Sign in to follow this  
dragon zen

[SP]AdvancingPower - A 4F Dynamic Mission

Spent most of last week playing this - best mission I've played in some time :)

There's epic combat to be had in it. My favourite at the moment is placing the AO in the towns of Takistan and fighting in them with no heavy vehicles, loads of infantry, a few light vehicles and all the air support options.

Some feedback/ideas for you.

• As Katipo666 mentioned, it would be good to save a default set up. Maybe this could be done from a userconfig file or something similar.
  • Option to choose the starting player character.
  • Multiplayer compatibility :)

Thanks though - it's amazing as it is.

Hey Dragon Zen,

Just another thought :D

Usually i like to play with a large battle zone radius and no time limit, mostly to try and have the fight in different areas of the map, but usually the battle stays in one general area.

What if you could setup multiple zones, like in advance and secure style... for example in the first setup screen you can maybe setup 3 different zones... example image here

This is how i imagine it would work:

• The battle begins in the first (middle) zone, lets say for 20mins as an example
  • When the time is up the battle will restart and spawn in a new zone depending on who wins
  • And so on until one side wins 2 zones consecutively

Or something like that...

And just other random thoughts i dont think i have ever used decoy/ninja stuff etc? but i do purchase units and call artillery all the time, also it feels like there are too many ammo crates falling?

Edited by Katipo66

I generally love dynamic warfare and especially with the easy way of adding in any addon available - G R E A T !

Two questions:

- How complicated is it to port the mission to other islands?

- How complicated would it be to make a COOP from it?

Thanks for your support.

1. If you want to play it in other mission, just (1) put a soldier on new map and save the mission, (2) unpack the current PBO, copy all files (except mission.xxx) into the fold of new mission, and you get it.

2. I don't know how to create MP mission yet, but as you see, I gradually change it into a MP missions.

(please notice that I just post 4.0.2 and fix little bugs)

I didn't come here for long time, and these days new version just released. Thanks for suggestion.

I still don't know how to build multiplayers. The new version can give you the chance to change the starting player character, that's one of improvement of new version!

Save default set up? you mean players can save set up and next time just load it? I don't know how to use userconfig file, but I think versions in the future may open the code, and I will mentioned how to edit some flexible variables in this mission.

Nice, thanks for the quick response and also nice that the mission is easy to port to other islands. This easy porting plus the addon compatibility ( I play with P85, PLA, SLX, ACE and Group Link 4) raises the replay value of the mission enormously!

Further wishes:

1. I was wondering if the automatic addon-search of the mission could be improved. I noticed that mod factions are not always detected in basic factions menu, or is it just me??! Because of that, it takes some time when you want to play with another faction like PLA or one side from P85 because you have to create a whole new faction everytime you restart the mission, select soldier by soldier and vehicle by vehicle and have to deselect the other default factions everyt ime. It would be very nice if all addon factions' vehicles and soldiers would be detected by the mission from the beginning i.e. to be seen in basic factions menu without having to create them with the detail menu.

2. If you allow addon soldiers and vehicles to be used by the mission, would it be possible to change the type of support units as well, i.e. artillery, planes and helicopters according to the factions selected? You know if you think of using Invasion 1944 factions with the mission, it kinda looks funny when A10s and Apaches appear in a WW2 battle :D

Thank you!

Edited by ZeroG

Further wishes:

Well, you know, the automatic detect can't tell out which soldier is SquadLeader, which is Anti-tank, and there is also soldier without weapon. So it is not that easy to prepare the list.

In fact, I think the most easy way is opening the code and telling players where to edit critical values. Thus players can save different mission with certain setting and needn't change it every time. What's more, there will be more and more variables added into the faction, it will be complex to build the display.

I think the most easy way is opening the code and telling players where to edit critical values.

True - that way one could port the mission to a certain mod and it will avoid to figure out how the userconfig is to be used :D

Dragon Zen, thank you for giving so much of your time to the community.

I play this mission more than any other.

Greetings from Thailand, Bro.

Dear Katipo66:

Didn't notice your suggestion.

Use different zones are the earliest thought on this mission, I tried to build the mission just like World in Conflict, but finally I give up and I have forgotten why... This kind of setting can make the mission more realistic, because it seems there are some important points rather than seize every meter.

After all, it requires basic change of the mission, so I'm sorry may be I don't have too much time to write those code.

Thank you all the same!

True - that way one could port the mission to a certain mod and it will avoid to figure out how the userconfig is to be used :D

OK, the 4.10 version has been released, now you can edit yourself!

Dear Katipo66:

Didn't notice your suggestion.

Use different zones are the earliest thought on this mission, I tried to build the mission just like World in Conflict, but finally I give up and I have forgotten why... This kind of setting can make the mission more realistic, because it seems there are some important points rather than seize every meter.

After all, it requires basic change of the mission, so I'm sorry may be I don't have too much time to write those code.

Thank you all the same!

I just seen this, no problem bro :)

Thanks for the latest release, looks like you have done a lot of work, great effort and thanks!:ok:

Thanks for your support.

1. If you want to play it in other mission, just (1) put a soldier on new map and save the mission, (2) unpack the current PBO, copy all files (except mission.xxx) into the fold of new mission, and you get it.

2. I don't know how to create MP mission yet, but as you see, I gradually change it into a MP missions.

(please notice that I just post 4.0.2 and fix little bugs)

What do you mean by mission.xxx? I've extracted the files and I don't know which should be truncated.

update: Managed to figure it out, got thirsk winter working for a few minutes before it crashed. The last thing that was happening was some paradrops happening around me.

Edited by anelaidlives

What do you mean by mission.xxx? I've extracted the files and I don't know which should be truncated.

update: Managed to figure it out, got thirsk winter working for a few minutes before it crashed. The last thing that was happening was some paradrops happening around me.

I mean the mission.sqm, I was lazy.

Since the mission work for a few minutes, it seems major part is OK. Is there any explanation for crashed? what paradrops? Airtroop or boxdrop??

There are two possible reason I think: maybe you add too much groups and your computer crashed; or, there indeed some bugs in this mission.

It seemed to be a squad of ordianry paratroopers, let me see if I have a save file and I'll see how much activity that I have.

I'd imagine that since Thirsk has a lot of trees, maybe its related to that?

It seemed to be a squad of ordianry paratroopers, let me see if I have a save file and I'll see how much activity that I have.

I'd imagine that since Thirsk has a lot of trees, maybe its related to that?

To be frank, I didn't test the paratroops yet for a long while, because everytime I run it with para closed. I'll test it.

As well, is it possible to make a mission work with I44?

That said, Fallujah city battle is one of the most intense things I've ever done, thanks for this scenario!

Dragon Zen, first of all I want to say thank you very much for your work!

This is the greatest mission I ever played!

In fact now I play ONLY your 3.55 ver. in falludja! Of course, I have 4.10, but I like 3.55's concept much more.

I would be very grateful if you could answer the following:

1. How (if at all) can I add buildings or fortifications on falludja's map? It became boring to see all the time the same landscape :)

2. How (if at all) can I see (or change) weapons of soldiers when choosing them? That is because soldiers that have pistols tend to use them on the short distances and AI "forget" to switch back to normal weapon.

(Hence they could be easily killed, which is not interesting)

Again, THANKS A LOT!

ADDIT: I finally figured out the answer to my question below.

After the 'match' startsup the recruit soldiers function is found under the '0' key, and gear is purchased at the ammo crate immediately at the players location :)

Wow, this seems to be a FANTASTIC mod! I've poked around setting up a game a couple times, and if I understand correctly you can basically create your own custom battles?

I'm trying to set up a small battle 1 USMC group vs. 3 soviet groups. Two questions:

1) I don't see in the setup windows how to specify which soldiers are in each main group

2) Once the initial 90 seconds are over I'm not seeing how to use a barracks or anything to purchase units or weapons; is that what the 'starting money' is supposed to be for?

My apologies if these are stupid questions, but I'm fairly new to the game.

Edited by Anthropoid

i hope you can get this working in mp/dedi. thumps up

I'm a bit perplexed by the spawning positions in this mission. The initial configuration window says that "Initial bases just determine facing directions" but my initial spawn and ammo crate always seems to be in the general area of the Base for my side.

I'm not a particularly skilled ArmA player so I'm really just trying to learn a bit using this mission, but I cannot see to find the 'most forgiving' settings so that the enemy spawns a sufficient distance that I can actually get my soldiers recruited and setup and ready for the battle.

I've tried setting the enemy base, far far away with only 1 enemy group, no 'auxilliary enemy units' teleport (and all other support options off) and the battle field set to very large size -> I'm still getting enemies spawning in the immediate vicinity of my spawn and capping me and my squad before I can even get my soldiers fully recruited much less oriented and deployed how I want.

Seems like a great mission, but . . . ah well. If I can't figure it out, guess I'll just play some other mission :)

You can set the length of the battlefield in the 3rd screen? Make sure you have map on, move the slider so the spawn areas spread further apart, if that's what you are doing then not sure what might be happening.

Thanks Katipo66.

Yeah I tried that, set the battlefield to maximum length. That is also what I suspected would effect the spawn areas. Maybe I need to try it with a much larger battlefield radius; With the smallest battefield radius (400m) the AI just bumrush the show and the maximum battlefield length is only about 800m. Making the battlefield radius ~2km might make it possible to expand the length of the battlefield more thus causing the East/West spawns to be farther apart.

While we're on the topic: any idea what the "player starting position width" does? I guess if you've got a large force making the starting area wider will space them out in their initial spawn?

Also, I'm guessing that the width of the battlefield figures into the calculations for the "rush to win." For example, I set my battlefield center on a village and then put the two starting bases at polar ends of an axis drawn along the towns central road. I would guess that if I make the battlefield only slightly wider than the village, the AI will fight to control the village and not so much swarm the whole area?

Very neat tool. Now I just need to get competent enough with the damn game engine that I don't get capped instantaneously ;)

@Anthropoid:

Didn't come for couple of days and thank Katipo66 for those explanation. Yes, the two bases should put as far as possible because they only decide the direction of the battlefield.

The area of battlefield is marked by the three rectangle, and they decide the distance between spawn, and the big circle is the furtherest extent that FireCenter can move (FireCenter move out of the circle will lead to clean sweep)

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

HOTFIX release, sorry for that bug.

Maybe I need to try it with a much larger battlefield radius; With the smallest battefield radius....

Sorry, i forgot to mention the radius can be set quite large.

@Dragon Zen, thanks for continuing to work on this bro, its still an awesome way to setup missions, and now im used to all the screens :D