Sign in to follow this  
navy996

If you joined the millitary what branch would you be(army,navy,airforce etc.)

I've already enlisted in the Marine Corps, my job contract code is DD. Basically they throw me whatever intelligence job happens to need bodies at the time I go through recruit training. Most likely will become a jack of all trades, master of none 0231. I ship at the start of FY2012 in October when the jobs open up.

I'm assuming unless you're military, former, or actually in the DEP very few understand how job selection works. You don't just sign on as a Auto Rifleman.. you sign Infantry.

I've already enlisted in the Marine Corps, my job contract code is DD. Basically they throw me whatever intelligence job happens to need bodies at the time I go through recruit training. Most likely will become a jack of all trades, master of none 0231. I ship at the start of FY2012 in October when the jobs open up.

I'm assuming unless you're military, former, or actually in the DEP very few understand how job selection works. You don't just sign on as a Auto Rifleman.. you sign Infantry.

Dont they ask or pick the Auto Rifleman? Apparently theyre switching to the IAR so being an auto rifleman might not be that bad.

Dont they ask or pick the Auto Rifleman? Apparently theyre switching to the IAR so being an auto rifleman might not be that bad.

I think that's fireteam-specific. The Fireteam leader is the senior-most man in the fireteam, and uses the Grenade-launcher. The second senior-most man is the Automatic Rifleman, who uses a SAW or soon the IAR. The third senior-most is the assistant, and the newest member is a basic rifleman.

With a lot of our officers they go to college for 4 years, meanwhile they go though an officer program, then, following graduation the become a second lieutenant and lead a platoon they are usually 22 or 23 years old. When I was 22 I had a combat deployment under my belt and 4 years actual experience. I can only assume an aussie will become an officer even younger than that, and no matter what an LT under 25 scares the shit out of me.

I'm assuming you're US? I think "college" is completely different over here to what you guys have*. Basically Yr 12 (when we're 17/18) is our final year, and based on our ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking (basically a fancy name for UAI (another fancy name for "have you got enough points to get into Uni"))) you can either apply for ADFA (Uni) for an officers role (i think its about 4 years training). Or you can go direct entry after Yr 10, but you don't get any of the benefits (paid to study, a degree after defence, a better job etc). Doesn't mean you can't earn them, its just more difficult (i believe...i'd hope thats correct considering the amount of ADF staff i've talked to about it).

What i can gather from your system, your officers don't go to Uni to get in, am i correct?

* College here is Years 11 and 12 only, high school 7-10 and primary 3-6, pre i believe is 1-2, depending on what state you're in. Private schools go all the way from k-12.

From listening to what infantry Marines say, the SAW gunner is probably a new guy. They make him carry it because it's large and heavy. On the other hand it takes a lot of skill to use effectively so it could be the team's more senior member handling it.

From what I understand the IAR is more of a ploy to adopt a new infantry rifle. SAWs aren't being replaced entirely, that and I don't think IAR gunners are going to be able to fire more than 38 RPM when it's over 100 degrees. Or maybe it's 28 RPM when it's more than 100 and 38 when below that.

Just like Hebrew Hammer said, you don't pick what job/role you want. I was lucky enough to get Infantry, and on your contract it will only say Infantry 0300, your actual job in Infantry (Rifleman, Machinegunner, etc) is determined (From what my Recruiter told me) during SOI.

Marine Corps Infantry fall into

0311 - Rifleman

0313 - LAV Crewman

0317 - Scout/Sniper(Not a PMOS)

0321 - Recon Marine(only obtainable by going through Recon training pipeline)

0331 - Machinegunner

0341 - Mortarman

0351 - Assaultman

0352 - TOW Gunner

and soon 037X will be MARSOC.

Where 0331's will be in charge of crew served weapons and medium MG's like the M240. 0351's are kind of like Combat Engineer-lite's. In charge of demolitions and anti-tank weapons like the SMAW.

Yes, if you have a UH(Infantry) Contract your MOS will be voluntold to you in SOI. Not all ITB classes will ask for recon wannabees, and 0317 is only open to Lcpl's and above. Typically they will have to serve in a STA platoon and actually learn to shoot before ever going to school.

Edited by The Hebrew Hammer

I applied for the Royal Navy as an artificer (now no longer an official rank) when I was 16. I passed the tests, but after the interview they said come back in a year (I think they must have known my heart wasn't in it!). A year later I had discovered beer, girls and university (or Polytechnic as it was then). Thus my potential career in HM Armed Forces was at an end.

What job would I do now? I would have to say none - I am full of admiration and pride for those that do and humbled knowing it is a job I could not do myself.

I´d go for the Air Force. I dont mind if fighter pilot or just transport.

If this wouldnt work I´d go for the Army, either as artillery operator or tracked anti aircraft.

I served as an Infantry Marine 0311. I got out

several years ago.

Hebrew Hammer is correct in his description. I am not surprised

considering it says under his name that he is a Staff Sergeant.

I'm assuming from his knowledge and his rank that he was an

Infantry Platoon Sergeant.

I got out of the Corps back in 2008.

Personally, the Corps, especially serving in Infantry is

a love/hate relationship. Sometimes you love it, other times

you hate it.

I've done pretty much everything most Infantrymen dream of

doing in the Corps as an Infantryman, so I am pretty satisfied

with my experiences now. I'm glad I did it, but I'm glad it's over.

There have been times post Marines where I have considering

going into the French Foreign Legion to continue on in a professional

fighting force, but honestly, I'm done fighting.

Now I'm in university getting my tuition fully paid by the Post 911

GI BILL. Thank you all you tax payers for paying for my education.

Hebrew Hammer is correct in his description. I am not surprised considering it says under his name that he is a Staff Sergeant.

I'm assuming from his knowledge and his rank that he was an Infantry Platoon Sergeant.

That's his rank in this forum due to his post count.

if i was to join a branch it would be SAS I think.

the prospect of parachuting behind enemy lines, with just a limited amount of kit, having to fend for our selves in denied Op's and blowing the living daylights out of some high value raghead target, home for tea and medals sounds too good. Plus its basically an instant ticket to plowing through all the good looking girls in the local. furthermore, it would mean I have a chance of making some money from writing a book and being an advisor for TV shows when I leave.

If I would to consider career in warfare then I would like to be a mercenary. You get paid and you can choose the side you fight for. You don’t have this luxury as regular soldier.

If I would to consider career in warfare then I would like to be a mercenary. You get paid and you can choose the side you fight for. You don’t have this luxury as regular soldier.

But mercenaries are illegal.

Also, you don't choose who to fight for, your company chooses it for you. If you don't like it, they pull you out.

You also don't have country or international laws to back you up.

Legal/illegal - that really depends on what country you are from. But really nowadays it’s no fun. I would like to be a merc in 1960-1980 Africa (Congo, Angola). Doing a taxi driver in Iraq as PMC would really sucks. And I would have to cut my hands off if I was forced to use AK or AR :D

if i was to join a branch it would be SAS I think.

the prospect of parachuting behind enemy lines, with just a limited amount of kit, having to fend for our selves in denied Op's and blowing the living daylights out of some high value raghead target, home for tea and medals sounds too good. Plus its basically an instant ticket to plowing through all the good looking girls in the local. furthermore, it would mean I have a chance of making some money from writing a book and being an advisor for TV shows when I leave.

I don't know how it is in the UK, however, in the U.S. most(not all) girls don't really care if you are in the military. They especially don't like it if you are

a Marine. They don't care if you are SEAL, SF, or any other type of military.

Lots of guys have this false notion that American chicks dig military guys.

It's not really true, and if that is one of the reasons you want to join, you will

be severely disappointed.

Especially if you start telling people you're SAS. Quickest way to make people think you're a fruitcake.

I remember reading one of the recent Apache books, one of the blokes was quoted as saying how none of the girls he speaks to ever believe he actually is a military pilot. Think it was Apache Dawn.

Legal/illegal - that really depends on what country you are from. But really nowadays it’s no fun. I would like to be a merc in 1960-1980 Africa (Congo, Angola). Doing a taxi driver in Iraq as PMC would really sucks. And I would have to cut my hands off if I was forced to use AK or AR :D

There are different ways to work as a PMC. I have several friends of mine

who served with me in Iraq who are now working as PMCs. They make very good money. It really depends on what you want to do.

PMCs do anything they are needed to do. If you want trigger time, you can

get it. If you want to work on your own by your own rules or with a small team, that is possible too, depending on how you promote yourself, whether for a large corporation or as a freelancer or whatnot.

And also, remember, there is mercenary work needed outside Iraq and Afghanistan. PMCs also work in many parts of Asia, South America, and Africa today. There are a multitude of various companies that you could work for if you wanted to go that route and get experience, not just Blackwater(now called Xe services I think).

The main thing that is required is prior military experience and expertise in a field they are looking for.

I don't know how it is in the UK, however, in the U.S. most(not all) girls don't really care if you are in the military. They especially don't like it if you are

a Marine. They don't care if you are SEAL, SF, or any other type of military.

Lots of guys have this false notion that American chicks dig military guys.

It's not really true, and if that is one of the reasons you want to join, you will

be severely disappointed.

But, if I was British and in the military, the American chicks wouldn't be able to sit down for weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks, well so many weeks it would be months.

I think you only have Hollywood to blame for the false notion, as, for example in Navy Seals, with Charlie Sheen as a Navy seal, getting the sexy Arab woman, played by a Brit with her American Arab English Accent. Rambo too, Green Beret, he gets the sexy Asian chickaa. Dutch in Predator takes the tastey Latino girl home for alot more than a shower, I can assure you.

As you can see, being SF sure does have its perks.

Legal/illegal - that really depends on what country you are from.

Well, there's the Geneva Convention.

There's a bounty on the Lord Resistance Army leader, Joseph Kony, and some people say several bounty hunters and mercenaries from around the world attended it, but no one really got it I think.

Kadafi's government in Lybia also employs mercenary armies.

But, if I was British and in the military, the American chicks wouldn't be able to sit down for weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks, well so many weeks it would be months.

I think you only have Hollywood to blame for the false notion, as, for example in Navy Seals, with Charlie Sheen as a Navy seal, getting the sexy Arab woman, played by a Brit with her American Arab English Accent. Rambo too, Green Beret, he gets the sexy Asian chickaa. Dutch in Predator takes the tastey Latino girl home for alot more than a shower, I can assure you.

As you can see, being SF sure does have its perks.

I don't think I understand your post. Are you asserting that

in real life SF guys get all the chicks, or just in the movies?

I have friends who are current and former Special Operations Forces

personnel, and they don't get any more ladies than I do.

Like I said, most girls, especially girls over the age of 21 don't give a damn

if you are a Marine, SF, SEAL, Ranger or whatever.

Most girls really don't even know the difference. The few that do dig us

just like the uniform. That is one thing I like about the Marines. We

have the best enlisted or officer dress uniform in the country if not

the world. Small perk however.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.

As I said earlier, most girls find men who are in the military,

especially the Marines to be a turnoff due to Marines reputations

as being a bunch of drunk, horny, assholish, womanizers.

The only girls who like us are young, naiive, and superficial chicks.

It aint bad for a one night stand, but if you are looking for anything

else, forget about it.

And in a college environment, guess who gets more attention

from the girls? Wanna take a stab at it? I'll just tell you, atleast

in most universities, it's the Navy and Airmen. Lot's of girls

think they are more intelligent, academically proficient, sane, and in general, nicer guys.

PMC is still outlaw of the Geneva Convention, none of these countries can take criminal offense based on this rule. Even they stealing nuclear warfare, nobody cares.