Sign in to follow this  
jedra

Deep Sandbox 2 - Isla Duala

DEEP SANDBOX 2

Mission Type : Single Player Mission

Version : 2.1

Made some improvements and ported the mission to several islands...

All require CBA

Isla Duala - Requires Isla Duala

Lingor - Requires Lingor

CWR2 Everon - Requires CWR2 Demo

CWR2 Kolgijev - Requires CWR2 Demo

Malden 2010 - Requires Malden 2010

Sahrani - Requires CAA1

United Sahrani - Requires CAA1

UPDATE - Added I44 version

I44 - Chernarus - Requires Invasion 1944

The I44 version uses only I44 units. As it is based on the other versions, some, let's say, more modern equipment may have got left on the map. If you find anything like that it's probably due to a tear in the space/time continuum or something like that! Anyway, if you find anything that shouldn't be there then please let me know and I will remove it.

Alternatively you can download the Mega Pack which has all the missions (you will still need to download the dependencies seperately)....

MegaPack 1

MegaPack 2

Megapacks do not currently contain the I44 version - download that separately above.

The Readme

Note - On the Lingor Map, be careful if you use the Lingor Units - those Unisol Cyborgs can be a bit of a handful when 20 of them are dropped in by parachute. After a few days of testing, the best approach to tackle this situation is ..... RUN AWAY!

Mirrors Welcome

Armaholic mirror:

- Deep Sandbox 2 (Isla Duala) (@)

Requirements:

- Arma 2

- Isla Duala

- CBA

Game Dependencies : Arma 2 Combined Operations (Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead).

Mod Dependencies : Isla Duala

brg_africa

Mod Notes : This mission will use any other Unit, Weapon, Vehicle mods you have loaded and use them to build the unit/weapon/vehicle pools. I have tested it with no mods at all and also with over 100 mods loaded. Because it trawls through the configs at the start, the more mods you have, the longer it will take. On my machine, no mods takes a few seconds, 100 mods takes a couple of minutes.

COWARMod - Some of you may play with this mod. I have tested the mission with the mod running and although it works, it does lag somewhat. The reason for this is that the COWARMod is very script heavy and this mission is also very script heavy - some of the scripts take a while to run as the game engine struggles to schedule them. This note is in no way supposed to critisise the work done by Günter on COWARMod - he has done an incredible job bringing all those mods together!!

Mission Background.

This mission is based on the excellent Deep Sandbox Zargabad by Dmos

I liked this mission a lot and wanted to convert it to IceBreakrs's Isla Duala which is my favourite Arma 2 Island.

A lot of sweat and tears has gone into this and a lot of it is my own work, however without the following people, it would not have been possible.

Dmos - Without his original I would not have been inspired to do this. A lot of his work remains here and any mistakes are mine and mine alone.

Check out the original at : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=120399

Demonized - I raped and tortured his Paradrop Script to use my unit pools.

I raped and trotured his Paradrop Script some more to do vehicle and ammo drops also!

Various pieces of code from the BI Editing forum.

Monsada - I used the excellent UPSMON script for my unit Patrols. The version here is modified to also deal with players recruiting UPSMON controlled units.

Draper - I used his Air Support script for well, erm, the air support functions. I modified the version here to add actions to objects rather than the player. I also

modified it to Use BIS Advanced Hints rather than GroupChat.

Celery - His cleanup script and various snippets of code from the BI Editing forum.

Le2012 - I used his ammo box and armour parachute scripts - again modified here to do what I needed it to do.

Robalo_AS - Used the ASR_AI scripts for AI rearming and to beef up the AI.

Icebreakr - For Isla Duala and all his other Islands - Quality, quality, quality.

Bohemia Interactive - For making, maintaining, supporting and building on the best game ever. Words fail me as to how much I appreciate what you do.

Any ommissions are purely a mistake. If you see some of your work in this mission, please let me know and I will add a credit - and please accept

my apologies for forgetting to add the credit in the first place ;-)

Basic Premise :

• Isla Duala is split into 'hot zones' with action taking place around those zones. The zones with action are shown with red hatching. It's a big map so I had to split it up like this to give the player something to do and also to help with performance.
  • There are random 'events' that trigger occaisionally such as enemy and friendly troop paradrops, vehicle drops and weapon box drops.
  • There are other things hidden around like UAVs and static weapons - up to you to find and use them.
  • You will start in a random group with a loadout based on the config for that unit type. Your team will be of the same type of group. You may indeed start weapon-less - you'll have to find some.
  • There are weapon stashes dotted around the place.
  • You get credits for killing enemy units and armour - although as yet the system for spending them has not been built.
  • There are other surprises hidden around the island.
  • You can team switch between members of your units.
  • You can recruit any friendly forces you encounter.
  • It utilises UPSMON for the AI patrols (both OPFOR and BLUFOR).
  • Ability to call in precision air strikes and CAS missions if you find the control terminals!

For List Of Version Updates and known issues please see readme in the latest download

Known Issues

• If the player moves around the map too quickly, AI units great spread out losing the intensity of the battles.
  • Some of the ammo crates dropped are not very useful - need to try and see of I can control this via the configs. If not, you will just need to hope you get a good one!
  • The player is very occaisionaly not resurrected after death - probably due to script load - am working on this.
  • Healing system does not always work as intended. Because I am using Dmos' original system I have probably broken it doing other stuff!!
  • I have hacked and slashed a few scripts to get this going quickly - need to clean them up and add proper comments in case someone un-pbo's it.
  • There is an warning when first loading - 'Cannot load ca\air\data\optika_heli_tl.paa' - I suspect this is one of the Vanilla Helos as it does not happen if ACE is loaded.
  • Respawn Parachute sometimes drops you into the ocean - you'll have to put up with the swim until I sort this out.
  • Sometimes the player loses the group leadership and then then grabs it back again, only to lose it again, only to grab it back again etc. Team switching usually resolves this. This may be fixed now.

And Finally

I have played, built, tested (rinse and repeat) this for a few weeks now and I think I have found most of the issues. However these things never really get tested until they are out there. Please let me know if you find any issues. Also suggestions would be useful as I intend to develop this a bit further and perphaps convert it for the CWR2 islands.

There's still some tweaking to be done as sometimes I find it too hard and sometimes too easy. Again suggestions would be good.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Edited by Jedra
Updated Version Released

Cannot load ca\air\data\optika_heli_tl.paa - this is caused when using Hitcher's UFOs with zetaborn aliens... I'm unable to fix that in p3d as I don't have MLODs.

Tnx Jedra for mission, will try it out with my team.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

I'm sure that even with the bugs it's not going to be an issue enjoying this release. I'll help you find them so that you can squish them. Or hit them with an artillery strike. Or napalm. Or something...

Downloaded it already this morning, but it's a very full day, so I won't be able to take a crack at it till later this evening.

Can't wait!

And Icebreakr, the great island maker himself is here to grace us with his presence. I don't think that I've told you this yet, but I'm a huge admirer of yours. Thank you for all of your hard work for the community. :notworthy:

I'm pretty sure that Jedra's intentions are to keep the mission focused on featuring probable combat experiences, so (going out on a limb here, Jedra correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure that he didn't setup any parameters for the alien spacecraft nor for the aliens. But maybe in the future he could release an alternate version featuring them?

This island is so great. It lends itself well for so many different immersive scenarios, whether there are aliens or not.

It would be kind of cool if some day this type of dynamic mission could be released featuring more fantastic elements, but ArmA II right now is pretty limited in that department. We have the awesome Predator units, and the recently released Halo units too, but they're setup to be so tough against conventional small arms fire that it makes playing with those units, in my opinion, not very fun. Don't get me wrong, they should definitely be tougher than a normal, modern day human, but if it takes more than 30 rounds to kill them, well, it just feels "tedious" to me.

Now, if someone would port over the Terminator units that were released for ArmA, and maybe some xenomorphs (from the Aliens franchise), then we would have a very interesting mix and range of forces to encounter in a dynamic environment.

Got to run. Feedback later after I've had time to jump into the dynamic waters of Isla Duala... :bounce3:

Aliens in a serious combat mission - never.

Any reports of aliens will be strenuously denied as a hoax. Any photographic evidence (or screenshots) will be outed as fakes. Those making such ludicrous claims will be brought in for 'questioning' and from then on will only be seen playing Call of Duty in a zombie like state.

Check these MARSOC Marine units out!

I can't help but conclude that they'd be perfect for this Isla Duala endeavor...

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14729

Wow! They look great!

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

will only be seen playing Call of Duty in a zombie like state.
Hah! Is there any other state of mind that one can play Call of Duty in?

If one wasn't a zombie beforehand, one will be a few minutes into it.

;)

Just reporting that I had but one chance to test the mission out, and here are my results.

I spawned with four teammates, two of which were unarmed without any kind of assault rifle. I didn't see any kind of ammo crates nearby, so I made one the driver and the other man the machinegun.

Drove to the red-hatched zone, where we were brutally struck down by a Shilka. I wasn't able to exit before this occurred.

The now-classic "three days later" text appeared and I faded to white but...

...when I faded back in, my body was now at the back of the Landrover where it was initially destroyed, feet down near the machinegun's base (where it's anchored), and my avatar's upper torso was bent over, so I resembled an upside down "L." I couldn't exit the burning vehicle, nor move, nor produce a GUI to interact with. I had to do Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get back to my desktop.

And that was it for tonight's playing.

Hi,

Kyle - I have found several bugs in the last 24 hours and spent all yesterday fixing them. One of them causes the game to freeze when you get killed in a vehicle (it actually gets stuck in a very tight endless loop) - I think I have resolved this, but need to do more testing. I will release version 1.1 today with about 10 other bug fixes included. I have also tweaked a few other things and cleaned some of the code up.

Jedra,

Ever since I participated in some VERY mild coding for the original ForceMod III for Jedi Knight Jedi Academy, I have been in awe of what programers can achieve. From my perspective, seeing my avatar severely bent at the back end of that Landrover, well, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for the problem that caused that, let alone be able to conceptualize a solution for it. That you guys can handle such craziness is pretty amazing.

Looking forward to your next release.

Hi All,

I have posted an update to this mission in the first link in the first post. Updates are as follows;

V1.1 - This version.

Fixed in this version.

* Some Vehicles were spawning in buildings/objects - moved them around.

* When using ACE and not using Inko Missiles a script error occured.

* When a player died in a vehicle the respawn got into an endless loop.

* Some Zones were not triggering correctly.

* Some zones were not clearing correctly.

* Unarmed Friendlies and Enemies are now given a weapon (note, this does not count if they are in your fireteam!).

* UPSMON was surrendering enemies too easily.  Switched off the surrendering ability as this was causing problems elsewhere too.

* ACE earplugs now have to be manually fitted (they will still be added to your gear).  Auto adding was causing a problem with the latest Beta of Arma2.

* Parachutes and other non-flying vehicles no longer get spawned as planes.

* Lots of performance improvements - completely re-worked how the arrays were checked - there should be less pauses and a few more FPS.

* Tweaked the number of units spawned on each side - should make for more intense battles.  If the desire is there, I will make these user controlled parameters.

* Fixed a lot of action menu problems.

Issues Remaining.

* Still some stuttering.  There are a lot of scripts running and this may be the cause, it may also be the number of explosions happening when the battles are full on.

* Sometimes the action menus get corrupted still.  Usually fixes itself after a re-spawn.  Trying to track this down!

* If you die just as a new fireteam is being sent, the group gets split into two fireteams.  It's a timing issue which I am trying to fix.  It is not a game breaker though.

* Planes and helos without weapons get spawned - trying to find a non script heavy of not spawning these.

* Some planes never run out of fuel causing them to stay around until they are shot down.  If the sky fills with these planes and they are all unarmed then no more planes get spawned!  Doesn't happen very often.

* After re-spawn you still get dropped in the ocean sometimes.  Going to change the drop style to HALO so you can steer your way clear.  Not sure how the AI cope with HALO jumps though!

Please let me know if you find any issues.

Cheers

Jedra,

I had to laugh when I read this:

* Some planes never run out of fuel causing them to stay around until they are shot down. If the sky fills with these planes and they are all unarmed then no more planes get spawned! Doesn't happen very often.
Now, I'm sure that you don't think it's too funny, but I chuckle because it's another example of some of the craziness that can occur when doing these mods. At least this one's fairly obvious; it's the subtle, hard-to-detect ones that are the real headaches.
* After re-spawn you still get dropped in the ocean sometimes. Going to change the drop style to HALO so you can steer your way clear. Not sure how the AI cope with HALO jumps though!
If my memory serves me correctly, not too well. But perhaps I'm confusing this with regular parachute drops. I know that in the last build of Deep Sandbox, I saw 25-35% of my teammates getting crushed to broken pieces against buildings and trees :mad: , but that may have been due to the drop height; it might have been too low. I had saved my game just before the parachuting began, and I reloaded numerous times, and each time it was the same: roughly 25% of my team killed by how they landed, and a bunch more wounded. I guess there's only one way to find out for sure how the AI handle full blown halo jumps, and that's to try it out.

I don't know how much work it would be, but to say that I really enjoy the wide range of Player-adjustable options that thomsonb generously supplies in his superb Flashpoint series of dynamic missions is a severe understatement. There are so many obvious advantages to using such a system, that I'm not going to bother to point them all out here, but one that I will highlight that's relevant to what you stated above is that it's probable that if a Player desires to specify what it is he wants to experience in his dynamic mission, he's most likely reducing the number of variables that come into play, thus also reducing the workload on the computer, supplying better performance.

It's safe to say that you did do a ton of work for this update. I'm going to download it in a bit, and give it a go later tonight. :yay:

Hi,

I have no idea why the planes are not running out of fuel - may be script load as they seem to use fuel correctly when I tested in a clean editor session. I noticed also last night that they may not be 'going back to base' when they run out of ammo. I will work on this.

The parachutes seem to fair better with ACE loaded rather than vanilla - perhaps it's because they use different chutes in ACE. Will try the HALO thing though as it's hard to get a drop zone not near water! I also saw a steerable parachute script somewhere so I might try that.

With regard to user configuration - I will not go too far down that line as there are already a number of Sandbox missions out there that are fully configurable and I will never be able to devote enough time to make this as good as those. I'll probably add a few things though as depending on the mods loaded it can get very hard or very easy quickly. It would make sense for the user to be able to tweak a few things themselves.

I'll fix the bugs first though...

Jedra,

I was surprised to find that when I spawned that I was a member of a Spetsnaz team, which would've been fine, but it was strange due to us spawning right next to an American Stryker.

I struggled with determining on which side of the battle I was on. U.S. forces didn't attack us, and then we took control of an abandoned Linebacker, with me being the Commander. As we drove about, the crew fired the Linebacker's weapons against Russian forces. I can't be 100% sure of this, due to the viewing distance that I had, and how frequently the buildings were obscuring my third person view.

To figure out better what was going on, I exited the Linebacker, leaving the crew inside to operate it. From what I was able to determine, my Spetsnaz-dressed crew were firing on Russian units, but again I'm uncertain due to the fact that they fired every single time I was on the opposite side of a wall. Talk about frustrating! Yet every time I rounded the corner, the dead infantry were all Russian, so I feel pretty secure in my assumption.

Shortly after going on foot. the game crashed to desktop. Below is the link to download the arma2oa.RPT document. I hope it helps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ok8t54c955xjcfv

Hi Kyle,

I had a look at your rpt file and it actually crashed on a DirectX Sound call - probably one of the mods you have loaded.

As for starting as a Spetsnaz - I am confused about this as it can't happen if that is an EAST unit. The units are split into WEST, EAST and RESISTANCE based on the config entries, and in this mission the player can never be EAST. Can you remember what colour your icon was on the map? It should have been green or blue (RESISTANCE or WEST).

My only thought is that one of your mods has the Spetsnaz units listed as WEST or RESISTANCE in their configs as if you were EAST the US Forces would have attacked you immediately.

It's hard to tell from your launch line what exact mods you have loaded as I think you have combined some in general mod folders? Two I saw which I have not tested against are the STALKER and SCI-FI mods - and there was you complaining about MY aliens ;-)

I did notice that your report file has a lot of errors for the RHS_HIND - is this mod OA compatible as it kicks out 1000's of lines of errors?

Also, there are a lot of warnings about mods loaded twice (str_ep1 being one of them). You need to make sure that if you do have the same PBO's in different folders that they are at least the same versions.

You are also getting a lot of MandoMissile errors - best to check if you have an up to date version.

In conclusion there is nothing in the report that would suggest why you were playing as a Spetsnaz, although I am pretty sure it was probably either a unit that looked like a Spetsnaz, or that mod has the config set to RESISTANCE or WEST.

I am currently producing a version that does not use UPSMON as I have found that as good as that module is, in a script heavy mission like this, it causes the game to pause every minute or so. The new version does not pause, but some of the cool UPSMON features are missing (such as the ability for units to mount vehicles and static weapons). However used in conjuntion with a good AI mod like ASR_AI, it does work well. I'll try it with Zeus and GL4 also.

All,

The latest version (2.0) is now linked in the first post. This is likely to be the final version as interest is low (not a complaint, merely an observation!) and I need to get on with my Duala campaign.

I have really enjoyed putting this together though and I actually play it a lot myself (how's that for extreme narcissism!!). Again, I have learnt a lot and after six-months of scripting in Arma I am still learning every day.

One of the things that struck me while doing this is the endlessly different terrains and battlefield opportunities that exist on Isla Duala. Hat's off to Icebreakr - it really is a great island with enourmous flexibility.

Anyway, the changes for this version are as follows;

V2.0 - Final

* NOW REQUIRES CBA - Community Based Addons.

* Removed UPSMON - causing too many pauses due to heavy amount of scripts running.  Now using a modified version of BIS_Task Patrol.  Suggestion is to use your favourite AI mod alongside - tested with ASR_AI.

UPSMON is still included in the PBO and can be switched back on again with by setting some globals to true in the init.sqf...

USEUPSMONPLANES = false;  // Do Not Use UPSMON for planes - set to true to use.
             USEUPSMONVEH = false;     // Do Not Use UPSMON for vehicles - set to true to use.
             USEUPSMONUNITS = false;   // Do Not Use UPSMON for units - set to true to use.

* More Performance Improvements.

* Fixed the problem with multiple switchable teams being created.

* The respawn para jump is now a HALO jump - you can now steer away from water!

* The random events are now on a random timer rather than via placed triggers.

* Fixed an issue where random events were being triggered continually.

* Spawned Planes now use fuel properly.

* Added a few more 'hot zones' and changed some starting positions.

* Added a few more ammo caches in hot zones.

* Added a few more random vehicles and a few more place choppers and planes.

* Tweaked the random events and added more informative advanced hints.

* Removed all Pistols from AI and player - the pistol bug (still present after 2 years!) was hacking me off!  BIS say the fix for this is in the next release - they have been saying that since it was reported though ;-)

Issues Remaining.

* When a lot of AI are on the map the HALO jump suffers from lag - make sure you open your chute early if your FPS is running low unless you want to cover all of the battlefield at the same time!

* Sometimes the action menus get corrupted still.  Usually fixes itself after a re-spawn.  Trying to track this down! Still can't get to the bottom of this!

Anyway I hope someone finds some enjoyment out of this. I will probably continue to tweak it for myself and if I do anything to it that I think people will be interested in, I will release it here. I'll also fix any major bugs should anyone report any!

Regards

Jedra

Hey man, good work.

I'm having a problem with goals and objectives.

I understand I should live as long as I can, but I don't know what to do besides kill kill and kill or be killed.

Are there cities or bunkers to capture?

CTI sort of thing?

Hey man, good work.

I'm having a problem with goals and objectives.

I understand I should live as long as I can, but I don't know what to do besides kill kill and kill or be killed.

Are there cities or bunkers to capture?

CTI sort of thing?

The kind of idea here is that there are no real goals or objectives (following the ethos of Dmos' original version). However, due to the size of Duala there are 'hot zones' on the map where the action is concentrated - as you move towards one of these zones, enemies will begin to spawn there.

There are also Sat Phones hidden around (in tents) that you can call for Air Support. There are are also a few UAV terminals dotted around that you can use.

You can recruit any friendly forces you encounter also.

So, really it's a sandbox with a few guides (zones). There's no such thing as a 'win' as when all the zones are cleared they simply re-set. It's not perfect by any means, but if you like this kind of thing then you should enjoy it. A friend of mine hates this kind of thing - he prefers set objectives, but that's the beauty of Arma - it's perfect for any type of mission!

I am currently doing a quick conversion for Everon (CWR2) for a mate which I will post up when it's done.

Quick update....

There will be another outing for the Deep Sandbox 2. Sometime tomorrow I will release a pack with DS2 converted for the following Islands...

CWR2 - Everon - will require the CWR2 demo

CWR2 - Kolgujev - will require the CWR2 demo

Malden2010

Sahrani - will require CAA1

United Sahrani - will require CAA1

Lingor

Isla Duala (update)

and maybe a couple of others if I have time before I have to go and drink beer!

I have also made some performance upgrades, including

• A significant FPS gain from previous versions. I improved some of the cleanup routines.
  • ACE Halo jumps if you have ACE.
  • I have reworked some of the scripts and documented the main variables in case anyone wants to de-pbo it and tweak a few things.
  • Other stuff - there must be - I was working on it all bloody day!

Until tomorrow then...

Another update - see first post.

Missions are currently uploading to my server, please give it ten minutes from this post time! The Mega Pack might take 30 minutes or so to get there....

Had to split the mega-pack into two to get it onto the server. Serves me right for using web-space, should have used my server instead, but there you go! Should be there in 30 mins.

Edited by Jedra

Thank you very much for your mission , i had quite some fun with it lately and i'm glad it worked with ACE , however i have one question please :

How can you get you get rid of the accelerated time ? i'd like to have normal time where 1 second is one second , cause currently , night and day switch way too fast for me , often making it pointless to use a scoped weapon , except the M110 NV

Would be nice to know what i need to change in order to have realistic time flow , thanks a lot ;)

Thank you very much for your mission , i had quite some fun with it lately and i'm glad it worked with ACE , however i have one question please :

How can you get you get rid of the accelerated time ? i'd like to have normal time where 1 second is one second , cause currently , night and day switch way too fast for me , often making it pointless to use a scoped weapon , except the M110 NV

Would be nice to know what i need to change in order to have realistic time flow , thanks a lot ;)

If you are happy breaking open the pbo then look for 'init.sqf'. Then find the line that reads...

_null = [10] execVM "skiptime.sqf"; 

If you change the value 10 to 1 then time will pass normally.

Glad you are enjoying it. I like it too - it's good for practice if nothing else!

Currently working on an I44 version in Chernarus.

If you're not happy breaking open the PBO then let me know - I'll 'up' a special version with no fast time...

Edited by Jedra

Added a version for I44 - Chernarus....

I44.jpg

Check out the first post for the link.

If you are happy breaking open the pbo then look for 'init.sqf'. Then find the line that reads...

_null = [10] execVM "skiptime.sqf"; 

If you change the value 10 to 1 then time will pass normally.

Glad you are enjoying it. I like it too - it's good for practice if nothing else!

Currently working on an I44 version in Chernarus.

If you're not happy breaking open the PBO then let me know - I'll 'up' a special version with no fast time...

Thanks a lot Jedra ! Very kind of you to take the time to explain me , cheers mate :)

Edit : ok i tried to edit and it works , however you need to change value to 0 to have perfect real time ( i tried to change value to 1 but then 1 second in real life meant 2 seconds in game ) , thanks ! :)

Edited by Ians