Sign in to follow this  
*LK1*

FCS for helicopters.

how would you like to shoot your dildos.  

87 members have voted

1. 1. how would you like to shoot your dildos.

• i would like to see the first solution suggested
    • the second solution
    • both
    • i feel good with the current system avaible in arma2/OA
    • Targetting view mode with zoom TDC slew, ground stabilise/lock/lase

That's not what I said. Each weapon, each fire control system, and each aircraft should have the correct method of guiding in their missiles. How high the fedility is on this is up to BIS, I don't expect a significant jump from Arrowhead. But I agree, missiles that are manually guided, such as the Hind's Shturm, should be manually tracked by looking down the optics and keeping the mouse on or leading the target; essentially the method already available in game, but not necessarily assigned to that weapon (BIS' fault through ignorance or design choice). The TAB key system already works for fire-and-forget systems, it's just a matter of tweaking range, scope and time-to-lock to make it realistic per platform.

Is there anything there you disagree with?

mmm no.

How would you do it then? Perhaps I oversimplified there, the "Tab" system works for Longbow FCS at least.

mm for the longbow it could stay as it is right now with some correction.

for a normal apache or for a cobra you can implement the "Targetting view mode with zoom TDC slew, ground stabilise/lock/lase".

Noob question time: what does TDC stand for?

We have been waiting for something closer to real life when it comes to tanks' and helos' weapon systems since a looong time. I think it's high time BIS introduced proper FCS simulation in ArmA3. I'm not a dev and I don't know anything about making games, but I think such things should be doable since the modders can implement them already. I'm not asking for uber complexity, the community will take care of it.

edit: I'm also a big fan of the more sophisticated tank/helo DLC idea.

Edited by funnyguy1

you know what? take a look at this poll i made 1 year ago:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=98572

i gave to the people 3 different ways to replace the current crappy and arcade tab system on tank with something more realistic.

well 95% of the people voted for something different from the current tab system which is pretty much a radar.

5% voted for "dont change anything from the game". and a lot of people voted. does bis is planning to change something with the FCS of tanks?

of course not.

when the first interview about arma 3 came out they pointed up they dont want to change how the tanks works to hold the game simply as it is.

which of course is not a coincidence;each 6 mounths, from ofp times, there is someone asking for a realistic FCS for tanks. including me.

using vehicles is an huge part of the fun that you can have by playing this game. but right now you have just to sit on the top of 1 hill and pressing TAB

and you can lock targets like a frikkin longbow.

and what make me disappointed is that making tanks and their fcs more realistic doesnt means adding more complexity on the game. cuz tanks are not complicated as an airplane.

so....people is asking for a simulator from 2001 with tons of polls and posts but nothing is changed. oh well in fact is changed the radar: it was a quadrate on the top of the screen now is a circle on the left side of the screen.... :o :rolleyes:

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

Noob question time: what does TDC stand for?

Target Designator Cursor.

Its the thing you move to lock onto a target like the crosshairs for the ULB when using it to hit targets. Its also the cursor you would use to lock a radar target if doing A/A against another aircraft using radar. So instead of cycling tgts using TAB you would move a cursor to the specific tgt and push lock.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

back on topic, since i cant edit the poll but only the thread, is it possible for any moderator to add option 5?and....would you guys want to see any other option on the poll?

option 5:

Being the person who started the topic you should be able to edit your 1st post which might allow you to add extra option to the poll.

Target Designator Cursor.

Its the thing you move to lock onto a target like the crosshairs for the ULB when using it to hit targets. Its also the cursor you would use to lock a radar target if doing A/A against another aircraft using radar. So instead of cycling tgts using TAB you would move a cursor to the specific tgt and push lock.

Ah, excellent, thanks.

Identification of target to player would be nice to change as well, having to see it otherwise not knowing what it is, for advanced radar driven you could see what type it is IE tracked, wheeled, fixed wing helicopter but not the exact craft.

That could actually serve as a realistic but also balance (so to speak) gameplay change.

ACE add's a better system for vehicle weapons but I'm sure BIS could do more.

Now with RTT we can have multiple screens and the like, since the ACE devs already made better targeting we could pretty much make it that you're in a tank looking at a screen (or you could zoom in Arma2 style.) with the controls placed around with indicators like in the TOH preview. That would be nice and add to situational awaresness (?) coupled with the ACE targeting system for huge immersion.

This wasn't about helicopters btw, tanks.

Being the person who started the topic you should be able to edit your 1st post which might allow you to add extra option to the poll.

unfortunately no. you can edit your post but not the poll. but if you need another option on the poll you can ask and i will pm a moderator.

ACE add's a better system for vehicle weapons but I'm sure BIS could do more.

Now with RTT we can have multiple screens and the like, since the ACE devs already made better targeting we could pretty much make it that you're in a tank looking at a screen (or you could zoom in Arma2 style.) with the controls placed around with indicators like in the TOH preview. That would be nice and add to situational awaresness (?) coupled with the ACE targeting system for huge immersion.

This wasn't about helicopters btw, tanks.

Those screens are for the commander not gunner, generally used for situational awareness, system management and tactical displays (locations of friendlies, battle plans etc) which would a whole new level of awesome and pushing into what should be the digital battlefield buuut that is for a different topic.

Mando Missle Mod was quite realistic, much more than vanilla and even ACE, but could have been heaps better, felt like I was playing an experimental mod not a game. If MMM could be implemented well enough to feel natural ARMA 3 would be the tits.

Mando Missle Mod was quite realistic, much more than vanilla and even ACE, but could have been heaps better, felt like I was playing an experimental mod not a game. If MMM could be implemented well enough to feel natural ARMA 3 would be the tits.

In other words, the best part:)

MMA felt quite natural and complete to me. Lazing targets is a blast.

Unfortunately MMA is chronically unreliable when your framerate isn't great. I would have to buy a top-of-the-line system if I wanted to have my Hellfires work more than 40% of the time.

I found that many vehicles/ their weapons did not get support from MMM, I mean the CMA mi28 havoc is not a vanilla helicopter, but featured vanilla missiles which i could never get to work, whereas if a system simlar to MMM could be implemented into arma 3 by the developers (less bugs, smoother and more natural and better intergrated into the rest of the game) it would be great, but when stuff like this is introduced in mods, no matter how great the mod is, it will never have that natural feel that vanilla features have IMO.

Either way the vehicles, their targeting, communitcation and weapon systems all need to be worked on and made to function realistically and not just be copout tab locking systems.

Maybe BI should make their own missile system with improved features for realism. For a flyable aircraft ideally you want a pit similar to that in Lockon Flaming cliffs 2 with working MFDs. Even better is a clickable pit and perhaps thats the better thing to aim for rather than resorting to a community mod like MMM they should look at it and make an improved weapons employment system based on a combination of the most realisitc sims out there yet simplified enough to work within the engine. eg MMM version 2 with realistic missile logic, radar scan patterns, evasion, employment.

The TAB,even if it's unrealistic,is the best choice for now,since viewdistance is limited and in most servers,you can't kill an ennemy with a guided missile if he's lagging (which is the case most of the time) all you will see is a vehicle jumping from a position to another.

The TAB,even if it's unrealistic,is the best choice for now,since viewdistance is limited and in most servers,you can't kill an ennemy with a guided missile if he's lagging (which is the case most of the time) all you will see is a vehicle jumping from a position to another.

This.

Unless the teleporting is fixed this will be terrible to use VS fast movers.

i guess we made several steps forward from a1. personally i dont have these problems very often. but i understand your point.

I am very confused... Why does everyone say the mando missile mod is realistic? I have played DCS A-10C and Black Shark along with Falcon 4.0 AF, they are WAY different from the mando mod, yet they are hard core simulators... So how is it that the mando mod is realistic?

I do NOT want to see something like the mando mod... I want to see REALISTIC FCS...

I am very confused... Why does everyone say the mando missile mod is realistic? I have played DCS A-10C and Black Shark along with Falcon 4.0 AF, they are WAY different from the mando mod, yet they are hard core simulators... So how is it that the mando mod is realistic?

I do NOT want to see something like the mando mod... I want to see REALISTIC FCS...

You're simply not going to see that level of simulation in ArmA3, unless they do it as a seperate DLC or something similarly plugin. Mando's mod, is a generic realism addon that works for most cases. The DCS stuff is far more specific to those individual aircraft.

Mando Missiles is simply an example of how a complex FCS can be integrated to the RV engine as a mod. It has its flaws but overall its more realistic than the default game. Obviously people would prefer each FCS to be as close to the real thing as possible within the scope of the game.

In fact, MMA is a framework bringing a kernel to create any type of missile warfare you want at mission level, scripted, so with full control of all the parameters and not depending on fixed values in any addon. Aside of that, MMA also comes with some usable examples like HUD, MCC, TV, Sam control. But these are just usage examples. People tend to believe that MMA is just that, the examples, and they miss completely the purpose of the pack: that you build your own systems, for you and for the community.

People tend to believe that MMA is just that, the examples, and they miss completely the purpose of the pack: that you build your own systems, for you and for the community.

Guilty as charged :o :p

I can see why this happens though, its what I thought at first until reading the readme and seeing everything you could do. The readme is how to find the more awesome features in mma.