Sign in to follow this  
SysterYster

Helicopters and autohover!

Mmmmm... crosshairs. I use it to tell me which way I'm pointing my gun, seeing as I use TrackIR and am lacking ingame proprioception. :)

Not to mention that laying down is just plain lazy.

Cant we all just hold hands and sing Cumbaya

Arma 2 soldiers dont hold hands nor sing Cumbaya. But they just

Anyway, just turn off autohover and wobble the helo yourself if you miss it.

Next my nerd rage will extend to those who don't use crouch (as it won't be realistic, part of milsim) or never reload (as that is for wimps) or even take any transport (as their feet are good enough to run anywhere and everywhere).

Hehehe. Thank you, K, for brightening an otherwise dull day. :)

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

As posted before.

Just put this in the init file of your mission and it will work with any helicopter you'll board. Autohover automaticlly when moving less then 18Kph and disable autohover when moving faster then 18Kph

[] spawn {
 while {true} do
   {
    if (driver vehicle player == player  && vehicle player iskindof "Helicopter") then
      {
       if(abs(speed vehicle player ) > 18)  then
         {
          player action ["AutoHoverCancel",vehicle player ];
          } else
            {
             player action ["AutoHover",vehicle player];
             };
        };
     sleep 0.05;
    };
  };

That's excellent, Shay. One thing, can you add some more so that autohover is turned off when pilot gets out?

IIRC modern military and SAR helicopters do have an autopilot which can be used to hold altitude and heading.

In A2OA/A3 the default autopilot/autohover needs a little more polish and smoothness. The current autohover is just too jumpy and wobbling...

Ka-32 can fly entirely on its own... Obv after the computers been programmed..

More control , more speed. The less in % the less control / more speed.

Like if arma 2 autohover would be 100% : very much control / very little speed.

Think of it like a graph.

Edited by SysterYster

Aye, let's sing Kumba ya:

NyD3H4cnwvA

...and while listen to it, learn to level out that chopper manually.... :yay:

As an actual sim player I am perfectly comfortable to use things like auto hover in Arma. As was said before it can be useful while checking the map or doing other combat related things.

I think it most amusing when people slam others on this forum for not playing in the way that makes them feel as though they are playing realistic flight sim :D (when they are playing anything but).

And also (metalcraze) a lot of helos ( especially combat helos) do have a "hover" switch that holds the aircraft in one spot without need for any input from the pilot. Its not that unrealistic at all. Sure...you don't have to be a particular speed when you engage it, or it doesn't auto turn off when you increase air speed..but really...who cares? It's not a helo sim.

When I want full realism I play a flight sim.. I don't play arma and think I'm actually coming any where close to how a real helo is operated. We don't even have separate collective and throttle (the analogue throttle system is a mess anyway) for peats sake and people say auto hover is a cheat or some thing? Oh dear :whistle:

I for one am pretty happy with the current auto hover. It's better since the patch, they reduced the rocking a bit.