Sign in to follow this  
Chaingunfighter

Medics from "Out-of-Team" Healing

Let's say, you have a medic that you don't implement into your squad, well, I think it should allow the medic to heal non-squadmembers in combat, as like real life. It could also be with Civilian Doctors in some buildings, who will autoheal other friendly civilians or troops without having to be in the same group and ordered by the leader. It's not a HUGE deal, because grouping them in Arma 2 is not too difficult, but it would be much easier to have them stay in a relative area without being ordered to it (Unless they encounter enemies, of course)

So, this is just my opinion, but I would like this implemented, thanks.

Yes i argree with this except for the civilian doctor part though it was creative. In Real life Medics (atleast in the USMC) are at platoon level so its kinda annoying having to have a medic for every squad or even every fire team

One thing that should also change, I think, is the way the medics heal. Right now, if you're in an AI-led squad, in the middle of a heavy firefight you could scream out for a medic 15 times, the medic won't do anything until the squad leader orders him to heal you. (And, usually, this doesn't happen...or at least, not as often as it should). The medic shouldn't have to wait for a squad leader to tell him to heal...when there's a wounded man on the ground, the medic should be getting towards him ASAP. This of course can be changed for human squad leaders.

Agreed. Medics are not as fast as they should be. Also healing civilians is a nice touch. If something like taking into account what civilians think of you was implemented, obviously this ability would improve it.

The system is already fine except one little detail, you cannot request medic support when you're on your own. Put a support waypoint on a medic. As squaddie, you can request medic support from the complex command menu. If you're infantryman in a squad, the squaddie will call for medic support when you shout injured. Illustrates the point Cdogwoof says about being on the platoon level. Then the medic comes over and heals you. It's medic centric (as it should be imo), rather than player centric (as it was before), despite medic centric being a bit more difficult to cope with.

How can this be fixed? By giving us access to the low level commands (the number menus) via scripting commands. That way I can script an action menu where you call for medic (and numerous other things ;)) when you're all alone.

Lower level medics can be made by utilizing the first aid module, where everyone knows a little something about first aid, but can never replace the medic. Or just scripted from scratch for unusual applications (like the civilian doctor), typically it wouldn't be a resource hog.

Agreed. I'd like to see something like a voice-range based medic call-in facility, where you always have the option to call "medic" and any medic within hearing can respond.

I'm pretty sure that you can move up to any medic and action-menu aid from him, but often it means chasing him down. A "medic" range-based shout would alleviate that.

Maybe there could be medical teams which could include medics and combat surgeons. Combat surgeon could heal more severe injuries than a medic. Teams could be land or air based depending mission makers choice.

Range-based shout sounds good. Could characters of "same" side have an ability call medic for others if they "find" them from the ground?

Edited by -FinLynx-

Agreed. I'd like to see something like a voice-range based medic call-in facility, where you always have the option to call "medic" and any medic within hearing can respond.

I'm pretty sure that you can move up to any medic and action-menu aid from him, but often it means chasing him down. A "medic" range-based shout would alleviate that.

I think in Arma 2, all that needs to happen for this is your squad to 'know about' another medic. Then you can select from the wounded squad-mate's action category in the orders menu 'heal at medic'.

There's a way to do sort of what the OP is asking on a mission basis under the requests for support in the radio menu. It's very rarely used now, but you used to be able to radio HQ for support from a medic. This would send the medic from another squad to your position.

I think in Arma 2, all that needs to happen for this is your squad to 'know about' another medic. Then you can select from the wounded squad-mate's action category in the orders menu 'heal at medic'.

Yeah you can do that for squad members, but you can't do it for yourself. A basic shout-out is needed :)

Which is why I wonder why the support menu is so infrequently used in missions. It seemed like a good mechanic. I also sort of wonder why they gave us artillery stuff under communication and not under support.

Which is why I wonder why the support menu is so infrequently used in missions. It seemed like a good mechanic. I also sort of wonder why they gave us artillery stuff under communication and not under support.

Sounds to me like you have the germ of an idea about the ability for addons to shuffle command menu items around? ;)

Sounds to me like you have the germ of an idea about the ability for addons to shuffle command menu items around? ;)

If my ramblings have given you an idea, I'd run with it!

Yeah, the support waypoint is massively underutilised, although I can see how it would be more of a pain than a help in some missions where you can't afford to have ambulances and fuel trucks running over everything in sight.

For example, in OFP (and CWR2, by extension), in "Battlefields," the number of times that M113 ambulance has saved my bacon...

If my ramblings have given you an idea, I'd run with it!

Heh, I guess actually the topic already exists, in the form of the UI thread. I believe it may have been mentioned to open up the command system in general so modders can implement other UI types like rose-systems etc.

I wish I could come to some random madic and select Heal at Medic in the action menu like I used to in OPF.

One thing that should also change, I think, is the way the medics heal. Right now, if you're in an AI-led squad, in the middle of a heavy firefight you could scream out for a medic 15 times, the medic won't do anything until the squad leader orders him to heal you. (And, usually, this doesn't happen...or at least, not as often as it should). The medic shouldn't have to wait for a squad leader to tell him to heal...when there's a wounded man on the ground, the medic should be getting towards him ASAP. This of course can be changed for human squad leaders.

Yeah, I was playing that one mission where you're the Spetsnaz with the BMP-3 and I called for a medic like 10 times while I got hit by one of the mortars, and he kept hiding behind a building and standing right next to me looking into the abyss, even though the squad leader ordered him to heal me, and then he finally started his healing when I died....

It's ridiculous how this happens sometimes, but other times it works perfectly. It doesnt usually happen when Im in the editor.

Yeah, I was playing that one mission where you're the Spetsnaz with the BMP-3 and I called for a medic like 10 times while I got hit by one of the mortars, and he kept hiding behind a building and standing right next to me looking into the abyss, even though the squad leader ordered him to heal me, and then he finally started his healing when I died....

It's ridiculous how this happens sometimes, but other times it works perfectly. It doesnt usually happen when Im in the editor.

Slightly OT, but when something like this happens I try to put a different spin on it... I try to imagine that there is a reason he wouldn't/couldn't come out, like he was paralyzed with terror. When a unit very occasionally gets far behind, or stuck in a bush or something, I try to rationalise it ingame by imagining there's a reason he can't continue.

IRL, there's no telling why someone would or would not continue with a task, maybe he badly twisted an ankle, maybe he had an equipment failure, something. It's a matter of looking at these real-life "bugs" and applying them to ingame bugs.

Slightly OT, but when something like this happens I try to put a different spin on it... I try to imagine that there is a reason he wouldn't/couldn't come out, like he was paralyzed with terror. When a unit very occasionally gets far behind, or stuck in a bush or something, I try to rationalise it ingame by imagining there's a reason he can't continue.

IRL, there's no telling why someone would or would not continue with a task, maybe he badly twisted an ankle, maybe he had an equipment failure, something. It's a matter of looking at these real-life "bugs" and applying them to ingame bugs.

Sounds like danger mode causing problems. Perhaps healing should be given the same treatment as "move" or "get in," and cause units to forsake cover.

Personally, however, I rationalise it as well - usually along the lines of "if he goes out there and starts kneeling over me that tank will most likely pulverise him."

In general AI should get their wounded buddies as quick as possible into a safer place - using suppressive fire, diversionary tactic, grenades, smoke, dragging away...

If AI is not able to reach wounded units because of the situation they could at least say/shout something encouraging. :)

In general AI should get their wounded buddies as quick as possible into a safer place - using suppressive fire, diversionary tactic, grenades, smoke, dragging away...

If AI is not able to reach wounded units because of the situation they could at least say/shout something encouraging. :)

Further to this I do think dragging should happen quicker... I know dragging is not an official BIS gameplay feature (??? I think it's modded in?) but if it makes it anto A3 it should be a quicker, easier affair. It's dangerous enough without making it unnecessarily slow and cumbersome. It also makes for easy targets when you see AI dragging another AI.

I know dragging is not an official BIS gameplay feature (??? I think it's modded in?)

Nope, it's part of the modules that came with Arma 2. But yeah, it should be a little quicker. I like the idea of medics shouting encouraging words to those they can't reach. That would be intense.

my ai medics never heal me, especially if im the squad leader, being able to heal at any medic would be a godsend, even better if you could script one to come heal you. nothing is more annoying than writing around on the ground as your medic ignores you, or being so badly wounded all you can do is crawl and your arms are so injured you cant hit someone 20 feet in front of you and there is no medic. a3 should have the fireman carry, i think arma 2 has it also...

AI need to use dragging and fireman carries for sure. That's a major aspect lacking in ArmA 2... And their ability to sense wounded.

they dont seem to sense much of anything, i watched an enemy crouch right in front of one of my squad mates twice yesterday and they didnt shoot at me or at each other

I think the medic should only heal the player so he can move again. Yes it would be nice if any medic could heal you if you are in thier view or on a support waypoint and was called in. I feel you should only be healed 100% from a MEDICAL TENT/CENTER. Most players here talk about Realism HERE on this forum, well having a medic heal you in the field 100% and Playing this game with revives is a big joke. Just my two cents.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1