Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Why is AK74PSO considered as sniper rifle?

The same circumstances under which the AI will say, "engage that at soldier" or, "engage that sniper" are the circumstances under which the AI will consider the unit's equipment for threat evaluation.

These are properties of the unit itself though, not their weapons. If you gave an AT soldier a sniper rifle AI will still think he's an AT soldier.

For unmodified ArmA 2, one would imagine that the paas are related to the actual unit type in some way.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. IFAIK the icons in question are those on the units in the command bar (bottom of screen that shows units in your squad). There are seperate icons for the unit types upon which the weapon type icon is overlayed.

Either way my point was that whether or not a weapon puts the little sniper icon on a unit has no further implications than the icon.

These are properties of the unit itself though, not their weapons. If you gave an AT soldier a sniper rifle AI will still think he's an AT soldier.

Really? That's not how it works in my experience. It seems like when you load yourself up with threatening weapons, enemy units who are threatened by those weapons take more notice. Also, it seems to me that if you have an AT weapon, no matter what else you have the enemy call you an AT soldier. I haven't done any tests to confirm this tho. Perhaps you know more than me?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. IFAIK the icons in question are those on the units in the command bar (bottom of screen that shows units in your squad). There are seperate icons for the unit types upon which the weapon type icon is overlayed.

Either way my point was that whether or not a weapon puts the little sniper icon on a unit has no further implications than the icon.

I was just saying that I think that under normal circumstances, BIS would have chosen the icon appropriate to the unit that comes with that weapon as a stock firearm.

The point I was trying to make was that while the original poster is questioning the sniper weapon class based on the paa, it may not just be the paa that's calling you a sniper with that weapon. The weapon may also be treated as special by the AI.

Edited by Max Power

I was just saying that I think that under normal circumstances, BIS would have chosen the icon appropriate to the unit that comes with that weapon as a stock firearm.

Under normal circumstances, you might ask yourself why is there even an icon there? What is the purpose of this icon?

Really? That's not how it works in my experience. It seems like when you load yourself up with threatening weapons, enemy units who are threatened by those weapons take more notice. Also, it seems to me that if you have an AT weapon, no matter what else you have the enemy call you an AT soldier. I haven't done any tests to confirm this tho. Perhaps you know more than me?

Thats how it is in my experience as well. If i'm scavenging for weapons and pick up a mg, I now have that icon. If I order my rifleman AI to go pick up an rpg they have a at icon.

I can hear the ai change "titles" when I have them get healed. "4 heal that sniper" instead of "4 heal that rifleman".

The point I was trying to make was that while the original poster is questioning the sniper weapon class based on the paa, it may not just be the paa that's calling you a sniper with that weapon. The weapon may also be treated as special by the AI.

I dunno, there's just nothing in the configs (at least that I can see) that supports either of these.

Under normal circumstances, you might ask yourself why is there even an icon there? What is the purpose of this icon?

The icon is there so you can effectively command the squad.

If memory serves, those dastardly Russians engineered the tumbling effect into the 5.45 on purpose by giving it a centre of gravity closer to the rear of the round.

Bless their cotton socks.

ironically, yes, Soviet[NOT "Russian"]engineers pick that [under Party pressure]under impression of wound ballistic of SS-10x/M-885 rounds fro M16. in result - stability of rounds even on mid-range was proven unacceptabel by anyone, including police, evein in good weather, w/o foliage. let alone AP rate for original "jacketed pb w/steel core" version, unable to pass notepad in enemy soldiers pockets.

but both countries switch back to more forward-weighted rounds, like M995[now known as M885Ax in production or under different names]as well as 7H22-7Ð24 rounds, as well as tungsten steel core and improved powder[better pressure curve].

Edited by BasileyOne