Sign in to follow this  
Meatball0311

MARSOC Marine Special Operations Team

Meatball, very nice work on these. A couple of questions/comments for you:

Using one of the four man assault teams, If you stand close to them and zoom in on their face, their eyeballs are moving a hundred miles an hour back and forth. I did not notice this with other unit addons.

Same four man assault team, RTO back pack is camouflaged, but I can see a large patch of the underlying tan back pack in the middle.

The ingame task bar icons are very nice, but when trying to select individual units with the "F" keys, I cannot tell which one is selected.

I am not at home right now, but will give you better details later. I didn't know if anyone else has the same issues.

Thanks for pointing those out.. the units are on speed. :) Just joking! I will look into it and the "F" key issue.

RELEASE DATE 24MAR2012

mar_MARSOC_V1.0

mar_marines by Meatball0311

mar_m4 by Meatball0311

======================

DISCLAIMER :

======================

I take no responsibility for (im)possible damage to your game/system that may be caused

by installation of this Addon. This Addon is also prohibited to be used in any commercial product.

===================================================================================================================

================

REQUIRED ADDONS:

================

* Community Based Addons (CBA)

* ArmA II Combined Operations

* mar_m4 (Included)

======

README

======

The units have been totally reworked, thanks to Binkowski for suppling me the new models. I did my best to make every unit have some differences, in hopes to create a more realistic feel. I arranged the gear in different positions and even modeled my own M4's (thanks to BIS and vilas for the example models) with the attachments placed in various positions.

Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC) comprises roughly of 2,500 Marines and sailors, and the base unit of MARSOC is the fifteen-man Marine Special Operations Team (MSOT), which is commanded by a Captain (O-3), and has three fireteams, a Navy Hospital Corpsman and a radio operator. I added an attachment of Scout Snipers to each MSOT.

I based my units off of the 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion (MSOB) / 1st Marine Special Operations Companies (MSOCs) Alpha, which consists of four Marine Special Operations Teams (MSOTs). mar_marines.pbo contains the first MSOT units. In the additional_teams folder there are the remaining three other MSOTs that would make a full MSOC. 1st MSOT is the Assault Element, 2nd MSOT is the Support Element, 3rd MSOT is the Security Element, and 4th MSOT is a Weapons Element. I separated them in order to give you the option of using all of them or not. If you do choose to use any other MSOT, you must also use the mar_marines.pbo.

All MARSOC units are equipped with mar_m4.pbo weapons. I modeled my own M4A3 weapons with different attachment placement to give a more authentic look to the units.

============

INSTALLATION

============

The PBO and Sign files in the archive need to be extracted into your ArmA/Addons folder.

However the mod folder method is the better solution.

Copy the following URL into your browser to view a Mod Folder Tutorial : http://tinyurl.com/armamodfolder

==============

SPECIAL THANKS

==============

Binkowski - for the new unit models and for being very helpful! Thanks Bro!

Vilas - for the models of the M4's

ardvarkdb, scubaman3D, DaSquade - for the awesome PVS-14 model

BIS - for making this awesome game and for suppling the example models. Thanks!

Johannes

STALKERGB

Fox '09

[GLT]Myke

====================

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION

mar_MARSOC_V1.0

====================

arma2oa2012032412042327.jpg

arma2oa2012032412090309.jpg

arma2oa2012032412061700.jpg

arma2oa2012032412074212.jpg

Edited by Meatball0311

Awesome, thanks for the update :) The new models look terrific as MARSOC units.

Oh dear god. The wife and me were supposed to go to the movies this evening.

Thanks for the update! The new units look awesome!

Edited by Nike619

Thank you for all your comments! Enjoy!

Thanks Meatball0311 :smile_o:

But why v1.0 ???

greetz

miller

Because I totally reworked the units and want to try and limit any confusion between the two different styles of models... Thanks for asking!

awesome work, although i kinda think i like the FastHelmets better. Just my opinion though. Either way these are sick. I also think it's awesome you modelled your own M4's as well. I love the ELCAN ones. Are you gonna do desert camo variants for the DMARPAT guys?

I want to like these very badly, as I run a 15 man MSOT with 2 man sniper detachment internal to The First 2 Fight.

The setup of the teams, the icons, and everything administrative is great! I like that you kept things realistic, and didn't slap mix matched uniforms on the guys unlike most super high speed tier 1 SF addons.

However I have a few points of interest that I feel could use improvement. I don't intend to bash, because overall it is great work, understand that. So please dont take this as over critical, or negative... I just want to vocalize what I see, and what changes I feel would make this a truly great addon.

Issue #1: The MARPAT fades very quickly at distance. I know at certain distances all camo fades to look like a single color, however I can easily pick out the pattern or MARPAT at least 60-70m if not farther in real life. With this, and binks other units, the pattern fades out as close as 10m, and makes the units looked washed out. Its not a huge issue, but if you were able to keep the pattern from fading out for a longer distance, that would improve the appearance a lot.

#2: The plate carriers look just painted on, again just a visual thing, but it makes the guys look flat. The pouches themselves are modeled on, and look good, but with the plate carrier just as flat as the blouse, it looks kinda odd.

#3: The boonie hats are a little too big on the light version guys. They should be scaled down a bit, and a little lower on the head. Part of me would also like to see a version with no headgear, since my team uses some addons that give us player editor selectable headgear. I personally like having the option, but dont know if enough of the community feels similar enough to warrant asking for a hat-less version.

awesome work, although i kinda think i like the FastHelmets better. Just my opinion though. Either way these are sick. I also think it's awesome you modelled your own M4's as well. I love the ELCAN ones. Are you gonna do desert camo variants for the DMARPAT guys?

Thanks! and yes I will add desert camo for the DMARPAT Marines probably in the next update.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I want to like these very badly, as I run a 15 man MSOT with 2 man sniper detachment internal to The First 2 Fight.

The setup of the teams, the icons, and everything administrative is great! I like that you kept things realistic, and didn't slap mix matched uniforms on the guys unlike most super high speed tier 1 SF addons.

However I have a few points of interest that I feel could use improvement. I don't intend to bash, because overall it is great work, understand that. So please dont take this as over critical, or negative... I just want to vocalize what I see, and what changes I feel would make this a truly great addon.

I will take yours and everybody elses comments to mind, but as always I cannot guarantee that they will be fixed. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Issue #1: The MARPAT fades very quickly at distance. I know at certain distances all camo fades to look like a single color, however I can easily pick out the pattern or MARPAT at least 60-70m if not farther in real life. With this, and binks other units, the pattern fades out as close as 10m, and makes the units looked washed out. Its not a huge issue, but if you were able to keep the pattern from fading out for a longer distance, that would improve the appearance a lot.

This seems to be probably an LOD issue and I will look into this.

#2: The plate carriers look just painted on, again just a visual thing, but it makes the guys look flat. The pouches themselves are modeled on, and look good, but with the plate carrier just as flat as the blouse, it looks kinda odd.

That would be a normal map issue and I can look at maybe improving it, but I don't see this as a top priority.

#3: The boonie hats are a little too big on the light version guys. They should be scaled down a bit, and a little lower on the head. Part of me would also like to see a version with no headgear, since my team uses some addons that give us player editor selectable headgear. I personally like having the option, but dont know if enough of the community feels similar enough to warrant asking for a hat-less version.

I remember back in my Marine days (2000-2004) the boonies did seem large, but that is just how they are. Now, I did have to scale them a little bigger, because the headset was poking through the top. You may have to live with this one, because I am probably not going to rework it.

I appreciate you taking the time and trying to improve on this. I will look into those issues and see if maybe they can be tweaked.

No worries Meatball, I dont expect changes, its your addon and its yours to make how you see fit. Just offering my opinion, and thank you for the reply.

Also, as far as you M4s, I would think they look better with optics being camo as well. Suppressed variants would be nice, and maybe even make an ammo box?

#1: It's called LODs and the UV maps. I've never had this issue, but according to some people it exists. So until we figure out a fix, you're just going to have to deal.

#2: They aren't painted on, in fact they are modeled on. I'm not sure where you are seeing the painted on effect in being as flat as the blouse. Unless you're looking at a lower LOD. And why you are looking at a lower LOD when the unit is close to you beats the hell out of me.

#3: That's the way the boonies are on the units, if you want I can send him over an old ArmA1 boonie model and out-dated UV map. I'm not a fan of selectable headgear for different reasons. But I'm one guy, not the community.

Those aren't me being a dick. I'm simply replying to what you have posted. If I can request a screenshot of issue #2, that would be good. To see what the issue that you are seeing is, and how to fix it.

Don't forget about the mipmaps. What are your computer specs Franklin?

2.8 gig i7 OC'ed to 4.03

12 gigs DDR3 ram

3 X GTX 260 OC'ed in SLI = 2.7 gigs of Vram

ASUS P6T6 mobo

2x intel 510 SSD in raid0

I have no clue why but I get this error while in game with your units Cannot Load mipmap mar_marines/data/characters/icon/i_msot_rfl_ca.paa (not just these but your other MARSOC Units to) and here is what is realy wierd thing, when i place your units in the editor it gives me this horrible lag while those icons (they apear as little blue squares) are on screen.

I have no clue why but I get this error while in game with your units Cannot Load mipmap mar_marines/data/characters/icon/i_msot_rfl_ca.paa (not just these but your other MARSOC Units to) and here is what is realy wierd thing, when i place your units in the editor it gives me this horrible lag while those icons (they apear as little blue squares) are on screen.

I have never seen that error before.. did you delete the older version?

Please only use the LATEST VERSION

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Also, as far as you M4s, I would think they look better with optics being camo as well. Suppressed variants would be nice, and maybe even make an ammo box?

There will be ammo boxes in the next update. As for the optics, not sure if they will get some paint.

Great units Meatball! Any chance of them getting on Six Updater? (:

I have never seen that error before.. did you delete the older version?

Please only use the LATEST VERSION

It is the latest version and Im running using CO lite (Arma 2 Free with Operation arrowhead, dont know if that has anything to do with it.) If you can't fix it though can I open up the PBO myself and change the mipmap image to default? If so what do I put or do I just erase somthing from the Config?

Great units Meatball! Any chance of them getting on Six Updater? (:

I sent Sickboy a message notifying him of the release.. I am sure he will update Six.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

It is the latest version and Im running using CO lite (Arma 2 Free with Operation arrowhead, dont know if that has anything to do with it.) If you can't fix it though can I open up the PBO myself and change the mipmap image to default? If so what do I put or do I just erase somthing from the Config?

I have not done any testing with or really know anything about CO lite. I would try to purchase ArmA II CO if possible. I guess you could try and delete the whole line that has

icon = "\mar_marines\data\characters\icon\i_msot_..._ca.paa";
on every unit. Or you could not use the units. Sorry bud. Edited by Meatball0311

Deleting the line does not seem to work. Thanks anyways for the awsome units. Ill just have to not put the marines in the mission last. And also I hate ordering online otherwise I would have a copy of ArmA 2+operation arrowhead and not just ArmA 2 free and Operation arrowhead.