Sign in to follow this  
abs

What am I doing wrong?

So, today I had an hour to kill before a business meeting that I have to attend, so I decided that instead of playing the usual single player, I would hop on and play some MP and chat up some other players in the process.

I go into the MP menu, and see that most servers are yellow. I don't know what that means, so I try joining anyway. Ah, I guess it means that I have some unsigned addons. Fine. I close A2 and remove all addons but the default game ones.

I log back on, and many mroe servers are now green. Score! So I try to join a few that have more than 4 players. There is a server in Quebec which will do just fine, despite the fact that they're Francophone. :p Just kidding.

I click and connect. I'm in. Sweet! I pick a slot, and click done. It downloads the mission, and I'm back in the lobby. What the eff?

I try it again, and same result.

I try a different server, same result. These are all public servers with green icons and low ping times. Yes, I also have the same version as them.

I just waster 40 minutes of my play time trying to connect to a server just to get some gaming in, and I have no clue what the cause of it was. I don't even play MP that often, and I now remember why...because it's such a huge pain in the arse to join.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'd like to know if I'm missing something, or if this is a regular experience that people have.

Abs

That might be due to the fact that they might use some addons.

They probably play on a default island, but uses some vehicle or something that not in you're game.

So when you join, you don't have what it takes to play det mission.

You might want to look in your arma2oa.rpt file and see if that says what you are missing.

In the MP list, if you mark one server, it usually says what addons is also running

do you use the sixupdater?

If not then you should be, it makes the whole process of installing and updating mods a simple 1 click process...AND you can view all servers before you even open Arma!

For example, first you open the sixupdater

then...you can select which mods you want and install from there easily with no hassle (all mods can be updated as soon as needed with one click and sixupdater tells you which ones everytime you start it).

Secondly...using six you can search for MP servers as you would in Arma, it will tell you how many players are online etc and then you can simply add the server to a new preset (in Sixupdater) which includes the mods required to join. Load arma from that new preset and your ready to go!

It is simple once you know it! 20mins learning SixUpdater will save you all the time, EVERYTIME you want to play!

http://www.six-updater.net/p/about.html

Enjoy :)

I had checked to make sure my addons were compatible before trying it out. A reinstall of the game fixed the issue for me. :p

Thanks for the info about SIX updater. I didn't know it did all that. Will have to check it out.

Cheers!

Abs

Just update Battleye:

www.Battleye.com/download.html

This should be stickied... it happens to a lot of people. Why reinstall?

Also not launching CO proper causes missing addons message.( If you have steam: goto library, right click on operation arrowhead> launch combined ops.)

Edited by Rip31st

Glad you got it sorted mate. Online gaming is just so much fun ! Hope to see you online.

Just update Battleye:

www.Battleye.com/download.html

This should be stickied... it happens to a lot of people. Why reinstall?

Also not launching CO proper causes missing addons message.( If you have steam: goto library, right click on operation arrowhead> launch combined ops.)

Again, forget launching through steam or normal if you have it!

Use SixUpdater! ;)

Yea, it must have been battleye. I had it through Steam but bought it from Sprocket as well, and just made the switch. I definitely launch CO, but I use some launcher that I got off a friend. I only reinstalled because I had no idea what the problem was. :)

Kremator, I've been hanging out on the public TAW domination server. There's usually 20 people or so on there. My name is 'Abs' online as well. :) If not there, I'm sure we'll bump into each other somewhere.

Thanks KR303. I've got SIX now. :)

Abs

I'm glad you got your problem fixed. I suggest you stay off the TAW server though, as it's usually complete chaos. A lot of people just like to grab helicopters and fly them off into the middle of nowhere. Try the 7th Cavalry Domination server, they don't let just anyone fly and make sure the groundpounders have fun too.

do you use the sixupdater?

If not then you should be, it makes the whole process of installing and updating mods a simple 1 click process...AND you can view all servers before you even open Arma!

Negative. That is a 100% sure way of breaking your install. The updater is far from finished and runs like it.

Negative. That is a 100% sure way of breaking your install. The updater is far from finished and runs like it.

Well i ain't experienced any problems with it and only complete ease of use for what i have been using for, as have the many more users!

Nothing that is user made such as that is ever going to be 'finished' i reckon!

It works very well though!