Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Why is AK74PSO considered as sniper rifle?

(Don't know where to put this.)

Why is the AK 74 PSO considered as a sniper rifle? (Other PSO rifles are not).

This can be seen when a subordinate group member has this gun: his group picture has a sniper-icon.

Perhaps because its a 7.62 round, and no real ability to be used in cqb.

I read wikipedia wrong, The AK was downgraded from 7.62 to 5.45 round, It should be classed as a poor mans marksman rifle rather than a sniper

I read wikipedia wrong, The AK was downgraded from 7.62 to 5.45 round, It should be classed as a poor mans marksman rifle rather than a sniper

Marksman and Sniper share the same icon...that's why.

Hi, i don't consider the ArmA2 AK-74PSO a sniper rifle, just a scoped assault weapon; like a M-16A4 ACOG. On the ArmA2 (in the SP campaign and missions) i avoid this weapons as much as i can because they're unsuitable for the CQB or just short range, for HOT and shoot to kill at +600m i use the SVD, SVD-S, M40-A3 or even the M14-A1 (aka M14-DMR) that it's few zoom makes it harder to STK by one shot at +400m than with any of the others. Let's C ya

THE 545 TUMBLES IN YOU AND WOUNDS YOU AND INJURES MUCH BETTER, THE 762 ONLY PENETRATES BETTER, IT CAN SOMETIMES FAIL TO KILL AS IT GOES RIGHT THROUGH.

/ragecaps Also, wikipedia? Of course they said it was a downgrade....

Now to be OT, it is incorrect to designate the 74 with a PSO as a sniper rifle, it can be used as a marksman's rifle tho.

Both tumble. The 5.45 typically tumbles earlier, unless you're talking about the Yugoslavian M67 7.62x39 which behaves much like the M74 you're describing.

If memory serves, those dastardly Russians engineered the tumbling effect into the 5.45 on purpose by giving it a centre of gravity closer to the rear of the round.

Bless their cotton socks.

If memory serves, those dastardly Russians engineered the tumbling effect into the 5.45 on purpose by giving it a centre of gravity closer to the rear of the round.

Bless their cotton socks.

Correct.

I don't really mind the "hurr downgrade" shit but if you dare to say "The AK74 is the civilian version of the AK47!" I will punch you through the internet :(.

I don't really mind the "hurr downgrade" shit but if you dare to say "The AK74 is the civilian version of the AK47!" I will punch you through the internet :(.

Yeah you're right, its obviously the complete opposite. Is there anyone BUT civilians that carry the AK47 anymore? :D

Yeah you're right, its obviously the complete opposite. Is there anyone BUT civilians that carry the AK47 anymore? :D

No.

No civilian has a registered AK47, well they do but they are single shot rifles not even made by Russians!

Ruined your joke, ha!

you dont even need a scope to snipe - remember the chick in full metal jacket with the AK47? she sniped really well with iron sights, as do I (although prefer the AKM). scopes are overrated and certainly overused in arma.

No civilian has a registered AK47

Captain Obvious strikes again!

I wager that there are certainly Russian Army units that still carry the AK47 (and AKM, by extension) - they have one hell of a large force to refit.

I wager that there are certainly Russian Army units that still carry the AK47 (and AKM, by extension) - they have one hell of a large force to refit.

In small numbers, otherwise they're not Russian.

They've done a good job of phasing out the AK47S and M :/.

I think the icon means "scoped weapon" not exactly "sniper weapon" which would fit.

Myke;1981891']I think the icon means "scoped weapon" not exactly "sniper weapon" which would fit.

As said before, the icon is the same for a DM and a Sniper.

There are scoped weapons that do not have that "aim" icon. E.g. AK107 - what's the difference (ingame) between AK74 PSO and AK107 PSO? (Except that the 74 has a very high spread).

There are scoped weapons that do not have that "aim" icon. E.g. AK107 - what's the difference (ingame) between AK74 PSO and AK107 PSO? (Except that the 74 has a very high spread).
Simple

M16ACOG, AK107 is stil in original ArmA II state

Mk16/17 Ak74 is in updated OA state...and only the updated OA weapon get the marksman Icon.

Myke;1981891']I think the icon means "scoped weapon" not exactly "sniper weapon" which would fit.

Doesn't the Lee Enfield have the icon too? That doesn't have a scope.

Maybe it depends on the composition of the army that the weapon comes from.

I think in the ArmA 2 Russian Army, the Sniper and DM weapon is the Dragunov, and in the ArmA 2 US Marines, the DM's get the DMR.. I think Russian squad leaders get the ak107 PSO? In the Takistani Army, it looks like DMs get the ak 74 PSO.

Edited by Max Power

Doesn't the Lee Enfield have the icon too? That doesn't have a scope.

The icons don't mean a thing. There are no "classes" of weapons in ArmA technically speaking (unless you count the different simulations, ex: rifles, handguns, and launchers). The only purpose of the icons is to give a visual indication of what type of weapon the unit in the command bar is equipped with. If the icon doesn't make sense for that weapon then it's probably just a mistake or case of inadvertant inheritence.

Also it indicates how the AI perceive you when they are doing threat evaluations for target priority.

Also it indicates how the AI perceive you when they are doing threat evaluations for target priority.

Really? I didn't know AI could get all that from a paa file...

UiPicture = "\CA\weapons\data\Ico\i_sniper_CA.paa";

Threat evaluation is not related to the icon. As you can see, the icon is an individual config entry. Whether or not all weapons that use that icon have a certain threat level is just a convention though, not a rule.

Btw, in the case of the AKS-74 with PSO-1, there's nothing in the config that indicates the AI will evaluate it differently than any other AK-74.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Really? I didn't know AI could get all that from a paa file...

The same circumstances under which the AI will say, "engage that at soldier" or, "engage that sniper" are the circumstances under which the AI will consider the unit's equipment for threat evaluation. For unmodified ArmA 2, one would imagine that the paas are related to the actual unit type in some way.