Sign in to follow this  
Archosaurusrev

Clean your computer, people!

Dorph;1976756']Ahh ok i just didnt know that cpu's would throttle down if getting too hot' date=' i always thought they would shutdown.[/quote']

Hehe...shutdown is the "last line of defense" so to speak. So if you don't get the expected FPS and your CPU temps seems to be still good enough, check if the CPU really runs at full speed and the "good temperature" is not already a result of the throttling.

But it isn't a usual source of bad FPS, one should just know it could be a source amongst others.

While i have heard of CPU's throttling down when too hot on many online forums, i have yet to see it happen once(While PC's shutting down due to overheating is something i come across quite often). What would be the name of this feature so i have something to google?

AFAIK you only gain stability, and more OC potential.

While i have heard of CPU's throttling down when too hot on many online forums, i have yet to see it happen once(While PC's shutting down due to overheating is something i come across quite often). What would be the name of this feature so i have something to google?

AFAIK you only gain stability, and more OC potential.

Dynamic frequency scaling

Cool 'n Quiet throttles on CPU load, not temperature. I am not really familiar with Speedstep, but afaik (and from what i just read) it's also based on load, not temperature.

I have to vacuum the shit out of my PC every week thanks to a shitload of high cfm fans for my radiators, Mrs Liquid on the other hand gets to hoover up less because my PC has already filtered out the house.

I know when it's cleaning time as I will start getting BSODs as the rads can't shift the heat quick enough when they get dusty.

you really dont want to do this. by using a hoover you can actually suck up tiny components which will ruin your system.

best to use a tin of compressed air to blow the dust out. hoovers and pcs arent a good mix.

Cool 'n Quiet throttles on CPU load, not temperature. I am not really familiar with Speedstep, but afaik (and from what i just read) it's also based on load, not temperature.
It is also used for reducing heat in insufficiently cooled systems when the temperature reaches a certain threshold, such as in poorly cooled overclocked systems.

Cool'n'quiet is advertised, throttling is not. I think it doesn't sound good for average customers if they would say "it makes your PC slower". :D

Higher FPS from cleaning out dust bunnies.

Never heard that one before.

Thanks for the laugh

jblackrupert. He never said he gained FPS, only got back what he was missing. Read the above posts for explanation.

I think there were more issues then dust interfering with the cooling of the CPU.

40-60 dropping to 15fps?

"Extreme PC noob here, I don't even know WHAT defragging does. I'm familiar with the name although."
nuff said

Myke;1976912']Cool'n'quiet is advertised' date=' throttling is not. I think it doesn't sound good for average customers if they would say "it makes your PC slower". :D[/quote']

Well, i would have to recheck when i get home on monday. Of course i may be wrong and this feature is be enabled on Phenom II's, however its present but disabled on older AMD's.

EDIT:http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/935591-what-temp-does-phenom-ii-throttle-2.html

Phenom II's do not throttle based on temperature. Ever.

However i was mistaken about Speedstep, Intels do throttle down in a certain way based on temperature.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I never said that the game would get more FPS I just explained that the hardware will perform better at lower temps. It won't shut down your PC like you explained if it is kept clean, thus performing better. Hardware that shuts down your PC because it gets too hot is not performing good, because it shouldn't get that hot in the first place.

I wasn't quoting you, i was talking to the op :)

I know this is off topic but i have been looking into water cooling for my next pc (arma3) and was looking at some of the rads the're selling on ebay at crazy prices :eek: so though i would give anyone thinking of going down this root a tip, use a car matrix for your rad seen them on ebay for a vw pole, golf, £20 and free post and its bigger than most pc rads 4"x10" i think of the top of my head

you really dont want to do this. by using a hoover you can actually suck up tiny components which will ruin your system.

That's a myth I'd like to see proven. The motherboard and the components attached to it are pretty solid pieces with no particularly loose parts. Compressed air just blows the air in another direction, so I don't see how that would be less likely to detach these tiny parts, especially when the air is blowing that much harder.

well if you have virus/malware issues you can try this antivirus, it's limited trial but it's a full version. Just register and they will email you the username password to connect to their update server.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-trials/endpoint-security-and-data-protection.aspx

Get the Antivirus + Firewall.

it's free update for 1-2 months but it's a full working version. Pretty expensive tho and they dont seem to sell it to home user.

If you use win7 do an image backup and restore it back when win is getting sluggish. Remember to save the stuffs to other place 1st tho.

I usually do a regular cleaning for my CPU, GPU and my casing fans. Overheated GPU or CPU will get you BSOD or the weird white blank screen with game sounds in the background while playing games.

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

best to use a tin of compressed air to blow the dust out. hoovers and pcs arent a good mix.

yeah this might happens if you are inexperienced and just roughly poke your vacuum nozzle in your pc components.

Use a brush to clear all the dust on the mobo then you can use a vacuum after all the dusts are at the corner of the casing. You can also use alcohol to clean it further if you want it to be shiny clean.

I dont think people do this anymore with the current attitude of changing PC every ~3 years. I used to clean VCR and TV this way last time since people are using it for up to 10 years and you can find some weird stuffs in it too XD

Edited by gunso

Guys, all you need is IObit Advanced System Care plus their own free Smart Defrag 2.

Smart Defrag will constantly work in the background when cpu usage is low keeping the files always defragged, plus allows you to perform boot time defrag whilst start up to defrag files that are only movable then. Btw, this software is so fast at what it does you won't noticed an increased boot time either!

Advanced System Care, well you just should check it out, it unbelievable everything it does. My computer feels brand new everyday i use it because of this software!

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcarepro.html

I think there were more issues then dust interfering with the cooling of the CPU.

40-60 dropping to 15fps?

nuff said

Depends on the cause of the FPS Drop. I've seen a graphics card get too hot because it was too dirty. So it underclocked itself and led to lower FPS.

Shit happens when you do not at least look inside the case periodically. :D

dead_rat_pc.jpg

Epic link :D ;)

Erm...BigBear, 13GB.com does not allow hotlinking. And i'm affraid that you are considered now as "noob" throughout this forum. :D

:EDITH:

Shit happens if you don't use "preview" on your posts periodically. ;)

Myke;1981352']Erm...BigBear' date=' 13GB.com does not allow hotlinking. And i'm affraid that you are considered now as "noob" throughout this forum. :D

:EDITH:

Shit happens if you don't use "preview" on your posts periodically. ;)[/quote']

I did preview and was prepared to host the pic from 1 of my own domains if needed.

But if it didn't show up for you....

dead_rat_pc.jpg

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

I did preview and was prepared to host the pic from 1 of my own domains if needed.

But if it didn't show up for you....

Oh i see, PC crashed because Operator died. :D

Myke;1976689']I think by "clean your Computer" he doesn't think mainly about defragging but about things like this:

graka-009_k.jpg

pc-001a_k.jpg

sonst-006_k.jpg

Yes, things like that.

Do you fucktards even READ the post? Guess not -.-. /mad

Also to add, jb is an idiot. I even said I'm not very tech savvy and then he goes and insults me.

Edited by Archosaurusrev

Doesn't look like dust ... look more like pubes! You been looking at pr0n ?

Well ok, not exactly like that :D.

Oh boy. Just wow... I'm kinda speechless.