Sign in to follow this  
pendragonuk

Rein: PC gaming has "shot by" consoles

Secondly ill buy a TV and use it whether i have a console or not, so no matter what or which way you look at it its got to be paid for anyway. You'll pick up appliances like these anyway so its not a real factor. Im not not going to buy a blueray because my PC can play them, nore am i going to have to buy one if i get a console...

You also have a PC no matter if you play with it or not. Buying a PC for €300 when you could've gotten a gaming PC for €200 more doesn't ring any bells?

You also have a PC no matter if you play with it or not. Buying a PC for €300 when you could've gotten a gaming PC for €200 more doesn't ring any bells?

Well i may just do that when i want a new PC but when will that be? And if i did do it i wouldnt spend as little as £300 odd quid for a PC that can barely run anything now let alone new stuff.

You can build a decent gaming PC for £300.

It will be able to run all the new stuff oin max I expect at that price.

Especially if oyu are willing to cannibalise some old parts form your existing PC like the keyboard, mouse, OS, screen, DVD drive and case.

£50 for a cpu £40 fo a Motherboard, £30 for RAM, £40 for HDD £190 for a nvidia 570 gtx with 1.5GB of ddr5 .

£350, runs Crysis2 on ultra max settings.

Or you could buy a Nvidia 460 and come in at under £300 and still play Crysis2 on ultra max settings.

At that price you can expect to play anything new on max settings for at least a year.

Edited by Baff1

Do I have to take into account my recently bought italian leather recliner couch because I play my console games sitting on it??? anyway

Again you may not like it, you think those devices are crap, consoles have no value to you, but reality is those devices are selling by the 1000's monthly (either at lost or profit) and the worse thing is there are people out there willing to pay US $60 dollars at release to play games at lower gfx resolutions, over that they are paying US $60 yearly to play online on a p2p network on the XBOX,if you are out of warranty good luck but even with all that those crappy devices still selling like there is no tomorrow...console gaming is like facebook (is the cool thing to do ATM)

I love my simulators and those are on the PC and I'm fine with it also I'm glad there are developers like Bohemia Interactive around but simulations/tac shooters are the only genre I play on PC anything else I play on console since 2006

I'm not blind and like I said above there are some things that do suck on the console world but PC gaming isn't a paradise either, out of the 2 consoles are more convenient to the masses and for US $199/299 those devices do their primary job just fine, I have my own reasons on why I like consoles more lately and is not the price of PC parts but to say you can build a computer for US $300 from scratch with decent new parts let's say 3 years ago to present day that can play the latest I really want to see that, I realistic price is US$ 800 with the monitor included that's cheap compared to equally PC parts 8 years ago but consoles are still cheaper and some houses have no 1 but 2 of those devices, most average Joe's just want to push the power button, open the tray, put their recently bought game and fire away.

Edited by ratoa

Mate, PC components are even cheaper in the U.S. than they are in the U.K. You can knock an average of 30% off the price right there.

If you want to pay $800 for an off the shelf package you can. But you don't have to.

I would suggest to you that a $400 spend would convert whatever computer you are typing this on into a spanking gaming rig. $300 would still significanlty outstrip any console... but you might as well spend a little more for some longevity in my opinion.

That said, PC longevity has been greatly extended by the recent gen of consoles. Games software is predominantly programmed to be compatible with them, so the PC software isn't demanding advances in hardware as fast as it used to. Almost all titles run maximised on 5 year old technology. (Geforce 8800). And can be expected to continue on this trend for some time to come.

When these consoles first launched, they were not cheaper than making yourself a gaming PC.

Clearly their hardware prices have come down now.

The software prics however are still much higher.

Console gaming is a false economy. It's not the cheapest way to do it.

I don't think people buy consoles for their prices especially. Not if they are smart anyway. I think they have other priorities, like convenience for example. Ease of use and game titles they wish to play.

Edited by Baff1

Well you've totally backtracked from your original post now.

So there you have it. You cant actually get a decent PC for the same price or cheaper then a console.

Unless your a pirate, rent, buy 1 or 2 games and only play SP. the overall cost of a console is greater over it's life.

and a $200 used computer bought on Craigslist will still run circles and do more then a console..... + you can upgrade it.

As for the cost of games. Hell, I could waste an entire lifetime playing the literally thousands of free games available on the PC including Arma 2 Free.

- Rise of Flight now free

- Simbins RaceRoom and other sponsored versions of their game Race 07.

- Battlefield play 4 free..

- Lord of the rings online.....

- Live for Speed

Among some of the high quality games available for free.

Edited by jblackrupert