Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Trees Look Better in ArmA 2

I loaded up ArmA 2 after getting my new motherboard, CPU, and ram and noticed that I get massive performance increase, but I also noticed that the trees look much better in ArmA 2 than they do in Operation Arrowhead.

In Operation Arrowhead, once you are far away from trees, they look terrible, no matter what settings you use. In ArmA 2 the trees look good from all distances.

Edited by Nicholas
Grammatical/Spelling Errors

It was actually noted as soon as OA was released - trees suffered horrible LODding and where poor quality compared to Arma 2.

But as most of Takistan is desert, nobody really cared.

pictures or it didn't happen ...

also check your atoc=?; setting in arma2.cfg/arma2oa.cfg file ;)

i was just about to write "cool story bro"

but now i also wait for the pictures ;)

ohh and throw this in

Edited by PurePassion

pictures or it didn't happen ...

also check your atoc=?; setting in arma2.cfg/arma2oa.cfg file ;)

Where might those files be?

Where might those files be?

Check your documents ;)

its in My Documents/Arma 2 (oa)/arma 2 (oa).cfg

AToC can be found at the very bottom ;)

I'm not a fan of most of the deciduous trees in A2 or OA. I'm embarrassed to say that the rotating 2D speedtree tech used in Oblivion looks just as good while being much less performance-heavy.

The Chernarus autumn trees look thin and insubstantial, with little bits of leaves clearly floating in space about the edges. Takistani trees meanwhile are made up of large angular polygons that only look like leaves when you get up close.

Grass, bushes, evergreens, Proving Grounds trees (thought they lag my machine) all look good.

PurePassion, the trees in OA look great up close, it's once you start moving away from them that they look horrible.

In ArmA 2, I do not see this problem at all.

And I guess maturin explained it for me:

Takistani trees meanwhile are made up of large angular polygons that only look like leaves when you get up close.

I can understand that. It explains why they look good up close and horrible from far away.

this is certainly true, but i can not really confirm they look worser than the ones present in arma 2. might look so due to a different colour..?

its also a question of personal taste, i think but yes the OA trees surely have some low LOD uglyness.

one of the first complaints about OA when it was released was the trees looking like pastel drawings from a distance.

Yeah, I've had to deal with this problem since OA came out aswell.

All the OA trees turn into goddamn blob trees from 30 Meters away.

I wish BIS would just fix it already, it makes the game so much uglier than it really is.