Sign in to follow this  
pendragonuk

Rein: PC gaming has "shot by" consoles

But why would anyone want to do that? Pay the same for a machine that will run a game like GTAIV like crap?

People make this claim about PC's being cheaper but its BS. They're not. For the same price as a console you'll be far worse off. Plus have a load of hastle like you pointed out too.

On the other hand consoles will not handle many games for which we buy PCs for. But, a PC can play any game a console can handle.

For not much more cash.

People make this claim about PC's being cheaper but its BS. They're not. For the same price as a console you'll be far worse off. Plus have a load of hastle like you pointed out too.

Everyone has a PC regardless whether they play with it, and that's also true for console players. Buying a beefier PC is cheaper than buying a low range one for surfing and a console for playing. And when it comes to game pricing, PC beats consoles hands down.

People still generally like a separation of their appliances. This is why fridges don't yet have a touchscreen PC built into the door.

Ehrm..

Anyway, consoles aren't something you can really invest in. PCs and PC parts get more mileage for the money you spend (seriously, I have hardware that's gotta be almost 10 or more years old that still gets good use) with the added benefit of filtering out the immature & super-pissed users. Seriously though, I laugh whenever I hear people who exclusively play consoles describe themselves as hardcore gamers.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Ehrm..

Anyway, consoles aren't something you can really invest in. PCs and PC parts get more mileage for the money you spend (seriously, I have hardware that's gotta be almost 10 or more years old that still gets good use) with the added benefit of filtering out the immature & super-pissed users. Seriously though, I laugh whenever I hear people who exclusively play consoles describe themselves as hardcore gamers.

If you play a game to hell, master it, put huge amount of time and effort in the platform is irrelevant.

Someone who will pay the hell out of Skyrim on PC is no more "hardcore" then someone who will play it on xbox/ps3.

Also elitism in gaming is the lamest form of elitism around.

I think he's pointing out youre talking nonsense. I could buy a new model 360 with a few games bundled for appox £180 (thats less then $300). I would like someone to find me a decent spec PC capible of playing PC counterparts for the same price...

Unless you're living in some town out in the middle of nowhere it's very easy to get a PC for that price.

Has been for years and years.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

But why would anyone want to do that? Pay the same for a machine that will run a game like GTAIV like crap?

Consoles are a loss leader.

Kinda like shopping with food stamps or having mommy and daddy give you some of the money to buy it.

Edited by jblackrupert

Unless you're living in some town out in the middle of nowhere it's very easy to get a PC for that price.

Has been for years and years.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Consoles are a loss leader.

Kinda like shopping with food stamps or having mommy and daddy give you some of the money to buy it.

I live in the United Kingdom. I welcome you to find me a modern gaming PC for appox £180.

You've made a claim but you've yet to back it up.

I live in the United Kingdom. I welcome you to find me a modern gaming PC for appox £180.

You've made a claim but you've yet to back it up.

Define 'gaming'. If you're talking Alienware, your expectations will be disappointed. If you mean any PC that can play a game, then it's possible. :p

Abs

Imho it is not possible to buy a pc for approx. 160€ like the XBox in my example.

(OS and all peripherial thingys like mouse and keyboard must be included, too ;))

Define 'gaming'. If you're talking Alienware, your expectations will be disappointed. If you mean any PC that can play a game, then it's possible. :p

Abs

Pretty much any PC can run any game (OS willing). Whether it can run it at a acceptable framerate is another matter.

Imho it is not possible to buy a pc for approx. 160€ like the XBox in my example.

(OS and all peripherial thingys like mouse and keyboard must be included, too ;))

Even without them it is not possibe.

All I can say is:

PC.jpg

Abs

Thats hilarious. Although i dont know why you would censor a dildo.

Especially not when it's still so obvious :p

Have we arrived at the conclusion that console owners don't pay a cent for their internet/work PCs?

Have we arrived at the conclusion that console owners don't pay a cent for their internet/work PCs?

What do you mean by that?

I censored it because of:

§6) No posting of explicit images
:butbut:

Abs

Ehrm..

wrong my console is 5 yrs old and for U.S. $ 400 bucks is a hell of a deal

Keep in mind I play on PC too but you need to invest at least double of that money to get a up/mid range PC

PC gaming ain't dying at all is just that ATM is not as popular like it used to back in the late 90's early 00

btw I still have my old 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, COMMODORE 64, 66 486dx, 133MMX, PIII 800 so in your eyes I'm not a gamer? I'm sorry but.......... and the people I play with on PC or console are my real life friends at work or soldiers at my Army reserve unit I don't have to go with the "immature & super-pissed users" and last time I saw there are plenty of those in the PC word too you know

Edited by ratoa

If you play a game to hell, master it, put huge amount of time and effort in the platform is irrelevant.

Someone who will pay the hell out of Skyrim on PC is no more "hardcore" then someone who will play it on xbox/ps3.

Also elitism in gaming is the lamest form of elitism around.

To me being a hardcore gamer isn't about some form of elitism, it's more a description of the time and effort many PC gamers put into getting the best experience possible out of their gaming. It's is similar to photography and the idea of an 'hardcore enthusiast' who uses a SLR with various lenses and settings, verses someone who simply uses a compact or a camera phone. The enthusiast cares about higher end hardware, and they spend time and effort researching to get the best out of what they do.

Hardcore PC gamers do the same, they spend on better hardware, but they also spend time in researching or even developing/adapting mods for games, Skyrim, which is coming with modding tools on the PC, will be a good example no doubt... I recently spent a chunk of time reading forums/sites and testing different mods to get Oblivion to look and play pretty sweet after buying it in the Steam sales for instance.

What do you mean by that?

Because everyone has a PC anyway, you don't save money by buying a seemingly cheap console instead of just upgrading the PC.

Oh, I don't get the whole hate on console or hate on pc thing!? I see the console as more than a gaming machine, especially when hooked up to a media box, and when gaming im chilled out on the couch, and the pc is workhorse and high end gaming!?

What's the point of it all? Guess I'm just old, last "fanboy" phase I went through was league over union but maybe not that's not hardcore enough for some here :)

Look mum, I'm a hardcore gamer... lulzz all day

To me being a hardcore gamer isn't about some form of elitism, it's more a description of the time and effort many PC gamers put into getting the best experience possible out of their gaming. It's is similar to photography and the idea of an 'hardcore enthusiast' who uses a SLR with various lenses and settings, verses someone who simply uses a compact or a camera phone. The enthusiast cares about higher end hardware, and they spend time and effort researching to get the best out of what they do.

Hardcore PC gamers do the same, they spend on better hardware, but they also spend time in researching or even developing/adapting mods for games, Skyrim, which is coming with modding tools on the PC, will be a good example no doubt... I recently spent a chunk of time reading forums/sites and testing different mods to get Oblivion to look and play pretty sweet after buying it in the Steam sales for instance.

Buying expensive hardware and spending time on forums doesnt make you a hardcore gamer.

I know a few keen mountain bikers, some of them have pretty average bikes they barley keep going but they love to ride the things and ride them to hell. I know some guys who have gone out and bought far more expensive bikes and twinkered with them all day, but they dont spend half as much time out on them.

So who's more hardcore?

Buying top hardware, tweaking, optimizing and modding doesnt make you a hardcore gamer. Gaming makes you a hardcore gamer. If you spend a lot of time on a game, you master it, you play it to hell you're more of a gamer then some guy with half as much playtime because he's been spending his time messing around with his PC and making mods. Just like the guy with the better bike he plays with but doesnt spend half as much time on.

Edited by ricbar89

wrong my console is 5 yrs old and for U.S. $ 400 bucks is a hell of a deal

While the hardware might last, the systems will cease being supported at some point, and then you can only do one thing with them; play older games (not that that's necessarily bad, but PC hardware can be recycled into newer systems). Also, (in my experiences) the newer consoles don't last nearly as long as the older cartridge-based ones. Thankfully, there are emulators for the PC that allow me to continue to play some of my favorite PS classics.

Keep in mind I play on PC too but you need to invest at least double of that money to get a up/mid range PC

I'm not sure that's so true (you don't need to get really expensive hardware to enjoy PC gaming) but even if it is, it's money better spent IMO.

btw I still have my old 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, COMMODORE 64, 66 486dx, 133MMX, PIII 800 so in your eyes I'm not a gamer?

What? How could you get that from my post? I play a lot of older consoles too dude. I never said console players aren't gamers. You are fabricating things I haven't said.

What I said (or at least meant to say) was that I find it funny when people who only play Xbox/PS with their friends describe themselves as hardcore gamers. I would laugh just as much if someone who only plays a few casual PC games calls themsevles hardcore gamers too.

Oh, I don't get the whole hate on console or hate on pc thing!? I see the console as more than a gaming machine, especially when hooked up to a media box, and when gaming im chilled out on the couch, and the pc is workhorse and high end gaming!?

What's the point of it all? Guess I'm just old, last "fanboy" phase I went through was league over union but maybe not that's not hardcore enough for some here :)

Look mum, I'm a hardcore gamer... lulzz all day

Am I hating on consoles if I say that consoles aren't as cheap compared to PC gaming as some might think?

It depends on what parts you buy, how well you look after them, and when you buy them. If you do it right, PC gaming is a hell of a lot more cost effective than buying a new console every time one comes out. PC games can also be a hell of a lot cheaper and you can get most of them in downloadable form these days.

What? How could you get that from my post? I play a lot of older consoles too dude. I never said console players aren't gamers. You are fabricating things I haven't said.

What I said (or at least meant to say) was that I find it funny when people who only play Xbox/PS with their friends describe themselves as hardcore gamers. I would laugh just as much if someone who only plays a few casual PC games calls themsevles hardcore gamers too.

Apologies.... I was in a hurry and misunderstood your post

Celery you can buy a brand new XBOX360 for US$ 199.00 prices dropped about year and a half, where I can get a netbook for the same price?

Zipper I agree with you PC gaming is cheaper but sadly I have my own reasons on why I don't like digital distribution