Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

ACE for OA 1.11

Some of those are available in RH M4/M16 pack, and ASR RH M4 configs will make them behave like all other ACE weapons. You can find them on Six Updater.

Just a quick question. Is there a way to disable blackouts while flying completely. I don't have any pilot classes in my map, so it's a compounding problem, and also, sometimes, you'll partially blackout, and it will never return to normal, even after you die.

Shift+K. In case the altimeter shows no text please run Verify and Repair: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/24372#note-5

This new shift-k thing is duplicating bringing up the compass during both the altimeter and the wind check options when it didn't previously.

With regards to removing the HALO hint system is there an option to turn that off and get the hint system back please? When "realism" things are introduced that drastically, and arguably for the worse, change core gameplay can those changes please be made optional and default to the sensible version in the future? We've had a few cases of this recently.

There's a reason I'll never try PR and this kind of thing is why. Everything should be optional and realism shouldn't be forced on the player. If people want to plummet to the earth without knowing how fast they are going make them plop down a this setVariable ["ace_sys_forcedrealism_ruins_gameplay", true]; while the rest of us by default keep getting the accurate height hint please. :)

Why not have an "ace_sys_enableArcade" for those who insist on vanilla features in ACE?

Not saying anything specific about the halo system, because in that case it might not be possible to use the same tools you would IRL to control yourself and not smash into the ground (though to really tell I'd have to try it myself - And more than once! I hope you did...), but overall realism should be the default in ACE IMO, as that's one of the main purposes of the mod and why most like to use it.

Just a quick question. Is there a way to disable blackouts while flying completely. I don't have any pilot classes in my map, so it's a compounding problem, and also, sometimes, you'll partially blackout, and it will never return to normal, even after you die.

Use the included API function to make ordinary soldiers behave like pilots: http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/G_Forces+notes

Please report bugs with details and repro @ http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Bug_Reporting

And we will take care of them asap.

To help you get started i've created the ticket for you, just need to supplement it with the requested details and off we go:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/24437

---------- Post added at 12:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

This new shift-k thing is duplicating bringing up the compass during both the altimeter and the wind check options when it didn't previously.

With regards to removing the HALO hint system is there an option to turn that off and get the hint system back please? When "realism" things are introduced that drastically, and arguably for the worse, change core gameplay can those changes please be made optional and default to the sensible version in the future? We've had a few cases of this recently.

There's a reason I'll never try PR and this kind of thing is why. Everything should be optional and realism shouldn't be forced on the player. If people want to plummet to the earth without knowing how fast they are going make them plop down a this setVariable ["ace_sys_forcedrealism_ruins_gameplay", true]; while the rest of us by default keep getting the accurate height hint please. :)

If you feel that everything should be optional I would recommend downloading seperate mods and enabling only that what you want.

Then everything is optional.

Otherwise you can apply config and script overrides just like we do, to the game / any mod; http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Modification (Override, configure API etc).

There are a lot of things you can achieve as Mission Maker, or as Player/Server owner, without adjusting a single ACE pbo.

I'm confident that with little work you could devise a script that would provide you with the wanted behavior, only requires a little creativity.

Few minutes more work and you've made it a (server-side) addon which will enable the behavior throughout all missions.

ACE has an identity and it follows this identity, that doesn't mean it is always correct and no mistakes are made.

Realism is subjective.

Hence the opportunity to give feedback, preferably constructive and abstracted to facts and specifics, http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Bug_Reporting

Personally I would vote +1 for a ticket suggesting the alti-meter to auto-activate upon eject for HALO.

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

Why not have an "ace_sys_enableArcade" for those who insist on vanilla features in ACE?
No plans for this, but as pointed out above, people seem to think that if there's no globalVariable or configuration option, that modification options end there.. Well they don't :) Not by a long shot. Edited by Sickboy

Guys i need @ACE 1.12 RC3 (build 505) where can i find it? I can't get it in Dev Heaven... I screwed up with sixupdater...

Anyway Sickboy, it would be cool to be able to rollback to previous versions in sixupdater

Guys i need @ACE 1.12 RC3 (build 505) where can i find it? I can't get it in Dev Heaven... I screwed up with sixupdater...

Anyway Sickboy, it would be cool to be able to rollback to previous versions in sixupdater

nobody is gonna mirror N iterations of the same mod...I might be wrong, but i doubt it is possible to roll back to previous version one a central repository is updated (without updating it all again)

If you're the server admin, host it on your own repo; http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+CustomRepos_Setup

Or refer the server admin to it.

Otherwise we recommend always running the latest build.

but overall realism should be the default in ACE IMO, as that's one of the main purposes of the mod and why most like to use it.

Everyone has different views on what "realism" is, particularly with regards to gameplay.

The most fundamental question I ask, before realism comes into play, is - does this change add something positive to the experience? Sometimes realistic things do this, sometimes they don't. If they don't, I am of the mind to ditch them. That is how I operate for my community, and we have our own set of things that we remove from ACE entirely, or severely restrict, because they have added nothing to our gameplay and just serve to be annoying.

There are some devs at ACE who continually make killer features, and these are the devs that make me interested in the mod. Q1184 is an excellent example of this, and I enjoy everything I've seen him put into ACE so far that I can think of. There are other devs who seem to have very different ideas of how realism and gameplay interact, and one of those in particular I wince whenever I see that they've made a change, and more often than not I find myself looking for a way to disable it shortly after experiencing it for the first time. ACE is a package deal, though, so you get what you get and it's up to you to find ways to remove the aspects you don't want, assuming they weren't set up for that already by global variables etc.

A few of the unwanted features off the top of my head include:

• sys_combatdeaf - I still don't understand why this is included. During the period that we used this, I can't recall a single instance of it adding anything to the experience - thus, we just remove the pbo entirely. This, in my view, is a really good example of taking realism too far. I could write more or give suggestions on this, but I don't see the point - easier to just delete it and be done with it. Trust me, you won't miss it.
  • sys_gforce - Same story. It just became annoying and didn't really add to the gameplay. Removed this entirely.
  • sys_explosives - We use an old version of this, since the latest ones changed the behaviors of pipebombs and we have missions that depend on them working the 'stock' way. The sys_explosives stuff isn't overall bad, it's just that in this particular instance it doesn't fit our goals, so we'd rather lose some of the functionality than have some of our missions break from it.
  • ACE M/AH6s - These were overwritten by ACE recently, removing the original versions and replacing them with ones that have faster speeds but poorer flight models. This is the kind of change I most dislike - taking something and irrevocably changing it, without giving the end-user the option to choose which version he wants. Fortunately we have had a backup of the 'normal' helos and just use that set of addons instead.

Most recently, the "drop ruck on entering vehicles" change was reverted by us for our ace_overrides addon with the help of Sickboy. This was another case of a feature that just did not add anything positive to the gameplay experience for us. I suspect it was aimed at Domination-style servers where you could potentially see a player load up on gear, hop in a helo, get shot down, and then become a terminator on the ground. This is not how we play, so having such a heavy-handed feature (particularly when it is buggy) does more harm than good.

What Sickboy says re: modifying ACE and overriding stuff is good. Sickboy himself has proven helpful in the past in this respect, and Sickboy in general is just a classy guy who is happy to work with others in all respects. I applaud him for that.

With that being said, the same is NOT true for the entire team. Fortunately it is only one or two bad apples in the group, but sadly they tend to be very vocal, particularly on the issue trackers. The requests that SB makes for people to post issues, help out, contribute, etc, are countered quite effectively by some of the petty and rude responses of those bad apples.

It's a shame, but it is what it is. The best course of action remains the same as always: Rip out the unwanted chunks, drive on with the good stuff, and ignore the petty types. :)

1:I fucking love your guide, Dyslexi.

2:Russians are now my favorite faction. Nothing like no nightvision, ironsights and glorious Soviet weapons. Love the new AK74Ms, IMO you should keep that model forever, it's the most accurate AK74M imo, I like how you can use ironsights with some scopes too, like in real life. No offence to the maker of the old AK74Ms but I found them a bit "too big" and ugly.

yep - some of these "extreme realism that doesen't quite do what it should" really tend to annoy me - will try removing these.

I know I know - I actually quite enjoy extreme realism and ACE2 - but sometimes blackout or getting deafness from an RPK and not when using AK kind of annoys - anyway not ranting or anything)))

Well Dslyexci is kinda correct about combat deafness. Not in that it's "too realistic" though but in that it's redundant

The difference between vanilla and ACE2 is in 1 keypress and 2 mouseclicks required to put earplugs in and then it's like you are playing vanilla until the mission ends

Actually the combat deafness, the way it is now, is not very realistic... But it's so far from game-breaking that I can't even be bothered to complain about it. It's just a minor issue that they may or may not care enough to tweak/improve one day. Similar stuff can be said about other not-so-important features, though combat deafness is the most obvious one.

[*]sys_combatdeaf - I still don't understand why this is included. During the period that we used this, I can't recall a single instance of it adding anything to the experience - thus, we just remove the pbo entirely. This, in my view, is a really good example of taking realism too far. I could write more or give suggestions on this, but I don't see the point - easier to just delete it and be done with it. Trust me, you won't miss it.

It certainly is annoying when ever you play as the Takiban and have no earplugs, but some of the most intense, terrifying experiences I have ever had in-game resulted from being deafened early on in a firefight and wondering around the battlefield in a state of dazed bewilderment. I eventually ended up crawling through ditches, trying to slink away from all the loud noises so the ringing in my ears would stop. And there is nothing quite like having your senses blown out of you head by a tank's gun going off, or a mortar round that should have killed you.

Made my first HALO after leaving this thread in fear. Safely touched down, standing up, no altimeter necessary. Practice, feels good man.

Hi, about the battlecenter again: Is it possible to adjust the groups, so i could train my men as fire team leaders by giving each of them 3 AI soldiers?

Sure, grab the missions from acex_missions_bc_oa pbo.

Adjust them to your needs, pack them as ordinary mission pbo's like any other mission and put em on the server.

You will probably want to leave out the include of descDefault.hpp in the mission's description.ext

and replace it with:

respawn = "BASE";
respawndelay = 10;
disabledAI = 1;
//respawn = "BIRD";
//respawndelay = 0;

Minus the disabledAI = 1; / other things you desire.

In this form you will probably want to disable the unused slots when you start the mission,

or better said, only enable the AI slots you have fire team leaders for.

Otherwise you'll have a lot of AI's :P

Edited by Sickboy

Maybe one stupid little Question, but i couldn´t find an Answer over ACE Wagn & Co. :

If i put the ACE Wounds Module in a Mission, and give the Medic an ACE Rucksack (ACE_Rucksack_DMARPAT_Medic) via Script, is the Rucksack prefilled with Medic-Stuff then? I ask this, because i wondered about the Fact that the Medic got 10 Pieces of everything (Morph, Epi, Bandage etc.) in his Rucksack, without filled it via extra Script.

I hope that my Question is understandable. :)

Thanks in advance

Greets

Maybe one stupid little Question, but i couldn´t find an Answer over ACE Wagn & Co. :

If i put the ACE Wounds Module in a Mission, and give the Medic an ACE Rucksack (ACE_Rucksack_DMARPAT_Medic) via Script, is the Rucksack prefilled with Medic-Stuff then? I ask this, because i wondered about the Fact that the Medic got 10 Pieces of everything (Morph, Epi, Bandage etc.) in his Rucksack, without filled it via extra Script.

I hope that my Question is understandable. :)

Thanks in advance

Greets

Yes every unit gets automatically medical gear, ordinary soldiers get bandages, medics get the whole other lot :)

There's a global variable and object variable to override the behavior; http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Wounding_System+notes#Global%20Variables