Sign in to follow this  
SSgt Decker

What is wrong with the ARMA Community!

Ever since I got this game I've been disappointed. The way I see it now, the ArmA community is becoming divided. Every night I get on this game and throw my own missions up on my server and no one joins out of the whole night. One thing that has me upset is all the clans, they require you to do bullshit like have set training times and make you say "yes sir!" over a fucking VIDEO GAME. Get a life seriously! Secondly 99% of the public servers have either Domination, or Warfare running which to me gets boring very fast. What ever happened to the good old days of OFP where you had people with open servers making fun user-made co-op missions, and people actually came in and played them? It seems now you either have to join a clan or be forced to go play domination or warfare. The other thing is the players who ARE actually making co-op missions are all locking their servers cause of cheaters or modders that will go in and cause shit. It's very frustrating for people like me who like to make/play user made co-op missions then come on and see no one to play with us. I even come on the forums and post a thread asking people to come play, and out of the thousands of forum viewers, only 2 want to come play. That's just my 2 cents of whats happening with the community.

Cheating, join in progress, rising server maintenance costs and a general shift in the community's view towards MP happened.

And the ARMA community is not only the people you find playing MP. They are the people here, at OFPEC, at Armaholic, at ArmedAssault.info, and many other community websites and forums around the internet, all sharing their knowledge, helping one another and producing amazing content every day.

I highly recommend you to join a squad. You will have so much more fun when you find a squad that suits your style of playing. There are squads who play without that Training and yes sir stuff

Jake, I know exactly what you are talking about and I feel with you. However there are solutions to this. First of all there is a social group for "casual gamers" which you could join and definetly find people for multiplayer sessions the relaxed way.

Furthermore this forum has a lot to offer if you search it the right way. There are various threads on clans that regularly host sessions that are meant to entertain you and rather less serious.

The server browser itself alone doesnt help anymore. It will take you too much time just trying.

I mean look at these guys from the forums, this is a fresh video from a few days ago and they still seem to have a very damn great time playing their very own style. ;)

znswnxepGdk

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

Number one its not so much the mission type but the number of players on the server. If you only have 1 guy whats the incentive to join. Secondly there are a bunch of communities out there that don't require the yes sir stuff. We dont for one even though we do have a rank system in place (the only time rank really counts is once a week during our official ops).

The reason why allot of communities have required days is because they have complicated training schedules or operations that have been specially designed that include triggers and scripts which can take hours upon hours to create, so they want to make sure that there will be people to play it. As for your missions if you want people to play them try releasing it on the forums :)

Anyways good luck in your search and i hope you find a suitable community.

|-215-| Maj. Chuhinka

Edited by TaskForce215

Cheating, join in progress, rising server maintenance costs and a general shift in the community's view towards MP happened.

And the ARMA community is not only the people you find playing MP. They are the people here, at OFPEC, at Armaholic, at ArmedAssault.info, and many other community websites and forums around the internet, all sharing their knowledge, helping one another and producing amazing content every day.

You hit the nail on the fucking head!

1. Cheating was around with OFP and will always be around in any VIDEO GAME but it is out of control for a player who opens a room. Bohemia needs to put somthing in place to help the player who does not have a Dedicated Server to help limited it.

2. Join in progress is a great thing but it hurts the community in many ways.

Players just jump from Server to Server looking for some fast action. It prevents random players just talking waitiing for the next round/mission to make friendships. This is what build/made great rooms back in the day.

3. General shift in the community's views. This is a big understatment! UNLIMITED LIVE, VECHICALS RESPAWN EVER 300 SECONDS OR LESS, EVERY WEAPON AVAILABLE AT THE START, REVIVALS WTF. THE LIST CAN GO ON AND ON!

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Number one its not so much the mission type but the number of players on the server. If you only have 1 guy whats the incentive to join. Secondly there are a bunch of communities out there that don't require the yes sir stuff. We dont for one even though we do have a rank system in place (the only time rank really counts is once a week during our official ops).

The reason why allot of communities have required days is because they have complicated training schedules or operations that have been specially designed that include triggers and scripts which can take hours upon hours to create, so they want to make sure that there will be people to play it. As for your missions if you want people to play them try releasing it on the forums :)

Anyways good luck in your search and i hope you find a suitable community.

|-215-| Maj. Chuhinka

wow that is funny! look what you wrote. it's a VIDEO GAME "complicated training schedules" "we do have a rank system in place" "once a week during our official ops" LOl:cool:

wow that is funny! look what you wrote. it's a VIDEO GAME "complicated training schedules" "we do have a rank system in place" "once a week during our official ops" LOl:cool:

My point was that in some communities put allot of work into planning a training mission or map. I was simply trying to explain the rationality behind having required days. Nothing is wrong with the community you just have to know what you are looking for and where to find it :)

Ps. Without set times communities would never be able to get the numbers online they need to play a mission. I have seen up to 60 players on one mission back when i was with Operation Reality.

And yes we all know its a video game but for some of us its a hobby :)

@Jake34

I also know of a great community with a very lose rank system and as far as i know without set times.The only problem is that they play PVP. If your interested Filter for c5 they are a great group of guys and im sure you wont be disappointed.

Edited by TaskForce215

One thing that has me upset is all the clans, they require you to do bullshit like have set training times and make you say "yes sir!" over a fucking VIDEO GAME.

I take it you were press-ganged into playing with these clans? Don't knock them for what they've put a lot of time and enthusiasm into.

There's a squad that suits you perfectly, you just have to shop around. There's enough of them these days and they all play at different levels. Don't get too pissed if they're not your style, move on till you find the right one.

It's just a game?

Different Clans/Squads are organised differently. We play weekly on tuesday and thursday evening. Not a training (although this might happen aswell if asked for) but a nice online gaming session with friends. We pay a monthly fee to pay our rented server. When playing we try to find a balance between fun and seriosity: when the heat is goin, everyone knows what he has to do, inbetween there is always time for some jokes and chitchat.

I mean, there are many Clans/Squads out there, some of them try to be as realistic as possible within a game, some other just exist to have some friends to play with. Look around, chose what fits best and you're good to go.

Jake, I know exactly what you are talking about and I feel with you. However there are solutions to this. First of all there is a social group for "casual gamers" which you could join and definetly find people for multiplayer sessions the relaxed way.

Furthermore this forum has a lot to offer if you search it the right way. There are various threads on clans that regularly host sessions that are meant to entertain you and rather less serious.

The server browser itself alone doesnt help anymore. It will take you too much time just trying.

I mean look at these guys from the forums, this is a fresh video from a few days ago and they still seem to have a very damn great time.

LOL,LOL,LOL that is a very funny video but I know for a fact jake does not want to play like that. 90% of the time!

My point was that in some communities put allot of work into planning a training mission or map. I was simply trying to explain the rationality behind having required days. Nothing is wrong with the community you just have to know what you are looking for and where to find it :)

Ps. Without set times communities would never be able to get the numbers online they need to play a mission. I have seen up to 60 players on one mission back when i was with Operation Reality.

And yes we all know its a video game but for some of us its a hobby :)

@Jake34

I also know of a great community with a very lose rank system and as far as i know without set times.The only problem is that they play PVP. If your interested Filter for c5 they are a great group of guys and im sure you wont be disappointed.

Hey mate I am not telling you how to play. What makes ARMA WORLD so great is the game can be anything for anyone. Fuck people still play LIFE. How long have you played. Did you play OFP. The whole point is the community is not the same, most missions are not the same and public rooms are gone for player made missions with good players all on the same page.

Jake is not into the whole player vs player thing and the whole player vs player sections of this community is dead or on life support that is ready to be pulled.

Myke;1984430']It's just a game?

Different Clans/Squads are organised differently. We play weekly on tuesday and thursday evening. Not a training (although this might happen aswell if asked for) but a nice online gaming session with friends. We pay a monthly fee to pay our rented server. When playing we try to find a balance between fun and seriosity: when the heat is goin' date=' everyone knows what he has to do, inbetween there is always time for some jokes and chitchat.

I mean, there are many Clans/Squads out there, some of them try to be as realistic as possible within a game, some other just exist to have some friends to play with. Look around, chose what fits best and you're good to go.[/quote']

Sounds good maybe we will check it out! What missions do you guys play. Player made missions or domination/warfare ect.

playing this game with respawns of armor units and unlimited lifes takes away from the game play for us.

Edited by Foxhound
do not quote videos!!

More people from the military / with military preference play the game nowadays. That's "all".

More people from the military / with military preference play the game nowadays. That's "all".

Being the service, the utmost idea you can think about is going home. I don't understand how someone would want to come home to go through it all again. (About the hardass clans...)

Edited by Nicholas

what annoyed the hell out of me was when i would join a warfare match and all of the vehicles (and weapons) had ridiculous rank limitations (it wouldnt be so bad if it didnt take forever just to be able to drive a humvee), i get that its to prevent people from flying and leaving vehicles everywhere, but its kind of annoying when you cant take a town because no one has a high enough rank to fly or drive a tank, or when the only option to get to an objective is to halo and hope that you dont die upon landing

i highly recommend you to join a squad. You will have so much more fun when you find a squad that suits your style of playing. There are squads who play without that training and yes sir stuff

qft :)

Lol the only problem i see with the community is when i join a domi match and all the helicopters are gone and abandoned in the field somewhere:)

I thought about coding a script/website where users can create coop/pvp events (like "I'm playing at 8:00 pm this mission, who wants to join me?"). Users could post there date, time, mission, server, language, all the required stuff (mods, teamspeak) and if they need it, other users could reserve a spot or get in a waiting list if all spots are reserved.

Such script could really help to find easily coop players. Maybe I will code it somedays, I don't know... I'm very lazy. :D

It's also a readily available military simulator.

People with military passion (that I don't expect you to understand) or ambition to join the military use it for just that. Doesn't the gameplay speak for itself? It's unlike any other first person shooter on the market.

Edited by hungrytoheal

@AVIBIRD1

sorry mate, we're a german speaking squad. It was only meant as an example as i really doubt it we're the only squad that plays that way. Respawn is limited but with relatively high limit but we also have revive active which is always the option to prefer. respawn is just for Situations where revive isn't possible anymore.

Vehicles usually don't have respawn unless some might be needed to advance in the missions but there it limits mostly to transportation vehicles, not fighting vehicles.

One thing that has me upset is all the clans, they require you to do bullshit like have set training times and make you say "yes sir!" over a fucking VIDEO GAME. Get a life seriously!

I agree. Let's judge all clans by one or two bad examples

It seems now you either have to join a clan or be forced to go play domination or warfare.

6thsense.eu

unitedoperations.net

Open communities that mostly play tactical coops. Obviously it can get disorganized with too many people (UO can easily have 50+ people playing COOP at once) due to them being public-servers-with-password but still quite good.

ciahome.net

If you want to play more focused tactical coop with less people this one is a good candidate. No need to join as well.

Edited by metalcraze

I think we can all agree that the main thing we want is "tactical teamplay". And there starts the problem, especially when playing with people you don't know already really well. So you have a bunch of people with varying experience, varying background (some might actually have real military experience, others not at all) and a lot of more unknown variables.

Now to successfully play as a team, it is necessary to have a certain discipline (not meaning the "yes, sir" thingy) which usually comes with a certain amount of training. How do i move in the group, what do i look for, how do i communicate via TS, how do i report contacts and so on. Since i play in a closed group i see these issues when a new member joins our group. Often his first enemy report sounds like this: "there is someone, right over there!". That is exactly what i hear over TS. Now try to spot the outcalled "someone" based on this. ;)

And here is the point where training kicks in. It teaches people "how do i and how not" so everyone can have a good experience when playing together.

Now, some clans insist of the "yes, sir" philosophy, others don't. It is just a matter of finding the clan/squad/group that fit with your personal style. Nothings wrong with the one or the other style.

But one thing should be clear: if you plan to play regulary with the (more or less) same bunch of people, a little training is unavoidable, just to have the same standard though all players.

One thing that has me upset is all the clans, they require you to do bullshit like have set training times and make you say "yes sir!" over a fucking VIDEO GAME. Get a life seriously!

You aren't speaking about clans, you're speaking about realism units. Clans/Communities are generally more laid back in that sense. Here's my definition of each:

Clan: Smaller group of more tight-nit gamers who are generally all fairly well skilled in whatever game they play. They usually have aspirations to compete in the said game and they usually only play 1 - 3 different games. Clans will most likely have some sort of leadership structure (probably having the people that are high up being original members or people that maintain the servers). Most commonly, you'll find "Clans" in Call of Duty, Counter Strike, etc.

Community: Larger groups of people in which some people in the community might not even know some of the other players in the community. Communities generally have a variety of skill levels found between their members, but rarely will a community not accept somebody because they aren't good at the game. Communities will usually play a multitude of games. Communities will most likely have some sort of leadership structure (probably having the people that are high up being original members or people that maintain the servers).

Realism Unit: Small to Large size groups of players who wish to follow a more tactical based structure. Some even have military rankings in which they have to obey and follow. Realism Units will often hold organized play times rather than public-oriented gameplay. Realism Units are most commonly found in simulator-esque games.

they require you to do bullshit like have set training times and make you say "yes sir!" over a fucking VIDEO GAME. Get a life seriously!

Obviously its not for you, its not for everyone, but its not about just a video game.

A couple years back i lead a WW2 Realism unit I had roughly 25+ guys, and on average 15-20 active.

Being organised and having discipline is important in a unit, as the type of matches, and tournments really

called Campaigns were only one life, there was no respawn.

Everyone had ranks, and there was a certain order to things and it was really based off of how an actual

military unit did things, we had regular training, and training was important, and the reason being is being in a

1 life realism match or even campaign you had to know things, for the unit and for your own sake.

Its almost like a real war, no one wants to get killed, and yet they dont want an idiot that will risk their own life and or their squads, so it

was important to have a certain discipline for simulation purposes, as well as train, and practice to know what your doing and be relativley

good at it, because not knowing and not being fairly proficient meant that you came closer to dieing sooner.

It takes quite a bit to think your way out of a situation when you only have one life,

especially when theres no 3rd person view, and crosshairs.

Game we played was Red orchestra btw quite a few guys int he forums here are familier with it.

Everyone that was in the unit was there on their own volition, they liked the thrill of 1 life, and we trained for it,

it was a patience game but there was alot of tactics and strategic planning involved.

Getting killed when you only had 1 life was the end of your play time, and for some people prob think that sucks

but until you have been there its a whole nother level of playing.

You might be best to hook up with a clan, clans can be fun, a great way to meet alot of new people, and make

alot of friends, comradery in the clans is ausome, clans do alot of reg pubbing, and some do matches and go to tournaments too.

All depends on how you want to play your game.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

It's also a readily available military simulator.

People with military passion (that I don't expect you to understand) or ambition to join the military use it for just that. Doesn't the gameplay speak for itself? It's unlike any other first person shooter on the market.

Well, first this is not a simulator. It's a VIDEO GAME that is the bottom line. Yes it's the best game on the market hands down but still a game. I don't expect you to understand this because in your world you want this to be a simulator so be it but it's.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Myke;1984707']@AVIBIRD1

sorry mate' date=' we're a german speaking squad. It was only meant as an example as i really doubt it we're the only squad that plays that way. Respawn is limited but with relatively high limit but we also have revive active which is always the option to prefer. respawn is just for Situations where revive isn't possible anymore.

Vehicles usually don't have respawn unless some might be needed to advance in the missions but there it limits mostly to transportation vehicles, not fighting vehicles.[/quote']

Yes I know, Jake and I was playing with a group of germans a few days ago who all play like us but it's very hard to find players like this in this community. I know players like this is out there but most players/servers play respawns and domination/warfare missions. You have clans with open rooms playing domination with Vehicles respawns and revives but when you join you are not allow to use most of the vehicles WTF it's an open domination mission with respawns so who cares. I can see if it's a user made mission with only a few vehicles and no respawn lifes/revives.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

I agree. Let's judge all clans by one or two bad examples

6thsense.eu

unitedoperations.net

Open communities that mostly play tactical coops. Obviously it can get disorganized with too many people (UO can easily have 50+ people playing COOP at once) due to them being public-servers-with-password but still quite good.

ciahome.net

If you want to play more focused tactical coop with less people this one is a good candidate. No need to join as well.

Jake and I we give it a look! DO you guys play user made missions or domination. Domination is ok if you play the Original that has limited Vehicles and lifes.