Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumWarrior

ArmA 3 Editor

I hope the 2D Editor is still there. It's nice having a top-down view on the map.

+1 on this.

It feels like most of the things im doing in the editor would be easier and faster with the old 2D editor.

I hope the 2D Editor is still there. It's nice having a top-down view on the map.

I'm pretty sure this is the plan, I don't think they want to make every aspect of their campaign missions in 3d either.

3D editing is an extension to 2D map in most editors, so I dont think they would scrap what we know. Usual editing 2D then jump to 3D for testing and better placement control.

Should I say this... I have not bothered to play the game (Arma2), its just the Editor thats of interest to me. So providing Arma3 has the great Editor its got now or even better then I'm happy.

Easily pleased you see...

Well positioning units in 3D will give us some great abilities. Setting up ambushes in urban areas with AI will be fantastic! Also seeing the area for an IED etc will be awesome. The 2D though would be faster when creating your missions, then fine-tuning stuff with the 3D would be great for that extra detail.

Also, If it's going to be like the editor is now, will we get some sort of live 3d preview without having to load it up then like we do now? I'm thinking since it's already in 3d, then surely pressing preview isn't necessary any more. RTE's got some sort of rewind feature if I remember correctly, so if it's possible in A2 then would that be good in A3? I honestly don't know if it would be better to actually have a preview button like we do now or just viewing it in the same 3d editor.

On top of that, what about a real time editor? I got a feeling this wouldn't be included in A3, but would sure be nice since VBS had it back on the old engine.

3d editor would be awesome. 2d is ok for speed but 3d adds accuracy. Hoepfully it's easy to switch directly from one to the other - heck the 2d could simply be a satelite view of the 3d landscape.

I think the perfect scenario would be to kinda use the Google Maps thing where when you're zoomed out its a 2D map, but once you zoom in a certain amount it becomes a 3D view of the area you were looking at.

Well positioning units in 3D will give us some great abilities. Setting up ambushes in urban areas with AI will be fantastic! Also seeing the area for an IED etc will be awesome. The 2D though would be faster when creating your missions, then fine-tuning stuff with the 3D would be great for that extra detail.

For sure. Placing units/vehicles on ships & inside buildings would be greatly improved.

Also, If it's going to be like the editor is now, will we get some sort of live 3d preview without having to load it up then like we do now? I'm thinking since it's already in 3d, then surely pressing preview isn't necessary any more. RTE's got some sort of rewind feature if I remember correctly, so if it's possible in A2 then would that be good in A3? I honestly don't know if it would be better to actually have a preview button like we do now or just viewing it in the same 3d editor.

Having used a 3D editor in VBS2, it seems that it's exactly as you described, but that the game engine clock is stopped.

On top of that, what about a real time editor? I got a feeling this wouldn't be included in A3, but would sure be nice since VBS had it back on the old engine.

RTE would be nice too, and is a logical progression from the 3DE.

In fact, wouldn't it be good to be able to play out a 3DE scenario, and be able to stop the action at any time and use *that* moment as the mission start? That way you could arrange for a battle in the editor, and when it reaches a state where you can use it (say wrecks & bodies everywhere, for mission start atmosphere) you can freeze at that point.