Sign in to follow this  
purepassion

How the new dimension water can be used [Ideas & Concepts]

Warfare on/in the water is not something ArmA is good at yet, there are so many basic things we can't do atm:

- walking on a ship

- enter another ship from your ship

- fire your personal weapon on a ship

- drop handgrenades into water from a ship (even if you could, would they sink down realisticly?)

- install underwater fences via ship

- cut underwater fences with a tool

I think the more dimensions are added to ArmA the more i miss the capability to move around freely on a vehicle, let alone fire my weapon from it. We can do it inside buildings, why not in vehicles?

I fear it might be a more single player tool unfortunately.

I don't think (hope not) it will be only for single player mod.

For the shark, I don't care too much a modder already made one for Arma 2, so we might expect something for Arma3.

I think that they should focus on making a good fully functioning marine platform for launching missions. With the addition of marine gameplay should come a good base to don't you think?

Absolutely, something like HMS Bulwark or a NATO/US equivalent.

If anything, body and limb movement would be at a slower rate than on the surface, due to viscosity, buoyancy and anti-buoyancy effects. The underwater environment would also be unrealistic if it did not have currents or undertows. Also, even with breathing apparatus, you would eventually drown if you stayed underwater for some extended period of time. Other hazards, like decompression sickenss should be included to if underwater operations are to have any feel of realism. All these factors would add to the challenge of operating in an underwater environment in Arma3. Just as in real life, you would probably need to be highly trained to operate effectively and efficiently in this virtual underwater environment.

Sharks ... Meh! They are endangered in most places anyway ... its like worrying about lions and tigers and bears in Arma2. Has anyone ever encountered the killer wild boar in one of Sick1's Seal Team 6 campaigns? If you walk into this hangar at an airbase, this pig jumps on you out of a corner and kills you ...

Edited by MissionCreep

I am downloading that campaign just because of that lol

skip&Do you like the idea, would you like to add something or have completely different new ideas and concepts? Where do you see problems? Tell me :)

I would especially like to hear a professional opinion from maybe the devs to see whether you think it’s a good idea or not.

Best Greetings

PP

well, i guess you offered valid solutions to balance and to adapt the new dimension on a3.

anyway:

"How the new dimension water can be used?"

i think it will be used mostly to escape from the police in the next "island" life mission :D

Quite frankly, I don't see why bohemia is wasting their time with underwater capability.

There are VERY few missions that can take place underwater and in a short wile will become quite monotonous.

Quite frankly, I don't see why bohemia is wasting their time with underwater capability.

There are VERY few missions that can take place underwater and in a short wile will become quite monotonous.

I'm not so sure that's the case - something tells me the community will be making good use of the new element.

For under water tours of course, they can go on post cards! seriously though as far as missions themselves go it would be minute but with the add of physics the game could easily extend even further into the civilian sector.

Obviously they need it for some part of the campaign. :)

Even when the main character is SBS?

Has anyone considered that BIS are just opening up the water in maps to "facilitate" a sandbox for water, not that they are spending a massive amount of time JUST on water scenarios?

I think that opening it up for a playing field and letting users run a mock with addons is spot on, I cant see it a bad thing nor can I really see how its a waste of BIS time.

I welcome it to be honest, now you can have missions that include sea landing (not just from boats) but also abilities to mine areas, and attack and disrupt boats and shipping/carriers etc. It expands the playing field out from the island more. Think about the AIR war side with a mission how that can be disrupted, I dont just see scuber divers and that's it. Also what Mando can do with a few subs :)

Water will be a new map as I see it and that will all come down to the creativity of missions makers and addons again, yet another area and scope for more community things.

Edited by mrcash2009

Here are some of the things I hope to see in ARMA3 waters.

Search and rescue

Sub hunting from aircraft

Sub hunting from surface vessels

Board and capture surface vessels

Underwater salvage

Underwater rescue

Setting water mines

Disable water mines

Sabotage with using frogmen

Rescue hostages from Pirates.

I can’t think of anymore right now but, I’m sure some will come to me.

With a fully realized underwater level someone could script a vehicle (like a boat) to properly sink a certain way into the water depending on where it is hit. Imaging running along an aircract carrier as it tilts skyward. With the phyx integrated movement and reactions applying to players and vehilces we could doge planes that slide off the runway towards us as our running shlows from the increases angle of the runway, trying to make it to a life boat hanging off the edge!

With a fully realized underwater level someone could script a vehicle (like a boat) to properly sink a certain way into the water depending on where it is hit. Imaging running along an aircract carrier as it tilts skyward. With the phyx integrated movement and reactions applying to players and vehilces we could doge planes that slide off the runway towards us as our running shlows from the increases angle of the runway, trying to make it to a life boat hanging off the edge!

lol, suddenly i'm reminded of the old days of BF 1942 and it's carriers. I used to go after carriers in MP matches with the submarine or with the plane that had torpedoes (easier to hit carrier without the flak cannons tearing me up) so long as it wasn't against server rules to sink the carrier (personally I thought all ships were fair game, if they couldn't bother to defend/repair them, that's their problem). One time a teammate in a plane landed on the enemy carrier just as I was finishing it off. His plane was badly damaged so he landed to steal a fresh one right out from their noses, all while the carrier is sinking. I'm sitting there in the sub, watching him through the periscope as he James Bond's his way off the carrier that was now tilting at a near 45 degree angle and takes off in an enemy plane finally, LIKE A BOSS, all just before the carrier was fully submerged. ( believe that's as far as the sinking vessel titled before just submerging in the game, but it's been a long time since I played)

But yeah sorry for the slightly OT. Sinking vessels would be neat to have so long as it doesn't complicate things for the hardware, or the ability to even code it, assuming large vehicles will still be made up of different pieces.

Edited by Steakslim

Underwater capability will most certainly be littered with bugs. It would therefore mean that this will invariably draw focus away from the more important bugs that are sure to crop up.

IMO, bohemia should abandon the underwater concept, and focus on presenting us with a solid LAND and AIR based war sim

Underwater capability will most certainly be littered with bugs. It would therefore mean that this will invariably draw focus away from the more important bugs that are sure to crop up.

IMO, bohemia should abandon the underwater concept, and focus on presenting us with a solid LAND and AIR based war sim

Opinion noted. Again.

Now how's about we stick to the topic, which was how the underwater stuff can be used, not whether it should be removed. (Which, btw., ain't gonna happen.)

lol, suddenly i'm reminded of the old days of BF 1942 and it's carriers. I used to go after carriers in MP matches with the submarine or with the plane that had torpedoes (easier to hit carrier without the flak cannons tearing me up) so long as it wasn't against server rules to sink the carrier (personally I thought all ships were fair game, if they couldn't bother to defend/repair them, that's their problem). One time a teammate in a plane landed on the enemy carrier just as I was finishing it off. His plane was badly damaged so he landed to steal a fresh one right out from their noses, all while the carrier is sinking. I'm sitting there in the sub, watching him through the periscope as he James Bond's his way off the carrier that was now tilting at a near 45 degree angle and takes off in an enemy plane finally, LIKE A BOSS, all just before the carrier was fully submerged. ( believe that's as far as the sinking vessel titled before just submerging in the game, but it's been a long time since I played)

But yeah sorry for the slightly OT. Sinking vessels would be neat to have so long as it doesn't complicate things for the hardware, or the ability to even code it, assuming large vehicles will still be made up of different pieces.

Thats awsome, when my gaming computer comes back from the dead (everything died xcept gfx card) I will definatly have to check out the battlefield games outside of BF2 for consoles and the BC spinoffs.

Thats awsome, when my gaming computer comes back from the dead (everything died xcept gfx card) I will definatly have to check out the battlefield games outside of BF2 for consoles and the BC spinoffs.

I think you are a little confused. BF2 Modern combat was the console version... It was a lot different then the BF2 for PC...

I honestly don't get why the community rips on BF... I bet 90% of the community actually plays it... I personal enjoy BF. Cod 4 I also enjoyed when it first came out (the fact they keep remaking the same game is why I don't like cod any more...).

Steakslim, I remember do the exact same thing. Sometimes I'd sit around on the enemy carrier just waiting for it to sing to run and gun my way to plane all while it was sinking.

But what Bobcatbob said would be truly amazing.

I really like the Silent Hunter series. (Hate UBISOFT with a passion though.) I think BIS could easily dominate the naval sim market (small as it may be.)

Instead of a past setting, make it a large and expansive modern naval sim. Eventually, if not right from the get go, it could be integrated right into Arma 3 or future Arma installments.

A modern naval sim made by BIS... Brilliant. BIS is the standard for combat sims.

Keep up the good work BIS!

I heard that the Italian navy mod was gonig to be ported to arma 3 if possible. TBH I would just be happy with them allowing us to build big ships ourselves as mods to addin.

Possibly they could include the USS America as the base for NATO/US because that is gonig to probably be the newest AW ship type around.

I heard that the Italian navy mod was gonig to be ported to arma 3 if possible. TBH I would just be happy with them allowing us to build big ships ourselves as mods to addin.

Yes that's the projetto flotta. The small ships such as zodiacs, RHIBs, small boats and landing craft are all more or less finished.

The first big ships, a frigate and a landing ship will be ready soon.

And with the fact that most addons will be easily convertible from arma 2 to arma 3, I think we will see many Arma 1 and 2 addons in arma 3 once again.