Sign in to follow this  
t1bbo

Quick help request - AMD Phenom overclock, temps, and stuff!

Hi Troops.

My PC builder has just emailed me to give me an update on the overclocking he is doing, and the results he is getting from the Arma demo benchmarking.

I am a complete novice, but could you tell me what you think here guys - all comments welcome, especially off anyone that knows anything about overclocking AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 chips and any settings I should tell him to try before he takes my cash!!!...

"I have a stable 3.6GHz with max temp of 59.5C through 12 hours stress test (ie all 4 cores running at 100% for 12 hours). That is with stock voltages and multipliers which is best to ensure no damage to the chip over time. I will continue to tweak and see if I can pull a 3.7 or 3.8 though with the same level of temps/stability. I always use 60C under load as the ceiling for any Phenom overclock, I believe AMD recommend 62C as the safe operating limit so 60 is a reasonable target. There is also the wear-in period of the thermal compound to consider (heat conductive paste between the CPU and cooler) which can effect temps +5C over a period of 50 - 200 hours.

I have installed AMD's software for overclocking in Windows, AMD Overdrive, this will enable you to o/c the CPU & graphics card as required to discover optimum settings for ARMA and display on your TV. It is very easy to use and includes various stability tests and temperature monitors. You will find all the info you need on o/c results & figures on any gamers forum including the ARMA forums I'm sure. I will tune everything to what I think best anyway so it's not really necessary but there are so many variables and differences in game settings that forums are the best way to find optimum performance as 1000s of brains are always better than 1!

I have run the ARMA II benchmark tests today and got the following results, let me know how they compare to what you read on forums.

Standard 1024x768 , High , 2x AA - 54 FPS (Test1) 19.6 FPS (Test2: Full action)"

Full HD 1920x1080, Very high, 8x/16x AA - 42.7 FPS (1) 14.8 FPS (2)

These were on a CPU 3.6o/c and very slight 15MHz GPU o/c.

The CPU cooler is an Artic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 (info here http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F ) with 2x 120mm case fans for circulation.

WiFi card is installed and 7x USB ports along with a multi-card reader for SD, MicroSD, XD, etc.

i use amd phenom II X2 2.2ghz

512mb en9600gt

4gb ram

3 years old rig and running arma2 CO on 1280 X 1024 normal settings with

post processing - off

AA - off

your's should be able to run better than mine XD

Get SSD if you really want to feel any big improvement playing arma2, oh arma2 CO latest patch increase FPS by a lot too.

Hi Troops.

My PC builder has just emailed me to give me an update on the overclocking he is doing, and the results he is getting from the Arma demo benchmarking.

I am a complete novice, but could you tell me what you think here guys - all comments welcome, especially off anyone that knows anything about overclocking AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 chips and any settings I should tell him to try before he takes my cash!!!...

"I have a stable 3.6GHz with max temp of 59.5C through 12 hours stress test (ie all 4 cores running at 100% for 12 hours). That is with stock voltages and multipliers which is best to ensure no damage to the chip over time. I will continue to tweak and see if I can pull a 3.7 or 3.8 though with the same level of temps/stability. I always use 60C under load as the ceiling for any Phenom overclock, I believe AMD recommend 62C as the safe operating limit so 60 is a reasonable target. There is also the wear-in period of the thermal compound to consider (heat conductive paste between the CPU and cooler) which can effect temps +5C over a period of 50 - 200 hours.

I have installed AMD's software for overclocking in Windows, AMD Overdrive, this will enable you to o/c the CPU & graphics card as required to discover optimum settings for ARMA and display on your TV. It is very easy to use and includes various stability tests and temperature monitors. You will find all the info you need on o/c results & figures on any gamers forum including the ARMA forums I'm sure. I will tune everything to what I think best anyway so it's not really necessary but there are so many variables and differences in game settings that forums are the best way to find optimum performance as 1000s of brains are always better than 1!

I have run the ARMA II benchmark tests today and got the following results, let me know how they compare to what you read on forums.

Standard 1024x768 , High , 2x AA - 54 FPS (Test1) 19.6 FPS (Test2: Full action)"

Full HD 1920x1080, Very high, 8x/16x AA - 42.7 FPS (1) 14.8 FPS (2)

These were on a CPU 3.6o/c and very slight 15MHz GPU o/c.

The CPU cooler is an Artic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 (info here http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F ) with 2x 120mm case fans for circulation.

WiFi card is installed and 7x USB ports along with a multi-card reader for SD, MicroSD, XD, etc.

looks like its all good and he knows he´s stuff. 3.6 ghz stable seems good and u would be happy if he gets 3.8 ghz stable.

About paying him, not too sure about that, because after 2 hours of online research u could do it easily by yourself ;)

http://www.google.fi/#sclient=psy&hl=fi&source=hp&q=AMD+Phenom+2+x4+955+overclocking+tutorial&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d66a1f4b4e13386e&biw=1680&bih=856

Cheers for the replies, cant wait to get online. Now, if Amazon had not lost my mouse, keyboard and speakers i would be happy!