Sign in to follow this  
nikiller

AI react to dead bodies

hi,

It was not implemented in ofp/ArmA. i.e: AI patrol pass near dead guy and haven't any reaction, it looks very unrealistic. I hope dead body detection and reaction will be in AmA3.

Discuss.

cya.

Nikiler.

hi,

It was not implemented in ofp/ArmA. i.e: AI patrol pass near dead guy and haven't any reaction, it looks very unrealistic. I hope dead body detection and reaction will be in AmA3.

Discuss.

cya.

Nikiler.

Probably best to include it in a module, but yeah, I agree too.

Pretty easy to implement I think (to the developers), increasing the knowabout. The hard part is the detection of dead bodies by the AI.

Operative;1976951']Pretty easy to implement I think (to the developers)' date=' increasing the knowabout. The hard part is the detection of dead bodies by the AI.[/quote']

Why would the detection of a dead body increase the knowsabout? A dead body gives you no information about who did it. (Well in L.A. Noire it does, but this is a milsimgame :p )

As default behavior? No.

Imagine you have some dead bodies around in your mission to represent a battle that has taken place... and your AI keeps freaking out about it.

You can have it as default behavior, but when you place dead bodies just put something like "this setcaptive true;" in their init to have AI ignore them.

Yeah, it would have to only affect certain sets of units defined by the mission maker. For example, if a patrolling squad came across a corpse from another patrolling squad or static guard, they would react as if their own squad had take an casualty.

Don't dead bodies have an age attribute?

When viewed with thermals they get colder with time.

That way only 'fresh' bodies would interest the AI...

What about also reacting to recently shot people on their side? Ie. you shoot someone in the chest a guy should try to aid them.

Also, would dead bodies in bushes be visible to the AI or would they need to be standing over it in that case? Also they would have to react in different ways. For example they would try to help a fallen comrade but they would kick a fallen enemy combatant (assuming they are not the nicest people.)

As default behavior? No.

Imagine you have some dead bodies around in your mission to represent a battle that has taken place... and your AI keeps freaking out about it.

Modules ftw.

hi,

Modules ftw.

Yes that was I was thinking about. Give ability to mission maker to use or not the dead bodies detection with a module.

cya.

Nikiller.

No, don't want it, not even as a module. Sounds like a bad implementation and not well thought out. Instead I would like to have one of the fsms (i.e. danger.fsm) set a flag when a body is detected and all these reactions set off a new eventhandler "reaction" with the following syntax:

this addEventHandler ["reaction", {_this execVM "yourscript.sqf"}];

_this contains:

0 - the parameters from the script (in this case, probably _body and _finder).

1 - script index (reaction no 1, reaction no 2).

2 - script name (i.e. danger.fsm).

3 - namespace origin (ca/modname, missionNamespace, playerNamespace).

I don't expect these to be used much in MP games, but could set off some nice handlers in SP games and campaign. A good example of use is a must, i.e. by dead bodies detection.

I´m a bit sceptical as to how this would be realized in a module. The situations in which the AI can encounter bodies are simply too diverse. For example, what happens if a patrolling AI gets run over by a civilian car? What kind of reaction are the enemies supposed to have in response to the body?

There´s been a few missions, especially in the OFP days, where the AI reacted to finding bodies, especially some of the mapfact missions.

But in every instance it was realized by a very dedicated scripting, which probably wasn´t generally applicable to every mission.

Agreed. This behavior is too sitatuation specific. IMO the EH idea or something similar sounds better, where the detection can be handled by the engine, but the reaction be scripted (in case no reaction is desired).

would be great to implement!

yeah. Also will be good when AI will say to It's leader : Found a body. One of ours - like in OFP 2 :D

Why would the detection of a dead body increase the knowsabout? A dead body gives you no information about who did it. (Well in L.A. Noire it does, but this is a milsimgame :p )

Yeah, good point. There must be some plausible workarounds.

Only if the reactions and further actions from AI are plausible and not somekind of randomized chaos. ;)

Only if the reactions and further actions from AI are plausible and not somekind of randomized chaos. ;)

Low skilled infantry could act more disturbed/irrational (I mean when the soldier interacts or looks at the dead body more often, not running around crying or anything) than higher skilled soldiers.

Edited by vinc3nt

this would be a nice AI behaviour. and about when this reaction can be, well, this could be done with careless, aware, combat, etc state of the AI, so, they check/see the dead body and alarm others or not. Also the faction of the dead body, civilian maybe dont care too much :s friendly yes, depending of the AI state and situation (under fire, patrolling, etc), and enemy dead body too, depending of the state

Don't dead bodies have an age attribute?

When viewed with thermals they get colder with time.

That way only 'fresh' bodies would interest the AI...

Yeah, this would be pretty cool, but I guess the temp of a body should only interest AI with thermals.

As long as it doesnt suffer the "once you set off a satchel charge all AI know where you are" type bug, then cool.

Probably best to include it in a module, but yeah, I agree too.

Definitely, as a module - theres plenty of times where you'd want them to ignore bodies, theres plenty of times where you'd want them to freak out and flee (stumble across an entire company wiped out, and you're not likely to want to stick around) or investigate (kill a sentry, and they shouldnt know instantly where you are, but they should send someone to investigate after a while...)

I would want it as default. It is really annoying when they just walk right past one. There could be a line of code (ignorethis true) to make them not pay attention to one if you want them to. I would say in 90% of cases you want them to react to bodies. There could also be a way to detect how they died. Bullet, explosion, hit by a car. They can react differently based upon that or you could write a script to check if one is hit by a car and make them not react.

hi,

I understand the complexity of the project due to the bunch of situation that can be met (time of day, weather, objects between the body and the revealer, revealer's skill, body killed by accident...)

If BIS doesn't implement it, I would like at least to have command or EH to allow the mission maker to script dead bodies detection. But it would be better to have "detect bodies" module with different kind of settings like ACM or ALICE and DS compatible.

The number of time I saw a patrol pass near dead guy or a guard killed 5 meters in front of a whole squad without any reaction is very anoying. I think, in some situation like stealth or behind enemy lines missions, it would add a lot to the gameplay. I am also conscious that in some other type of missions it can become a problem. That's why the module ON/OFF solution seems to be the more reasonable.

cya.

Nikiller.