard. CWR² Everon's forests were deliberately made some of the densest in any community-made map just to bring back the OFP feeling.