Sign in to follow this  
lozz08

The hip fire reticle should go

More weapon sway when not using optics might help

I for one think this solution should be considered seriously.

Greater sway when unsighted could grant sights its much needed, proper advantage.

My only concern is that the crosshair/command-circle currently follows the weapon 1:1 when exhausted/injured, and that can be problematic already. Trying to select units or order them around can be quite difficult when the cursor is all over the place. And greater sway would only make it worse.

The solution I think is to let the weapon deviate from the crosshair.

Trying to select units or order them around can be quite difficult when the cursor is all over the place. And greater sway would only make it worse.

A good point (pun intended ;)).

I think that a solution to this would be to separate the weapon aim from the command aim. When commanding, the left hand should separate from the weapon and point, and that pointing should have sway removed.

i hope you dont forget that you have more control over the weapon if you shooting from your hip--- but you cant realy aim

its cause the recoil point is on a better controlable place..

that means a "bonus" is not everytime given the "bonus" in Reallife is you have optics and you dont have a sway showing HUD.

my reference is a MG3

the bipod is another thing thats important to a MG...

the game will be great if you can place the weapon against the wall to get the weapon more accurate. but you have to make it that you can always shoot above the wall.

that mean you can bipod your weapon an house walls and ground walls

we need a system where you can turn the weapon around the bipod(bipod as turnpoint, eg on walls) and a way where you move the bipod (player as Turnpoint, eg on ground to turn faster)

Hi all

Just the same as the iron sights/optics the arcade cross hair is zeroed! It is inherent in the fact that ArmA is a game with ballistics rather than laser beams coming out from between your eyes as with all other arcade FPS. So while it may be accurate at a certain range, it is only at that range! And as others have pointed out the optics and iron sights have reference points for shooting at none zeroed ranges, unlike the arcade cross hairs.

Flexibility is what makes ArmA great.

I personally do not like any arcade features but I can turn them off in SP and only play on MP servers where they are turned off if I want to. I can also call for the arcade functions to be turned off on those servers I want to or like to play on by agitating for it in their community.

But despite my dislike of arcade features I will defend to the death the right of those who want such features available for the servers they play on and for their own machines in SP.

It is down to the communities we play on to decide what MP arcade features we have on their servers and it is down to the customer who has the game to decide what functions they turn on on their machine in SP.

It is not reasonable to call for the devs to change their long term attitude of pro flexibility so as to dictate how an individual should play the game.

I came to ArmA precisely because it is a flexible sandbox.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I personaly do not like any arcade features but I can turn them off in SP and only play on MP servers where they are turned off if I want to.

On a related but slightly off-topic side note, I would love to see some kind of "hardcore" designation for servers, so that you can filter the MP list for ones that disallow 3rd person view and crosshairs.

separate the weapon aim from the command aim

I would opt for that if the unsighted-sway idea wasn't addopted, just to fix commanding.

However I find fighting a bouncing crosshair for shooting is odd as well.

I'd rather have a crosshair that doesn't bounce at all.

The crosshair should point where I want to aim, not where the weapon aims. I hope the difference is clear enough.

While we're at it, the zoom_in (holding right mouse on default) without iron sights should go. Zoom should be something only possible when you have some scope on your weapon, period.

'Concentration mode' zoom of about 10% - might be a good idea, but as it is now i can zoom in far too much even without any scopes.

And i agree, the 'nozzle cursor' should go, just keep the fixed outer crosshair. If you're out of breath or hurt you need to use iron sights for medium distance shots.

There are GUI changes that can control the amount of RMB zoom you get. Of course I can't remember off the top of my head who wrote it !

I actually think the nozzle cursor is great. It is the centre line that needs to disappear.

We already have the nozzle increasing in size due to wounding/tiredness so there is no problem.

I'll start the SOS campaign .... Save Our Sights - leave my nozzle alone!

)rStrangelove;1983868']While we're at it' date=' the zoom_in (holding right mouse on default) without iron sights should go.[/quote']

Aw, this again. You do appreciate why this feature exists, right?

)rStrangelove;1983868']While we're at it' date=' the zoom_in (holding right mouse on default) without iron sights should go. Zoom should be something only possible when you have some scope on your weapon, period.

'Concentration mode' zoom of about 10% - might be a good idea, but as it is now i can zoom in far too much even without any scopes.

[/quote']

As has been said so many times, the human eye has better resolution that your monitor.

There is a very good reason most shooters feature combat at point-blank range. You need a scope to hit anything 100m away when a view optimized for avatar control.

No zoom would also make the game unplayable on lower settings.

Think of it this way: you spend most of your time in game zoomed out. When you hold your right mouse button, you see distant objects at the same size as you would in real life. Obviously this narrow, true scale view wouldn't be ideal for moving your avatar around, so BIS leave it zoomed out until you need it.

No zoom would also make the game unplayable on lower settings.

See, thats my point. Use a small zoom as sort of a 'concentration mode' while not looking through a scope would be OK. Using the same zoom as the scope does is NOT.

)rStrangelove;1983880']See' date=' thats my point. Use a small zoom as sort of a 'concentration mode' while not looking through a scope would be OK. Using the same zoom as the scope does is NOT.[/quote']

Player view zoom is a fixed value. It's not the same as the scope.

)rStrangelove;1983880']See' date=' thats my point. Use a small zoom as sort of a 'concentration mode' while not looking through a scope would be OK. Using the same zoom as the scope does is NOT.[/quote']

The idea that Daniel tried to convey is that "zoomed" mode is not in fact zoom, it's 1:1. It's the "unzoomed" mode that's the "unrealistic" mode.

As such, looking through a sight (as I assume you mean, and not scope) is done in the same 1:1 mode as "zoomed".

Player view zoom is a fixed value. It's not the same as the scope.

I can zoom in as far as a scope does on my PC. I shall upload some pics when i'm home. (either that or i have an addon installed which changed zoom settings without me being aware of it lol)

)rStrangelove;1983885']I can zoom in as far as a scope does on my PC. I shall upload some pics when i'm home. (either that or i have an addon installed which changed zoom settings without me being aware of it lol)

That's weird. If I have a sniper rifle in hand I'm pretty sure my normal view zoom stays the same. :confused:

I find that using non-scope sights is a way faster and more accurate way of lining up shots than using the crosshair.

)rStrangelove;1983885']I can zoom in as far as a scope does on my PC. I shall upload some pics when i'm home. (either that or i have an addon installed which changed zoom settings without me being aware of it lol)

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with your game.

Just stand a guy up near the Utes control tower and aim at him from 100m away. Use an ACOG, which is the unzoomiest scope in the game, and compare with the eye zoom. He's like twice as tall in the scoped view.

I would opt for that if the unsighted-sway idea wasn't addopted, just to fix commanding.

However I find fighting a bouncing crosshair for shooting is odd as well.

The crosshair should point where I want to aim, not where the weapon aims. I hope the difference is clear enough.

IMO command cursor should be disconnected from the weapon muzzle (which I believe it is). So increasing weapon sway (muzzle moving, not your cursor) wouldn't be a problem.

I fear either your point is not clear, or your reasoning is a little off. The crosshair should reflect the weapon aimpoint of course. Otherwise you seem to be advocating a cone of dispersal, which would be a much worse solution IMO.

I fear either your point is not clear, or your reasoning is a little off. The crosshair should reflect the weapon aimpoint of course. Otherwise you seem to be advocating a cone of dispersal, which would be a much worse solution IMO.

No, his meaning (which I sort of agree with) was that the cursor should show your desired aimpoint which the true aimpoint of the weapon seeks but is hidden. The true aimpoint would also not perfectly align with your desired aimpoint (given additional weapon sway is implemented). Dispersion has nothing to do with it.

No, his meaning (which I sort of agree with) was that the cursor should show your desired aimpoint which the true aimpoint of the weapon seeks but is hidden. The true aimpoint would also not perfectly align with your desired aimpoint (given additional weapon sway is implemented). Dispersion has nothing to do with it.

Well, cursor yes, crosshair no. I took crosshair to mean sighted crosshair. But I can take the point if the meaning was cursor.

I think the centre dot that points out exactly where the gun is pointing should be removed. The outer part that shows approximately where you'e aiming should stay.

That way you still have a useful crosshair that gives you a sense of where your weapon is pointing, while you need your sights for better accuracy.

This.

Getting rid of the center pip does wonders for weapon handling and feel while still retaining the basic capabilities. Additionally I distinctly recall seeing early screens of Arma2 where it was gone from many weapons.

-k

There's no crosshair system on a rifle, but virtual front and rear sights align together into a target.

Wasn't crosshair is a cross, or a target designator which is "Point it = aim at it" at all times?