Sign in to follow this  
Pundaria

What do fortifications mean to our soldiers?

I see AI just stray off from fortifications like fences and bunkers. They rather fight in the open. In Arma 3, I hope this is changed!:)

As do I! I use mission editor a lot, and I always was upset when my soldiers would always just run out into the open and fight the oncoming force when the intention of the mission was for them to use the H-barriers and bunkers to gain a strategic advantage. It was rather upsetting :(

As do I! I use mission editor a lot, and I always was upset when my soldiers would always just run out into the open and fight the oncoming force when the intention of the mission was for them to use the H-barriers and bunkers to gain a strategic advantage. It was rather upsetting :(

Making the AI use cover like sandbag fences is a big pain in the ass.

I support.

An issue is that AI stick to formation quite strictly. Team units aren't very independent.

Changing this could make AI a lot more interesting, very quickly.

An issue is that AI stick to formation quite strictly. Team units aren't very independent.

Yeah, in real life, if a squad leader charges a tank the team likely won't follow.

In real life if a they get ambushed while on the way to complete their "waypoint" they won't take the straight line route.

Usually when I make defensive missions, I'll make sure that there are no defensive squads. Everyone is by themselves so to speak. Sometimes I'll even set a command for them not to move, but I haven't done that in a while.

The 'Take cover'/'Find cover' command should make the AI use cover or defensive positions and forget about formations

EDIT: I mean, it should make them do it. But they don't do it properly

Edited by vinc3nt

Usually when I make defensive missions, I'll make sure that there are no defensive squads. Everyone is by themselves so to speak. Sometimes I'll even set a command for them not to move, but I haven't done that in a while.

I did a defensive missions, I put guys behind sandbags without squads and let them just stand there. The problem came when the enemy appeard, the defenders started going prone and got stuck in the sandbags and couldnt fire, the enemy just stopped move and just firing at the sandbags.

I used to have that problem as well, but there is a command where you can make them "stand/kneel/prone"

Can't remember the exact line though, something like this setsomething stand/prone

That's how I used to make guys stand up in bunkers and fire.

I used to have that problem as well, but there is a command where you can make them "stand/kneel/prone"

Can't remember the exact line though, something like this setsomething stand/prone

That's how I used to make guys stand up in bunkers and fire.

It's setunitPos stand/prone.

I've been doing something like that too. Basically I give them all a DisableAI and use triggers to set their stances. Really, we shouldn't have to be doing something like this, AI should just naturally use fortifications and cover!

My missions used to be full of AI on this setunitpos "middle", usually behind carefully placed sandbag bunkers. Had to be careful though, because certain mods would often override it. It would be ideal if BIS geared the AI to make the best of cover and fortifications, even better if they had a defence-orientated waypoint or behaviour that prioritised the use of hard cover.

Edited by Daniel

It's setunitPos stand/prone.

No, it's either:

unit setUnitPos "UP"
unit setUnitPos "MIDDLE"
unit setUnitPos "DOWN"

The AI in ArmA cant defend, though you can use disableAI and setunitpos, and then use triggers to allow them to move again, so when the enemy is close they dont stand there without moving while the enemy passes right next to them.

This is the biggest single oversight in the AI of this game. Luckily, BIS devs have stated that a major focus is going to be 'teaching' the AI to use more tactics and gear.

This.

Same goes for an AI team on the offensive trying to enter/clear a house -individuals do far better then a squad that seem to get easily confused.

Order your team to Hide and formation is mostly disregarded. The command doesn't work too well, but it shows how the functionality for defense is there.

The AI seem too eager to follow formations inside small spaces such as towns... it often causes some to hang out in the middle of a street. Perhaps there should be a formation/behavior mode that would make them disregard formations and simply seek cover.

When you're getting shot at on some dusty street in Takistan, you don't care about formation, but rather about finding cover. Formations aren't very useful in close quarters combat.

The irony is that BIS made the AI stay in more "restricted" formations because people complained they weren't staying in formation, running off and doing their own thing lol

And formations do work in urban environments, they're just not implemented correctly ATM. Using something like a Box formation where half of the team is on one side of a street/road, while the other half is on the opposite side moving parallel, each side covering the opposite for threats. However, when clearing buildings it does seem best to just go solo

Edited by No Use For A Name

The irony is that BIS made the AI stay in more "restricted" formations because people complained they weren't staying in formation, running off and doing their own thing lol

Well if they simply stayed within 10-15m of the leader, they wouldn't get out of hand.

But as it stands, loosening formations can make the AI uncontrollable.

Here's something I just thought up: I remember from playing older games (Far Cry) that AI could utilize 'hidepoints' when doing something. And in Gears of War, characters used similar hidepoints and interacted with them quite well.

So what I've thought of is this:

5partexplanation.jpg

(If the image doesn't show up, link is here.)

This is a five-part explanation of how the Developers could create objects with AI anchorpoints and game logic that allows AI to take cover.

Shown in Part #1 of expanation, two soldiers on the 'safe' side of a H-Barrier are approached by OPFOR from the opposite side. Upon detection, their AI automatically chooses the closest area for cover. Each takes a corner that shields them from fire from the side which OPFOR is approaching. Using their strategic Combat Multiplier, they take out the enemies that approach. (Enemies, of course, can use cover on the opposite side of the Hbarrier. For the sake of easiness, lets say good guys win.) As soon as OPFOR is defeated, the good guys patrol the side that OPFOR came from.

Shown in Part #2, The soldiers are beside the Hbarrier. If OPFOR approaches from the North, they have the option of taking two equally close shelter areas (C,B and A,D). However, due to the OPFOR approach being from the north, C and D are ruled out from 'safe', and the good soldiers decide to shelter opposite of the OPFOR. They eliminate the baddies, and patrol the area.

Shown in Part #3, Two men outside of the safe area are confronted with an approaching OPFOR force with nothing but air between them and certain destruction. A flee mechanism would be in place to force the AI to flee behind the H-barrier and choose the safe location over points C and D. A and B are the only locations safe from the OPFOR, therefore the AI must flee there.

Shown in Part #4 is a scenario where an AI is stuck in between 2 H-Barriers (ignore the other AI in a safe zone in this case). The AI needs to make a choice to hide between A,B,C,D barrier, or I,K,L,O barrier. Due to distance, the AI chooses to hide between IKLO. This is because it is a meter closer than the other.

And finally, Part #5 explains what happens when a barrier is close to another barrier, offering no combat effectiveness for soldiers hiding at the intersection between them. The two points should simply be ruled out, if distance between them is X>5 or something.

Hope you guys thought my idea was well thought out, lol...

Lets just say that the AI can't follow formation when you want them to, and follow formation Too well when they should not.

Yea, I think the FarCry/Crytek way of doing it would be best, With Hidepoints/CoverPoints that could just be setup in the Objects Geometry and Extra Ones be set up in the Editor that When the AI Gets shot at, they will if Within a certain Distance take cover At that point

I Belive they also used the same kinda Hide/Cover Points in many RTS games, I think in CoH they used them quite well while still remaining in control of the Unit

I also think that anchorpoints would be the best option. They would particularly be helpful in urban environments making sure buildings are properly used for cover.

And I think explosion should get to those behind cover..... which in A2, I always end up dead from the explosion on the other side of the Big Bag fence.......