Sign in to follow this  
4 IN 1

Kerbal Space Program ....the final frontier......

Missed the Apollo program? Now its you chance to recapture the sprite of the challenge (or foolhardy) of sending a man into space and eventurely to take the voyage from the earth to the moon - without killing the lads at the pointy bit of the business end - with this little game.;)

The game is still in very early beta and are still free to play, the developer said that the beta will remain F2P after the retail version is put on sell, and modding is already possible in current version as well, so if you get tired on shooting up people on the interweb, shooting stickman out into orbit might be a nice change of pace.:D

here is an article from rock paper shotgun

WtNaCCK-slc

Edited by Dwarden
descriptive thread name

Great fun, thanks for sharing :D

edit: :thumb_down:

th_burnsbooster7.jpg

Edited by Mr Burns

This is amazing.

It seems that simple rockets are the best though, my huge creations usually explode around take-off, while my simple 4 stage rocket (Well, 8 stages according to the game, but i added some extra to detach some things at my own pace) is currently over 500000m away from the planet and is slowly decelerating (Currently 1700m/s). :D

EDIT: Over 700000 now, i am afraid they will never return to their home planet. :D

Is there a way to unlock more parts for building?

LOVE IT! :) This is so going on my PC at work.

Its a shame this is so "kiddish". I mean i could actually get into something a bit more serious, like a SIM NASA or something. Have to develop tech and really start from scratch. Try and get from Mercury program right up to whatever you want landing on Mars, FLT travel. Obvisouly the tech would be made up for future stuff, but it would be cool.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

Is there a way to unlock more parts for building?

LOVE IT! :) This is so going on my PC at work.

Its a shame this is so "kiddish". I mean i could actually get into something a bit more serious, like a SIM NASA or something. Have to develop tech and really start from scratch. Try and get from Mercury program right up to whatever you want landing on Mars, FLT travel. Obvisouly the tech would be made up for future stuff, but it would be cool.

All the extra parts you see from videos is from mods, mind you through, these aft-market non-standard parts tent to blow up mid flight(or even before leaving the launch pad :p)

With that said, the Launch Escape System in one of the mod is the most useful stuff:D

Edited by 4 IN 1

The farthest ive gotten was around 30,000 feet. Very cool game. This was mentioned already but I too wish it was more serious. Wtf is up with the astronauts? Look like deformed alien things.

Reminds me of Orbiter.

This is orbiter:

apollo8andearth.jpg

(screenshot taken by me)

The farthest ive gotten was around 30,000 feet. Very cool game. This was mentioned already but I too wish it was more serious. Wtf is up with the astronauts? Look like deformed alien things.

They ARE Aliens!!!! FPDR

Really, this game are about the fun of building a rocket and shoot stuff up into space, not for switch fliping pressing happy space geek to complain about how unrealistic the flight model is...FPDR

Edited by 4 IN 1

Fun game.

Just wish I could make my creations a bit more rigid: I've got a rocket with 9 liquid fueled engines on the launch phase but they wobble around like crazy until I'm able to kick in the 12 solid fueled boosters in my second phase and straighten things up.

400km is my record; but the command module was still gaining height at about 1km/s when I quit, with no chance of losing momentum in the vacuum of space. :D

Anyone maganged to orbit around the planet already? I think i am currently in a rather huge elliptical orbit, but i am not sure if i can run the game for another few hours to check. :p

I also have a bit of fuel left so i may be able to return home.

EDIT: Decided to land, i was afraid my poor astronauts would fly off into space once again.

The atmospherical effects are quite nice.

spacew.th.jpg

Edited by NeMeSiS

Thanks for posting this. I'm really enjoying it.

So far the furthest I've gotten away is 291 or 2910 km (I don't know if that last number is supposed to be a decimal or not). The problem is, I wasn't expecting the ship to make it into space and now my boys have no fuel to get back home. Luckily their decreasing speed at about 1 m/s/km so they may eventually got pulled back in. I don't want to turn it off now because I want to learn their fate.

EDIT: Good news. The ship began drifting back towards the planet. Had I stayed up all night they would've made it but I decided that I don't want to so I'm just saying that they did.

Does anyone else get lag when they use multiple fuel cells for the same engines. I have 3 liquid engines with 3 fuel tanks each and it lags once the first tank goes dry. Doesn't matter if I shut the engines off either.

Edited by Jakerod

the most challenging thing to do currently is to get into a proper orbit and still leave enough fuel to get into reentry.

funny thing to notice is that even through "Kearth" is only about some 900KM in radius, it have the gravitation pull of 0.98 G's like the human earth have, god knows if Kearth is actually a black dwarf in far future:p

Someone punch in the numbers for the possible speed and ALT for a complete orbit:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tutorial:Orbiting

https://gist.github.com/1075144

Edited by 4 IN 1

Thanks for posting 4-in-1

.... grab the Sunday Punch addons, adds LOTS of content to play with.

n5Xcq.jpg

Oops ..... what happens when the solid boosters explode!

XL9n0.jpg

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Gnat, that's almost identical to the rocket I built! I also found the boosters would collide with the main engine when decoupling. One solution is to use a five-way splitter and add five single engines to the main fuel tank.

Now we just need a moon to land on.

I think I just launched these poor guys into outer space. I was able to build a rocket that took me 1 million meters in altitude in 8 minutes... Now they are 1600 km in altitude after 11 minutes and they are still travelling away at 3500 m/s.

At least Jebediah seems psyched.

Yeah. Now they are 3500 km away and still going at 3300 m/s. I think that's a fate worse than death.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun trying to make an orbiter.

Edited by Max Power

Thanks for the link 4 in 1, this game is awesome!

Yesterday my brother and I played it for hours, LOLing when rocket explodes due to poor design etc.

And those faces in the lower right corner are so funny.

I'm of to check out that Sunday Punch addon.

Gnat, that's almost identical to the rocket I built! I also found the boosters would collide with the main engine when decoupling. One solution is to use a five-way splitter and add five single engines to the main fuel tank.

Now we just need a moon to land on.

Couldn't agree more. :)