Sign in to follow this  
SSgt Decker

What is wrong with the ARMA Community!

Ever since I got this game I've been disappointed. The way I see it now, the ArmA community is becoming divided. Every night I get on this game and throw my own missions up on my server and no one joins out of the whole night. One thing that has me upset is all the clans, they require you to do bullshit like have set training times and make you say "yes sir!" over a fucking VIDEO GAME. Get a life seriously! Secondly 99% of the public servers have either Domination, or Warfare running which to me gets boring very fast. What ever happened to the good old days of OFP where you had people with open servers making fun user-made co-op missions, and people actually came in and played them? It seems now you either have to join a clan or be forced to go play domination or warfare. The other thing is the players who ARE actually making co-op missions are all locking their servers cause of cheaters or modders that will go in and cause shit. It's very frustrating for people like me who like to make/play user made co-op missions then come on and see no one to play with us. I even come on the forums and post a thread asking people to come play, and out of the thousands of forum viewers, only 2 want to come play. That's just my 2 cents of whats happening with the community.

Bear in mind that times have changed since OFP. A lot more servers to play on. It takes you some research to find some like minded people. You need to find other people which suits your game style best. The community exists for ten long years now. A lot of clan activity . . . closed circuits sometimes. Tons of quality usermade addons which the community uses naturally and which makes it difficult most of the times to get immediate access and play.

Don't give up try some other servers which are more casual. There is an appropiate forum section where you can find like minded people.

ArmA MP has his difficulties in various aspects especially concerning the hacking into multi player missions TK and all that shit happens. Therefore alot of servers are closed. But you can approach them by asking. If you want that people join on your server give them a reason to do so . . . make friends.

C'ya:D

I have to agree and disagree with the original poster.

I found multiplayer on arma 2 be really bad. Then I joined a clan, now thats all I play with on arma 2. For mp you need a clan to have fun. You need one. Also not all clans make you say yes sir. Actually I've never seen one make you say sir at all. I don't blame clans for making training missions and such and you need some sort of order in clans to do things that is why you need to follow the chain of command.

As for domination and warfare. I find it fine when your alone. But I would perfer a co op mission or insurgency by far.

People that cast off training and some form of hierarchy (even if its just casual) in this game really are cheating themselves.

Also, this game, for some things requires training. My addons are very realistic for the most part, and most people cant just jump in and start laying howitzers for fire missions or programming radios.

I intend to keep making realistic addons that require people to use a modicum of intelligence to use, and to use effectively.

People that cast off training and some form of hierarchy (even if its just casual) in this game really are cheating themselves.

Also, this game, for some things requires training. My addons are very realistic for the most part, and most people cant just jump in and start laying howitzers for fire missions or programming radios.

I intend to keep making realistic addons that require people to use a modicum of intelligence to use, and to use effectively.

Hey, first thing I have full Respect for all the members of the modding community of this community. You guys put a lot of had work into making this game better and adding to this great GAME PLAY from BOHEMIA but get real. You need to have a full training session to show a person how to use a new mod ie push this button and hold for 3 seconds then hit this one and

look here. lol Get real guys. Some of you will never understanding where we are coming from.

1. I did not want the game play to change:) maybe a little more realistic and harder in some ways.

2. I am not into run and gun gameplay. I Perfer a slow pace game with a main focus on full teamwork with limited units and Resources.

3. I don't want to join a clan/unit just to play a game for a few hrs/wk when I have some downtime from real life things.

4. Nor do I want to join anything to play a GAME yes a game over the internet with schedule times to play or meet. I can see it now. I am very sorry but I can't go to dinner,work,or your babies birthday party because I need to meet my clan to play a viedo game:o

5. I would like BOHEMIA to add tools so a person can setup a host room/server and have full control to stop cheating.

6. I would love to see a waiting lobby where players can talk to the host before they play so the host can Select to let them play in the mission in progress or not.

7. I would love to see open player rooms/servers where players just play the game and have Respect for the mission designer or host.

Why is it so hard to understand this. This is the way it was and it was so much better. The way it is now ARMA is not growing in players. Just look at the numbers of people playing most nights maybe less then few hundred for the best war game hands down on the market.

Well that is my point. I do have a good small group to play with but it is sad that other players just can't hook up with other players with the same mind set and just play ARMA for the love of the game and with Respect for others.

Good day and good night Avibird has left the post.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

I wish MP was more accessible to people who don't want to play in clans.

Sorry, I do not have time to "train" or make it to "ops". Nor do I want to take orders from someone online. I like realism, but I also like the freedom to play where I want. Rainbow Six had a good thing going I though, great community with lots of clans, but everything was open. You could hop from lobby to lobby, sometimes it was randoms, sometimes clans. I feel like ArmA is exclusively for private clans these days, I've yet to find a fun public game.

Well maybe it's because people on public servers have no time to "train" or take orders from someone online. They may like realism , but they also like the freedom of grabbing a chopper that isn't intended for them and crashing it somewhere. I wonder why public games are no fun... Maybe because ArmA2 or clans are to blame?

Edited by metalcraze

Everyone who plays the game different than me is wrong.

And Myke, I like American football so soccer should no longer be played. ;)

lol, this is why I play sp. I can always do what I want haha :D

I still think you are taking clans the wrong way. Its not like you are getting a job, you're not required to miss things because your clan is playing. Jeez listen to what we say.

Its not that people have no life its that people pay upwards of 50 dollars a month to run a dedicated server so people can enjoy the game. Running a dedicated server and most of the time a clan website takes allot of work and money so the people running the clan have every right to run it the way they want. So next time you say somebody doesn't have a life you should do research on your audience ;)

2. I am not into run and gun gameplay. I Perfer a slow pace game with a main focus on full teamwork with limited units and Resources.

Jap, and in public you end up with a Abrams gunner that has no idea how to hit a moving target and while he tries to figure out you get blown up by a Metis in the meantime. Killed by stupidity, no thanks.

3. I don't want to join a clan/unit just to play a game for a few hrs/wk when I have some downtime from real life things.

Well, you get what you pay for, in this case not in form of $ but of effort. You don't want to invest some effort in a "group of people that enjoy playing this particular game" then you have to take what's left. easy as that.

4. Nor do I want to join anything to play a GAME yes a game over the internet with schedule times to play or meet. I can see it now. I am very sorry but I can't go to dinner,work,or your babies birthday party because I need to meet my clan to play a viedo game

Uhm...can't remember where someone said it is that strict being in a clan but i'm sure you can link to that particular post where that was stated. After all it's "just" a clan, not the USMC.

5. I would like BOHEMIA to add tools so a person can setup a host room/server and have full control to stop cheating.

Dedicated server, Battleye, signature checking...what do you expect more? Care to explain?

6. I would love to see a waiting lobby where players can talk to the host before they play so the host can Select to let them play in the mission in progress or not.

AFAIK on the assigning screen a server admin can kick someone, people can chat. After that, i hardly guess that the the admin also would like to play and not be distracted every minute bacuse someone just connected. IIRC in the server browser you can see if the mission already started or if they are in setting up a game.

7. I would love to see open player rooms/servers where players just play the game and have Respect for the mission designer or host.

jap, i see your respect, how you laugh at people that chosen to play the GAME in another manner than you think it should be played. Just look what yourself wrote as answer to NouberNou...is that the respect you mean? Laughing at them?

:EDITH:

@Mosh

i enjoy watching the Superbowl and i give Jack about soccer. Still waiting for the one that realizes what i did in this post. :p

I really hope nobody is trying to use ArmA 2 to train for combat. That's what VBS is for.

ArmA 2 is a simulation game. It has a story and all other features of a typical game, but with a higher fidelity of realism than most others.

Simulators also enforce realism and certain interactions with the player, ArmA 2 does not. ArmA 2 is a sandbox; it does not reflect all aspects of the real world (especially the lack of unnatural consequences).

All of that is implied without me having to state it. Arma 2 is a simulator if you want it to be. It can just as easily be a corridor shooter a la Hexenkessel.

My point being there's no point trying to categorise Arma 2, it's whatever people want it to be, it's how you approach it.

Yea, most of the simulation aspects of arma 2, when playing as infantry at least is meta-gaming. None of the constraints of realism are enforced, you don't have to work as a squad, you don't have to communicate, or anything like that. Look at almost every single Domination public server.

The thing is that there is equipment, like artillery, which to make it balanced requires realism. BIS point and click artillery is NOT fun for most people, because it is over powered, over accurate, and most of all, way too easy. Adding in realistic artillery adds an entire new way of playing, it might as well be a separate game all together. It does require special knowledge because its for the most part fairly accurately modeled.

You can jump from CoD to ArmA2 and generally be OK as long as they stick to using just a rifle, but the cool thing in ArmA2 is that not everything is running and gunning (even if you do it slowly and deliberately). There is opportunity in the game engine to provide very realistic simulations of other military hardware. You could take the CoD example I just gave and tweak it to say, going from HawX to DCS A-10 would not mean you'd be even remotely OK in DCS.

The simple fact is that playing as infantry is not that hard, at least for the very basics, its WASD, point and shoot, it really cant get more mechanically complex or simple than that. Other aspects of this game can, and in my opinion be more complex and that is what I am to achieve.

Also, people need to remember that beyond infantry, these are things that you will probably never get to do in your real life, lest you sign your name on a dotted line and put in some time in a real military. It is not like I can go down to the gun range and be like "yok, can I take a 155mm self-propelled howitzer out for a spin?" Simulators are as close as most people are going to get to these systems, so might as well try and make them authentic.

Edited by NouberNou

Exactly Nouber, and you can tell with his comment he's never tried the M109A6. I've been practicing with it since its been released and I still need more training. Its tough to get right but when you do its so powerful :D

Ever since I got this game I've been disappointed. The way I see it now, the ArmA community is becoming divided. Every night I get on this game and throw my own missions up on my server and no one joins out of the whole night. .

Instead of going after everyone else for not doing what you like, perhaps you should try to do a better job at promoting your own server. You created this whole long thread and you have your system specs in your sig instead of any links to your server or website.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Myke;1985588'][OT]

Hey' date=' as you know, american football isn't that popular in europe like, let's say, soccer. I mean, everyone loves soccer, be it playing or only watching it. It is really a big business where they count in billions$, while football is just a niche sport over here. So i had some thoughts how to make it more popular so more would like to play and watch it.

[/OT']

The problem with both sports is that it's just a friggin' game and yet they take it way too seriously. You have mandatory trainings that you can't miss, you have to say "Yes, coach. Right away coach!" to some fat guy who never played in years and you have to take a knee for the rest of the game for every infraction. Why can't we see more open football games, where anyone can just walk up and play the role of quarterback or goalie? What do they think this is? ArmA 2?

Edited by Haviv[3rdID]

Just had a really big LOL about this one:

Then i saw this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=122306

If you want to come play just "pm" me or AVIBIRD 1 and we will send you the teamspeak/server info.

Sooo...you want to have open rooms/servers but i would have to PM you or your mate about TS/Server info? Now that's what i call "open".

@Haviv

Let a pro team face a team os some random guys on the field, what do you think who will win? And what do you think why they will win? It is a game, like every game it has a goal, the goal is to win.

It's more fun to win. :)

It's just like everything else. If you want to pull off something that is really cool, you have to work on it. If you want to play piano and don't want to practice, you'll only get to play silly stuff like "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" while everyone else is playing Chopin and Rachmaninoff.

@Haviv

agree completely. If you're playing competitive games, you can only win if you're better than the other team/players. If you play cooperative, it also works best if all players have a similar level which means that some players have to practice to reach the level of superior players. However, at the very end you have to practice as "there is always a bigger fish". :D

Ever since I got this game I've been disappointed. The way I see it now, the ArmA community is becoming divided. Every night I get on this game and throw my own missions up on my server and no one joins out of the whole night. One thing that has me upset is all the clans, they require you to do bullshit like have set training times and make you say "yes sir!" over a fucking VIDEO GAME. Get a life seriously! Secondly 99% of the public servers have either Domination, or Warfare running which to me gets boring very fast. What ever happened to the good old days of OFP where you had people with open servers making fun user-made co-op missions, and people actually came in and played them? It seems now you either have to join a clan or be forced to go play domination or warfare. The other thing is the players who ARE actually making co-op missions are all locking their servers cause of cheaters or modders that will go in and cause shit. It's very frustrating for people like me who like to make/play user made co-op missions then come on and see no one to play with us. I even come on the forums and post a thread asking people to come play, and out of the thousands of forum viewers, only 2 want to come play. That's just my 2 cents of whats happening with the community.

I might be a bit late on this but if you are interested in the type of gameplay like we used to do (and still do) in ofp you are welcome to come give our server a try. We are very open to the public, we play multiplayer coop. No Domination or Warfare. We are a vet server, no crosshairs, no respawn and no muppets. You will have to download some mods but all are set up on the Six Updater. Search for LOL or Majors (our server is LOL Majors). We also have all of the mods in one big addon pack that you can get out of our download section if you don't want to use Six Updater, the file structure is the same. It is not always busy but when it is we have some very nice laid back games. We make most of our own missions. Everyone is welcome and if you are new we really try to help you get set up and going. You can check our website for more information, www.nakedsquid.com. There is a full very easy to follow tutorial on installing and using Six Updater and Teamspeak 3 information. You can pop in anytime on TS when we are on and we can help you set up. So don't be shy come on in.

Hope to see you and others there if you are looking for some good old fashioned Co-op gaming (just like the old OFP Days)

Edited by Muerte LOL

Myke;1986402']Just had a really big LOL about this one:

Then i saw this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=122306

Sooo...you want to have open rooms/servers but i would have to PM you or your mate about TS/Server info? Now that's what i call "open".

@Haviv

Let a pro team face a team os some random guys on the field' date=' what do you think who will win? And what do you think why they will win? It is a game, like every game it has a goal, the goal is to win.[/quote']

Myke, you know for an older guy you really are a JACKASS, and think you know it all. First of all, we have our own server run off our computers that is OPEN whenever we are on, YOU DUMBASS. Secondly, yes I would like to receive a 'pm' from people regarding the TeamSpeak/Server seeing how I don't want to post the info so jackasses like you will join to start shit. The server is open to whoever wants to jump in. So I suggest you stop talking shit because you dont know anything.

Im done with this post and all of you. BYE.

Myke, you know for an older guy you really are a JACKASS, and think you know it all. First of all, we have our own server run off our computers that is OPEN whenever we are on, YOU DUMBASS. Secondly, yes I would like to receive a 'pm' from people regarding the TeamSpeak/Server seeing how I don't want to post the info so jackasses like you will join to start shit. The server is open to whoever wants to jump in. So I suggest you stop talking shit because you dont know anything.

Kudos for keeping your cool, theres no need to badmouth people because of their opinion, reguardless of how well educated the opinion is.

There are many clans out there that do infact have their server details publicly available and actively encourage people to join off their own back, rather than having to pm someone for the details.

If Myke ever actually graced your teamspeak with his pressence, you should be thrilled. He hasnt spoken about any shit whilst in this thread, but merely stated the obvious.

Wow...

What's the name of the server? Just so we know which one to avoid at all costs... :rolleyes:

Wow - so many RAGE topics these days , what's wrong with these guys? :icon_rolleyes:

Simple - few people just want to have their kind of fun playing A2OA but can't find more players in their timezone and/or with the same mindset. Result - they are going ballistic and cry about everything and anyone who is not on their side. Maybe just overhelmed by the possibilities/features and how people can choose and use them how they like. Freedom of sandbox games... :cool:

Simple - few people just want to have their kind of fun playing A2OA but can't find more players in their timezone and/or with the same mindset. Result - they are going ballistic and cry about everything and anyone who is not on their side. Maybe just overhelmed by the possibilities/features and how people can choose and use them how they like. Freedom of sandbox games... :cool:

The funny bit is that I gave the dude 3 examples of open servers that play coop almost every day (with one having 40+ people every evening), have their TS/server info publicly available and yet he still rages about the community being not up to his standards