Sign in to follow this  
tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment WiP Thread

Hi,

The idea behind this Mod is to:

- Get rid of BIS sound system limitations and shortcomings,

- fix Speed of Sound problems,

- add more variability to the sounds heard ingame depending on distance and environment,

- work clientside,

- use different sound when using ACE earplugs (muffled) and specific sound when firing last round in magazine,

- support for different interior/exterior sounds in vehicles (weapons),

- automatically detect 3rd party mods/weapons with custom sounds and let them be

Its a scripted system, which can efficiently handle ~60 simultaneously fired shots in hearing range. Currently it has 5 distance parameters: 1 person, close, medium, far, distant pop and 6 environmental conditions: desert, desert with buildings nearby, woodland (terrains with lots of trees around), woodland with buildings nearby, forest, and indoor.

Demonstration videos:

Old:

2012.03.07:

2012.07.08:

New:

Edited by tpM
update

'Sounds' great tpM. I take it that ACE won't be necessary, but additional?

I reckon 60 sounds at once should be fine :)

To run ACSE flawless, You'll mostly need to increase sound sample count in Your audio options. I recently tried out 3 Russian infantry squads firing madly. I had no problems with SoS, no choked samples - just perfect :)

The issue with MP is that createVehicleLocal doesn't work as expected with ammo rounds. This means that enabling this system to work as advertised in MP will be very hard, if possible, thing to do.

very excited to see this. The only barrier between Arma 2 and newer gen first person shooters is sound, and it has been broken with this addon.

This 'new approach' (in conjunction with DSS)..is just WOW! :eek:

Is there any hope this mod will officially replace ACE_SM?

I love the explosions and bullet hit sounds of ACE_SM-but when comes

to weapons...i just don't know :(

-and the biggest problem is..servers that using ACE will not bother to use

other addons (except for some community made Terrains maybe)-and ACRE.

*giggles with glee*

But is there a big performance hit on top of the sound sample requirement?

Will it only work with those few sounds we've heard you guys release so far? Or could we install a version that would fix the speed of sound with ALL weapons. I would vote you mod of the year just for that.

GiorgyGR:

ACE SM is a standalone soundmod (you can use it without ACE), dont know what do you mean under "official replacement" :).

Maturin:

It'll require at least 48 sample count to work smoothly, but I dont think that will be a problem.

I'm not sure if I understand your 2nd sentence. It'll affect most of (if not all) weapons, including ACEX ones.

I'm not sure if I understand your 2nd sentence. It'll affect most of (if not all) weapons, including ACEX ones.

Are you planning on just doing handheld weapons? Or vehicle weapons too?

Because all sorts of sounds have speed of sound problems, playing instantly instead of being delayed. So if you don't create sounds for every odd cannon and launcher in the game, could you fix the speed of sound problems of all weapons anyways?

Edited by maturin

Great news, I like the DSS mod, and it looks like this takes it a step further. Thanks for the effort, and I hope you make it work in MP. If not, that's cool, I'll use it in SP then.

Awesome.

Be sure to make all sounds realistic and loud as they are irl.

I hate how sometimes in Arma some gun will be quiet and the other loud as hell, ruins the immersion imo.

maturin:

We're going to make all vanilla infantry and vehicle weapon sounds replaced just to make sure they have comparable loudness levels. I was working hard to incorporate features like better burst handling for multiple guns (for example ZU-23, ZSU-23, 2S6M), so even such issues should be improved.

About 3rd party addons, making them compatible with ACSE would be easy as pie - otherwise they'll simply use their default sounds, so nothing should break there.

Well that's just awesome. I like the sounds in the video, too. I suppose now that the sounds don't have to stand in for all ranges and conditions, you can be suitably thunderous with the close-up discharges.

Speaking of vehicle weapons, it will be also possible to have different interior/exterior sounds for vehicle weapons like tank guns, gunship autocannons etc...

Speaking of vehicle weapons, it will be also possible to have different interior/exterior sounds for vehicle weapons like tank guns, gunship autocannons etc...

Ofcourse not, everyone knows Arma2 is very unmoddable. /sarcasm

Mate, this is sounds great to me! With such a 'system' I would able to really create the sound I ever wanted to do! This is nice. Best of luck mates!

Jarhead

Hey I have a question and maybe I already have the answer but:

automatically detect 3rd party mods/weapons with custom sounds and let them be,

If I have a custom soundmod, does this mean that it inherits this system while using its own sound or will just be the soundmod without the system?

maybe the answer?:

It'll affect most of (if not all) weapons, including ACEX ones.

And then last question:

making them compatible with ACSE would be easy as pie - otherwise they'll simply use their default sounds, so nothing should break there.

Does this mean that the soundmodmaker needs to make some script of some kind? or is it something other people can do?

Other soundguys just need to make their sounds and config them the way they like.

GiorgyGR:

ACE SM is a standalone soundmod (you can use it without ACE), dont know what do you mean under "official replacement" :).

Tnx tpM

Heh..with the "official" expression i mean that every server (and maybe 90% of clients) who uses ACE,they do it with the help of SIX_updater or YOMA sync-and they get ACE_SM also by "Default" in a manner of speaking.

Now..an extra SoundMod?

I 'believe' in your vision..but my estimation will be at best 70-80% of clan/public ACE servers will NOT get in the trouble to integrate an EXTRA Soundmod (although this SM opens NEW possibilities) :(

*Please excuse the poor use of English language..and i hope :

1)..either this will be the new "default" ACE_SM..

2)..either my (sad) estimations will fail ..

Thanks again

are the distance sounds generated or is it possible to add different sound samples?

Looks great! Will you be including helo and vehicle engine sounds as well or just weapons??

Edited by TaskForce215

Other soundguys just need to make their sounds and config them the way they like.

ok thanks

This........................is.......................wonderful!!! Finally one code-guy who actually found out how to make this to what it should've been! Can't wait to try out the system! GJ!

Yeah, it's a real amazing piece.

This........................is.......................wonderful!!! Finally one code-guy who actually found out how to make this to what it should've been! Can't wait to try out the system! GJ!

Hey anders, will you going to tweak or even make a new sound mod based on ACSE? I really like the sounds you've made with your mod.

^^ Definately will sir! And u can count on that it wouldn't sound like my previous work, cause of the new playground for soundmaking. I've got some really nice ideas for distant sound fx with both gunshots and explosions.

About people asking for vehicle sounds. I think u should skip this totally. Just aim for the guns, those are the ones that needs more freedom to aim at realism. The vehicle sound-system works allright as it is. And it's a REAL pain in the ass to add even more sounds to vehicles. Ask every arma2 sound-modder...

This would never get released if they were bout to release with vehiclesounds based on this system anyways.