Sign in to follow this  
pendragonuk

Rein: PC gaming has "shot by" consoles

I think many of you are forgetting that Crysis was released in 2007. Can anyone tell me what the biggest game on consoles was in 2007? Based on sales, Halo 3 and CoD4.

Now compare Crysis at its max to CoD4 and Halo 3 at their max, and i think we can all agree PC is indeed that far ahead.

My 2 cents

For the price consoles works just fine

But would you buy a console if they sold them at a profit?

According to Nintendo the Wii hardware was never sold as a loss leader, also I remember reading a couple of years ago that the 360 was thought to be either zero loss, or making a (small) profit due to drops in manufacturing, economies of scale etc., don't know if that's still true with all the price reductions...

MrBump is right nintendo never sold at loss and the other 2 been making small profit for 2 yrs now. We have to keep in mind that gaming went mainstream a few years ago and most people playing consoles games don't care about overclocking, drivers or Team Speak 3 they just want a PNP solution.

And the 360 had how many issues with RROD? The Wii pushed any sort of hardware limits?

And the 360 had how many issues with RROD? The Wii pushed any sort of hardware limits?

The Wii wasn't about pushing HW limits, it was all about innovating gameplay.

Perhaps in its launch titles. After that, motion control (and the otherwise crappy Wiimote design) was more or less an obstacle for gameplay design that always had to be implemented in a viable way.

Edited by Celery

Crysis is not the best example of PC gaming. In my opinion, either BIS' games, the STALKER series or Minecraft are the 3 best examples of PC gaming at the moment and they're the ones I tell my friends/prospective gamers about before any others. I would include Half-Life 2, but The Orange Box went to consoles.

STALKER looks amazing in some areas and butt-ugly in others. The amazing parts come form a lot of the particle and post-processing effects, weather effects and some very cool DirectX 11 features in STALKER: Call of Pripyat like water-logged clothing or objects when it rains. However, it looks really ugly when you only look at the people and creatures as texture, model & animation quality are rather poor. Still, for the kind of game it is and the size of the studio behind it, it's a very big accomplishment in my eyes. The stories of the STALKER games are also quite intriguing and unique, but perhaps nothing overly original.

Before Crysis, however, nothing of that graphical capability had ever been made into a commercial game. It was a technological landmark if nothing else. It's development also created the technology we now know as Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, or SSAO, used in countless games since then. I believe OA even uses it on the higher post-processing settings. In every other aspect, Crysis was "okay".

I should point out when i say best example of PC gaming, i mean technically.

Crysis is the best example of what PC's can do.

STALKER could be done on consoles without to much issue (i get the impression from STALKER that its one of those games that didnt initially have high system reqs, but then the devs threw a load of bells and whistles on it rather inefficiently at a high cost in system req)

MineCraft? If its an example of what PC can do then god help them. :p

I had the RROD once in 5 yrs but MS took care of me with their 3 yr warranty

the good thing about PC's is that you can replace a DVD player or the memory sticks if something goes wrong but for $250-400 your average Joe can buy himself a console and play away without any hassle

My wife does have a Wii and she also believe is crap,to me the only games worth are their 1st party titles

let's keep this thread civil, I consider myself a GAMER that's why I play

with both (consoles/PC's) and I have been switching between the 2 since the ATARI 2600/Apple 2+ era <-----you can guess my age now lol

Edited by ratoa

My 2 cents

For the price consoles works just fine

If you compare the price/performance ratio of a console to that of a fairly good gaming PC, the consoles fail very hard. The PC I have should be really cheap now and yet it spanks my Xbox really bad.

I am an studying artist, not a console gamer, so the PC is a machine for let me work more than games, and drawing fan arts from games no matter PC or consoles.

Can you draw with console controller?

A PC with the same specs as a console can be had for the same price or less.

Overclocking is not a requirement of having a PC, nor is VOIP apps for games

drivers..... unless you're a tinkerer they are a no brainer either.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Originally Posted by DMarkwick

Motion controllers, gloves, visors....etc appeared in the early 80's.

The lack of available processing power was pretty much the main reason they didn't

take off back then.

The lack of available processing power was pretty much the main reason they didn't

take off back then.

That, and the fact that the simple fact of their existence doesn't constitute innovative gameplay :)

English man...Dollars also

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

That, and the fact that the simple fact of their existence doesn't constitute innovative gameplay :)

There was stuff that was good but the price was too prohibitive.

I remember a few Virtual reality cafe's in Toronto way back

FPS style shooters, flying simulators.....etc.

but they were competing against regular 25 cent arcades

and they were charging something like $5 for just a few minutes.

I wasn't aware that a big red EUR158,97 and Xbox 360 - Konsole Slim is so hard to understand :rolleyes: and i give a jackshit how much it is in $, as i do not pay via $

Again the average Joe have a a cheap US $500.00 laptop for internet browsing facebook etc and a console for playing games and that's a fact. btw last weekend I went to CompUSA and Best Buy and I saw most average Joe's crowding around tablet PC's, nobody was paying attention to laptops or desktops at these 2 stores I guess that's the way of future for mainstream people.

Again the average Joe have a a cheap US $500.00 laptop for internet browsing facebook etc and a console for playing games and that's a fact.

Which adds up to be more expensive than buying a single PC that does both. If you want a PC that plays all mainstream games these days well (because they're console ports) you can do it cheaper than the overall expense of a Console (which includes extra expense of games, controllers and online).

People still generally like a separation of their appliances. This is why fridges don't yet have a touchscreen PC built into the door. People, generally, like their gamey stuff to be separate from their filmy stuff, or their internetty stuff, etc.

This will change, but you have to realise that it will become somewhat dumber. Games left the PC, and now the internet, office, communications, films etc are coming to the console. I think the PC has a long life ahead of it yet, but in general it's separating out to PC flexibility vs console standardisation & ease of use. Each has their advantage & market.

I think he's pointing out youre talking nonsense. I could buy a new model 360 with a few games bundled for appox £180 (thats less then $300). I would like someone to find me a decent spec PC capible of playing PC counterparts for the same price...

MineCraft? If its an example of what PC can do then god help them. :p

Minecraft is a great example of how indie-friendly the platform is.

It is entirely possible to build a PC for about 300€ that will play pretty much any game out there today. You just need to lower the settings to the appropriate values. I know, because I've built several for friends and family, and Arma2 runs fine on my self-built HTPC in the living room.

The price of a PC is higher than a console because A: console makers subsidize their hardware (sell them below value) with the expectation to make it up with game sales, and B: a PC can do a hell of a lot more than just play games.

The question is simply whether or not you're more interested in a relatively hassle free gaming experience (consoles) or if you prefer to do more than just play games with your machine (PC). Neither is "better" in my opinion, it's just a matter of priorities.

It is entirely possible to build a PC for about 300€ that will play pretty much any game out there today. You just need to lower the settings to the appropriate values.

But why would anyone want to do that? Pay the same for a machine that will run a game like GTAIV like crap?

People make this claim about PC's being cheaper but its BS. They're not. For the same price as a console you'll be far worse off. Plus have a load of hastle like you pointed out too.